"All the windsurfer and even Innovation explorer records are done in perfectly flat water only a few meters aways from a dry sandbar, the coast or in a specially dug ditch."

that may be true of the new records...but windsurfers hit 40+ mph regularly in rough water...it might not be 45 knotts ...but still 40 mph in a wicked 3-4' chop on top of a good ground swell is still moving really fast on the water.

Right, the trouble only is proving it.

Over the period, both the wind surfer and kite boarder lost a bed against an olympic tornado held at the German boatshow.

At the the deli petit navire we have more then enough photo evidence that windsurfer and kite boarders are not that fast after all. Look at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE&mode=related&search=

(and you really should look at this video)

For two seasons now I know personally that kite boards can't perform in the conditions I'm out with my cat (up to 25 knots) despite using the biggest kite sizes. And I'm no where near 40 mph.

Pretty much to only reall impressive speed data we have of both kite and windsurfer comes from the French Ditch, walvisbaai and several stretches along a dyke or the Danish sandbars where the water is only 3 feet and perfectly flat.

I guess alot of people just assume that they reach these same speeds when they are going 50 % airtime over the large swell at their local pond, but they are mostly not.

I thought you guys would be much more tuned into windsurfing in europe than we are here in the US...but either you live where the windsurfing sailing talent is on the less extreme side of things or maybe it just never interested you to the point of really paying a lot of attention to it.

None of the above is the case.

But it is too much to detail at this time.

Usually when the conditions are really good for high performance windsurfing no ones on the beach because they don't like getting sand blasted...Tell Dunkerbeck you can't go fast on rough water...

"Usually when the conditions are really good for high performance windsurfing"

Exactly my point !

These things need very special conditions to perform up to the 40+ knots range.

And please lets not trouble the water by coming back with 40 MPH claims. We are talking knots here and not miles per hour or 40 km per hour. It is 40+ knots or you are simply not in the game.

but still 40 mph in a wicked 3-4' chop on top of a good ground swell is still moving really fast on the water.

Hydroptere (in the video on its webpage) is sailing in something more then "wicked 3-5 chop" and it is also a little faster then 40 mph (= 35.6 knots).

Sorry mate, windsurfers are fast craft but hydroptere does something really exceptional here.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 01/24/07 04:34 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands