Thank you very much for the quick response. I can completely understand the saftey concern that is associated with the older model mast tips. The 300 dollars does seem like a lot to a guy like myself, sailing on a very limited budget, as well as considering the overall cost of my boat. However, I am very relieved to know that there are considerations in pricing being made for individuals that own an older model boat, which was one of my initial concerns. I would like to begin attending regattas and the discovery that I had bought a boat that would basically be illegal to race was a little saddening. But I'm glad to know that Hobie USA is still supporting this. Plus, I know you guys are offering quality stuff. If I ever get any good at sailing this thing I may look into making her legit. I certainly wouldn't expect any company to cover a retrofit of this expence for all of the boats based on what wasn't a company change initially. I can understand how this could have been an inconvieniece on a number of levels but I agree with the "better safe than sorry" principle. It would be interesting to know what Coleman had to say though. Thanks again.
James

James
1983 Hobie 16'