To compare the two is like apples and oranges. When the F16 can compete heads up with the A Class without adding a quasi spinnaker to do it, then you can make a fair comparison. Until then they are two different animals.
To each his own.

Gordon,

I certainly don't want to project any disrespect to the A Class. On the contrary, the A's are a talent and technological benchmark for singlehanded sailing.

I disagree, however, that they cannot be compared. Obviously, no two classes are the same--that's why they're separate classes. But there is no closer boat to that F16 uni (and sloop, to a lesser extent) than the A class, in terms of technology, performance, tuning, and even technique. Of course the spinnaker makes them different. But until I can keep with the tail end of the A class upwind, I've got room to improve.

When the talent and technology in the F16 class matures, I believe head to head racing with the A class will be fair and fun. In fact, I'm ready to try now, although my boat design is on par with 1990 A class boats.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California