We have the lifejackets and all. But you're right, my wife doesn't know how to sail, although she has grown up on the water (powerboating). She has enjoyed sailing/crewing in the past, but so far efforts to get her interested in learning how to do it haven't been successful. And you're probably right, as a result she doesn't fully trust me or the boat, and may not have confidence in her ability to help out. The first times under sail there will need to be three adults - me, another able crew, and my wife. Right now even transfering the little one to the boat at the dock makes my wife nervous. Again, lifejacket is on. I'm happy for the maternal instinct, and am happy to work with it to be successful. She's definitely more comfortable around the powerboats, so it is likely a familiarity thing.

I think she sees the **** as the busy place (F-27 **** being a bit small), and the tramps are out of the way. At rest there's a little slope outward which is what scared her, my point is that under sail the windward tramp is level or sloping in.

Daughter's just turning 2, so no swimming lessons yet. But I make an effort to take her in/near the water as much as possible, and she's gotten some kayak rides and power boat rides in. This year at least her life jacket should fit a little better - that's a major thing.

Anyway, always happy to see/hear about people getting children out there, and always looking for hints for me to be successful at it. Thanks for your input!