I encountered one. My lock on my sailboat, a Prindle 16, rusted and I had to cut it off. Before I had a chance to replace it, a group of kids had pushed the boat out in the ocean. The coast guard found it about 20 miles North in the gulf stream and towed it to the Jupiter lighthouse. One of my friends saw it and called me.

Two of us packed up the sails, radio/cd player and cooler and set off to retrieve the boat. We made it about half way home before the sun set and the wind died. We stopped near the Juno Pier and reloaded the cooler and picked up some sandwiches at a gas station. About 3am we finally floated home and turned the boat toward the beach. About 40 yards out, I heard this noise behind us and before I knew it we were surfing this six footer in to the shore. It was a bear trying not to capsize. There was still no wind and we already had our weight balanced. We ended up using the jib to help steer the boat.

The wave was not huge by any means but the seas had been flat the entire day/night.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com