I thought every boat scam possible had been attempted at me. I've had the Nigerian prince thing, the "my guy owes me $10k, he'll send it to you, and you send me the balance," and of course all the emails asking my final asking price and would I take cashier check from bank of kookamunga, etc, etc. Well, last night, I got a new hit that I had never since, well, never heard before.
Gather my children and ye shall hear of the midnight call of some scamming queer...

It was 10:30 EST, and I get a call from an operator asking if I knew what "Relay" was. I didn't, and I thought it was some sort of sales call. I was very angry that they called me at 10:30 at night as well. I hung up. They called back. They asked if I knew what "Relay" was, and I said "no." Relay is a system where someone without the ability to speak (a mute) can type to an operator, who then reads the words to the person on the phone (me in this case). The light came on for me, and I agreed to talk to whoever was typing.
This guy's name was Jack, and he wanted to know if I still hade my 2000 Nacra 20 for sale. I said "no," and then he hung up. I got another call about 1 hour later (11:30 pm EST), again from a Relay operator. Jack wanted to know if I still had my Nacra 5.5 for sale. I said no. He asked if I had any other items for sale. That's when I started to pick up on the game. I said that I have a Hobie 16 for sale. He wanted pictures, and proceeded to give me his email address - jack04mike@yahoo.ca (I hope the spammers are watching!)
He also told me he lived in Sunnyvale, CA. I told him I am in NC. I ended up getting another call later last night, at about 12:05 am, again it was Jack, wanting to know if I still had my Tanzer 16 for sale. At this point, I told the operator that "Jack" had called me multiple times, and that I wasn't very happy right now, and I didn't want to continue the call. Jack didn't call back again thankfully.

When I checked my email this morning, I had this email from a guy named "Jack Jones" :
Dear Owner, My Name Is Jack Jones, I'm interesting to buy
your ( 1982 Nacra 5.2 catamaran sailboat ) i live in Sunnyvale, CA 94087, I will
like to know your final asking price for your adverts
posted for sale and the present Conditions also to let
you know that payment will be made by Certified Check
OR Certified Usps Money Order do you accept?also i
will like to see some pictures of it and if its
available,you can attached it and send it to me as
soon as possible.Hope to read from you soonest.

Cheers,
Thanks

It looks like Jack was busy last night between calling me at least 4 or 5 times, and then sending me emails.

Moral of the story: Watch out for spammers calling you on "Relay."

The end.

Trey