Macca,

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't see what you mean when you say
the top is not actually balanced as there is more load on the right hand side
. If you look at the aft view, and note that the becket is mounted on the side of the mast, then it should be clear that there is no torque to twist the boom around its long axis, since each secondary line on the outside of the boom is matched by another on the opposite side that is equally loaded. (That's why the becket is placed where it is: on the side.)

It is true that there is more boom compression load on the right side of the boom than the left. That might bow the boom microscopically, but should not twist it.

Thanks for the note about the singles low causing trouble. I am anticipating some possible trouble there. I could just use a double (or tripple) and keep it down low to minimize the angle, but I think I want to try this out for jollies, and possibly create a silicone+line composite structure to keep those blocks loosely organized, but where they can still move.

the best way we have designed (yet to build) is to have it all in line. 3:1 inline (block with becket at bottom [and] singles inside boom) at the back and 3:1 inside the boom, this should be very free running and gives enough purchase.

That would certainly eliminate any boom twisting.

I'm trying to stay away from anything less then 4:1 in the secondary because I don't want to spend the $$ on high load ball bearing blocks for the secondary system. The downside is that I must use more blocks as a result, meaning more friction. The up side is that I can use much cheaper blocks. Also, since the extra blocks are in the secondary, where I'll be using small diameter vectran, I expect drag won't be an issue.

Anyway, your claim that the system will twist has got me riled, and I guess I'll have to build the system to prove you wrong. ;-) While I'm at it, I think I'll at the extra blocks to make this a 13:1 / 9:1 convertable system since you seem happy with yours, though mine will use 2:1+4:1 and 2:1+6:1 to achieve the advantage, where yours uses 3:1+3:1 and 3:1+4:1.

I'll keep you posted.

--Glenn