I don't think there would be an issue if it were the written class rule that all F16s

The F16 class rules start with the following text :

******************************************************************************************

Prologue: The Formula 16 class

The Formula 16 class for high performance beach catamarans is a mildly restricted class, reserved for sport catamarans that may be sailed either doublehanded or singlehanded. The designs are of amateur or professional construction and are intended for racing on elapsed time with respect to other Formula 16 designs, as well as Formula 18 class designs.

******************************************************************************************

In effect the level racing between 1-up and 2-up boats is adressed here.

I don't think we'll actually see any further class rules actually demanding both setup being rated equal under USPN. That is not something that is for the F16 class rule to determine.

As far as I know; all 1-up F16 sailors in the USA are atively requesting at each event to race of the 2-up USPN handicap. From California to Florida and Alabama to Illinois. This is about as "class official" as it is going to get at this time.

I think there has been some discussions going on between the US class and USPN but I really should refer to Tom Shannon to get the facts. However there may not be enough time before the start of the event to ask him and so I write this posting. Tom ?

Though - I still wonder how much actual race data has been gathered that supports a "single rating" position?

Luckily nobody is asking me that question as I have totally given up on USPN ever converging on a realistic number here. The sailors just want a realistic number and they don't want to wait another 5 years for it. Pardon my French here.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands