I've got some core cell in the basement, I was planning on building a core cell, fiberglass, epoxy sandwich trailor box. Now I'm worried all the hard edges on the stuff inside will poke holes in the laminate. So, I'm thinking about adding Kevlar to the mix. I originally was going to add thin strips of Black Locust (hard, strong and water/rot resistant) to the bottom. Has anyone worked with Kevlar Veil?
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-category-14.html
Kevlar fabric is a little pricy at $49 a yard. How about a wood skin? Can any of the engineers on this forum help me with this?

Sorry for hyjacking your thread Bob.

By the way, the vision is a box painted the same color as the boat.
Bill

.25oz veil? Wow...that's whisper light - not much meat in there. It might have some use in the model boat we're constructing but that's pretty thin to consider it 'structural' in anything human-sized. I've got some 1.5oz e-glass cloth that is like silk.

Seriously, what I said before, build a stud based wall with 1X's flat. Connect the ends, sides, and bottom (perhaps build the top with the 1X's on end on the inside of the side walls thereby forming an inset lip for a lid). Horizontally knee brace the major corners up high and down low with small triangle pieces of plywood. Skin that structure with thin plywood (luan is fine). Fiberglass the exterior with 5oz cloth or better (polyester resin is fine if you are going to paint). "paint" the inside with epoxy resin (better moisture resistance if you are not going to paint the inside). Then sand and fair (if you care) the exterior and paint with a decent urethane.

I would consider building an entire trailer wide box under the cat with two lengthwise top lids and maybe one rear access hatch. Maybe even seal up one side / 2/3's of the box with a drain for stowing wet gear for the ride home.

It would weigh a little more than an aluminum box but it will cost a little less and be highly customizable.