1. on lenth i would make it long to start. the lenth will be determined by the sail cut. and the the attacment point on the mast "head". overlaps and such.

2. my opinion is no "keep it simple"

3. i would use a compresion post from the pole to the apex of the bridle wires. you will be able to adjust the angle of the pole by shorting the lenth of the post.

4. if you use a stiff enough pole and a compression post. you use two simple guide line to keep the pole centered undet the post. i attached these to the bridle wire tangs.

5. I used a 3in 1/4 wall square tube. this is open for argument. at 17 ft long with the comprsion post post approx 50% of the distance. i run it un stayed. to the end.. if you use stays you definetly can use a thiner wall.

i run my reacher approx 3ft in front of the comperssion post and the spin anther 3-4 ft out. take a look at these pictures via link. i have made several changes since these photos mainly shorting the compression post to raise the foot.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?...=view_album.php

there maybe better ways than this but this cheap light and easyly adjusted. in my opinion. good luck