Steeplechase tips.

I have not done this race in about 5 years, but I did it 5 or 6 times.

Some of the tips I Have learned the hard way

1. when you exit the creek on day 1 don’t bear off right away to go south. You will run over a shitload of sand bars and have to walk. Follow the channel out at least a ¼ mile before turning down.

2. Aproaching the finish on the first day, overstand and come in perpendicular to the beach. There are more big sandbars on the direct line to the finish.

3. Before you start the second day, tape your booties to your ankles with duct tape. If you have to step off the boat because you tried to sail over a mud bank and got stuck you will loose your booties in the mud

4. Don’t try to cross the shallows where the little mangrove trees are sticking out of the water. These are the shallowest spots.

5. make sure your boards can be pulled up fast, realy fast. Mark the board where it is up inside the hull with none sticking out. When you pull them up to cross a mud flat, you know they won’t stick.

6. When you get in the mangroves on the second day hug one side or the other. Usualy you can ghost along on the side with the top of the sail in light air above the mangrove. If that does not work break out your wooden spinnaker. Look up a lot so you don’t sail your boat into an overhanging branch and get stuck

The following advice is Florida keys related, not necessarily steeplechase related.

There is a good medical clinic on Islamarada that used to have a exceptionally cute nurse. They like patching up sailors, because all they ever see is jetskiers that run each other over. She does not like to be called nurse Ratchet.

Never let someone take your stitches out when you and she are drunk( no matter how cute she is).

Forensic pathologists are not a good source of medical advice when they have been drinking (or sober for that matter).

If you use too much lighter fluid to light the charcoll grill on your hobie 21 wing, sail upwind and you won’t set you mainsail on fire.

And the last gem from a sailor who shall remain nameless “ If you going to sleep around in the keys, wear 2 condoms and saran wrap your balls”

Good Luck
Eric