What is a realistic budget for a Tybee 500 campaign, considering you have a boat? (hotel, food, gas, graphics on boat) Include total expenses for skipper, crew, and ground crew. And don't assume that we would already own the gear required for distance racing. (GPS, EPERB, drysuits, etc)

Here's what we spent last year on actually doing the race. We spent a considerable amount on the boat prep because the boat was pretty tired but I'm not going to get into that!

Fuel: $365 (it was $3.00/gal high and I'm not sure we captured it all)
Hotels: $1,850 (two rooms at each stop)
Food: $286 (didn't capture it all...probably more like $600-800 for full support of ground crew)
Entry: $500

Total for running the race on a mild budget = $3000 before the extras....

Throw in team t-shirts for about $400 - $500 but you'll probably sell a few. Gear - I think you guys already have dry suits, you need radio($250), strobes ($40), xtra gloves, ($35), lanyard (to leash to boat ($40), grit and determination (free).

The epirb requirement is changing this year. The CG will no longer support the $149 version. You'll have to pony up for a couple of $400 units (I think ... haven't checked pricing on the new ones lately).

It really is an incredible experience. Approaching the beach in Tybee, you'll think to yourself "thank God, this is almost over". After a beer on the beach and maybe even a shower in the hotel room, you'll be pondering how you are going to piece together next year's run. It's a life altering accomplishment...I can only imagine what completing 1000 miles is like.