M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
Just read a comment somewhere (I think it was in
Sailing World) by Stuart Walker that all the old monohull O.D are thriving i.e. Lightnings,Snipes,Stars... where as the new designs have a limited and fleeting following.I think you will see and are seeing the same trend in multihulls.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: H17cat] #122740
11/11/07 01:17 PM
11/11/07 01:17 PM
O
Olli Offline
stranger
Olli  Offline
stranger
O

When we met at the US SAILING AGM in Phoenix last month and represented you, the Multihull Sailors, the Multihull Council was pleased to report, as noted in another post, the USA Olympic Sailing Committee submitted to the ISAF the recommendation for the 2012 Olympics to include two multihull classes.

The three USA ISAF members decided to go against the recommendations of US SAILING and voted to eliminate the multihull class in the 2012 Olympics.

You may wish to share your feelings with the three USA ISAF Delegates:
David Irish daveirish@irishboatshop.com
Charley Cook chascook@comcast.net
Cory Sertl corysertl@rochester.rr.com

Be polite, but let them know what you think of their decision.

Caleb Tarleton, Multihull Council

Let's not forget that US Sailing was first to propose no multihull in 2012. It was only after the uproar that was changed, but they fully knew that even their own delegates would not be voting for it. Hell, they even threw in two multihull classes in the proposal. Why not. Make it look like we are doing something fully knowing that their delegates will not be voting for them.

I wish more people in the US would have had the opportunity to sail the Tornado and see first hand how badly US Sailing treats them. You have no idea the crap they go thru even during an event like the OCR.

Here is a good example from this summer... US Sailing had a container coming back from Europe half empty. A US Tornado team campaigning there training for the trials asked if they could send their boat back in that container. The response was a flat NO. US Sailing would rather send the container half empty than allow a multihull team to use it.

I blame US Sailing and I for one am done sending my money there to support their stupid laser program. Their assigned multihull coach by his own admission said that he knows absolutely nothing about multis. Nor has he any interest in learning them.

US Sailing and ISAF can just ki$$ my a$$.

Let's get organized so we can just having some control over the promotion and funding of our sport. We have some very talented multihull sailors who are not getting any support from our 'national organization'. It's time we divert those funds to our own sailors.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: rhodysail] #122741
11/11/07 01:27 PM
11/11/07 01:27 PM
O
Olli Offline
stranger
Olli  Offline
stranger
O

Personally I can't see any reason to retain my membership. It would probably be viewed as a small gesture I guess, but if 305 members resigned en masse it would at least indicate what the cat community thinks about this.

I did just that yesterday and also stepped off the MHC. I've heard about as much lip service as I can stand.

Way to go Bob! I'm right behind you.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: mbounds] #122742
11/11/07 01:35 PM
11/11/07 01:35 PM
O
Olli Offline
stranger
Olli  Offline
stranger
O

Personally I can't see any reason to retain my membership. It would probably be viewed as a small gesture I guess, but if 305 members resigned en masse it would at least indicate what the cat community thinks about this.

I did just that yesterday and also stepped off the MHC. I've heard about as much lip service as I can stand.

Unfortunately, because ISAF Regulation 19 applies to the H-16 North Americans (participants in a North Americans of an ISAF International Class must be members of their MNA), that means you won't be eligible to sail in the 16 NA's in Clear Lake, Iowa next year.

You might want to reconsider that, Bob.

You can bet your butt that I'm going to corner David Sprague at the ODSS next weekend and inquire why he voted against the multihull.

BTW, I'm planning to wear black all next weekend at the ODSS in protest.

Matt, Who the hell cares about ISAF regulation anything at this point. We have NO reason to be involved with ISAF any longer.

It would be really stupid to not allow people to compete at the NAs for that reason. This is the time to make a statement.

We are no longer part of ISAF and it's time for IHCA to step away. I for one would support that. Hell, I'll even get a H16 again and go to IOWA or wherever they are next year.

