Hi, I might have responded to your other post but here goes again. I haven't owned a 16 or other Hobie before, but I bought a getaway last May. I have sailed and pitchpoled several times on a 16. to answer your questions:
<br>
<br>1. I had 5 adults on it in 25 mph wind. We were FLYING!!!! almost had the hull out of the water with everyone sitting on the windward hull. On that day, all the 16's were on the beach and only one 18 was playing in the heavy wind. We buried the bows a couple times and sailed right through it, it was awesome. I just got the wings on mine, and sailed with them for the first time last thurs. The speed improvement in moderate wind was noticeable (either that or the fact of sitting 3 feet above the water). The wings are a must have.
<br>
<br>2. not enough experience to answer
<br>
<br>3. i wouldn't say easily, i think the 16 have a much "easier" time lifting the hull from the weight difference of the boats. Flew the hull for the first time a month ago and out of excitement i just froze up (so we went over).
<br>
<br>4. Very durable. Aside from the hinges [of which, the getaway has none], think about that 10 year old cooler you have in your garage. The plastic is thick and strong. I have scratched it up a little, but I don't think that can be avoided.
<br>
<br>5. setup in 10 - 20 minutes with another person.
<br>
<br>6. donno.
<br>
<br>7. donno, but this year's midamerica's race at Lake Texoma had an open class. Had one Getaway in it (would have been two, if my sister's wedding wasn't that weekend frown ) This is the first year they are selling 'em, so it might take a couple of years.
<br>
<br><br><br>Ssyba
<br>'01 Hobie Getaway

Attached Files
925- (32 downloads)

Ssyba '01 Hobie Getaway