So you are advocating turning me away from the Tiger NAs as well because I'm no longer a member of US Sailing?

I think we need to boycott the Alter Cup as well. We should hold another non US Sailing sanctioned National Multihull championship on the F18 Capricorn next year.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Olli] #122743
11/11/07 01:39 PM
11/11/07 01:39 PM
O
Olli Offline
stranger
Olli  Offline
stranger
O

Just sent an email to membership@ussailing.org to cancel.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Olli] #122744
11/11/07 01:40 PM
11/11/07 01:40 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

I think boycotting the Alter Cup would actually benefit the anticatamaran faction.

It isn't my ox being gored so I don't have the same emotional response. I will, however, join you in expressing my displeasure.

The underhanded manner in which the matter has been handled is clearly bad policy.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: fin.] #122745
11/11/07 01:45 PM
11/11/07 01:45 PM
O
Olli Offline
stranger
Olli  Offline
stranger
O

I think boycotting the Alter Cup would actually benefit the anticatamaran faction.

It isn't my ox being gored so I don't have the same emotional response. I will, however, join you in expressing my displeasure.

The underhanded manner in which the matter has been handled is clearly bad policy.

We can still hold an Alter Cup with the sailors who have qualified but not do it under US Sailing. This would be an excellent opportunity to support a new US Multihull association (or NAMSA maybe?) to get it off the ground.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Olli] #122746
11/11/07 02:01 PM
11/11/07 02:01 PM
F
fin. Offline
Carpal Tunnel
fin.  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
F

We can still hold an Alter Cup with the sailors who have qualified but not do it under US Sailing. This would be an excellent opportunity to support a new US Multihull association (or NAMSA maybe?) to get it off the ground.

Are you sure? I suspect there are proprietary rights involved*. Just a guess.

Clearly multihulls need better representation.

* If I were running the Hobie Company, I would be very interested in gaining control of the name "Alter Cup" and making it a Hobie only event.

Last edited by Tikipete; 11/11/07 02:12 PM.
Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Olli] #122747
11/11/07 03:15 PM
11/11/07 03:15 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
"We are no longer part of ISAF and it's time for IHCA to step away. I for one would support that. Hell, I'll even get a H16 again and go to IOWA or wherever they are next year"

Great, Clear Lake Iowa,Divsion 7 putting it on .Hope to see you there(Multihulls will be included at this event).

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: mmadge] #122748
11/11/07 03:33 PM
11/11/07 03:33 PM
Zurich
Daniel_Gut Offline
Daniel_Gut  Offline

Zurich
Its a sad days for Hitech sailing and a kick in the teeth for multihull sailing. I agree with Rohans sentiments here:
http://www.rohanveal.com/

Daniel

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Olli] #122749
11/11/07 04:48 PM
11/11/07 04:48 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Matt, Who the hell cares about ISAF regulation anything at this point. We have NO reason to be involved with ISAF any longer.

Hey! - don't shoot the messenger! I'm just quoting the regs. I didn't make them up and I have no control over Hobie Cat's (both Europe and USA) involvement with ISAF.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Stewart] #122750
11/11/07 05:41 PM
11/11/07 05:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

... which I've also pointed out to the locals at crew.org.nz.

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: mbounds] #122751
11/11/07 05:44 PM
11/11/07 05:44 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

Ollie, all,
I too will have to re-think my US Sailing membership including my volunteer position on the P/N committee. The sticker on my car and boat just don't mean anything to me anymore so I'm scraping them off tonight. Going to start out the week "US Sailing Free". And I'm all for a p/n rating system like the ones used in Europe as they take all the guess work out of it. The time is NOW to move away from US Sailing and the ISAF.

Count me in to help with the new association,
Bob Curry

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: 16nut] #122752
11/11/07 05:55 PM
11/11/07 05:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So in your world I should just get therapy for my need to sail a single-handed spinnaker cat?

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Bob_Curry] #122753
11/11/07 05:56 PM
11/11/07 05:56 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Ollie, all,
I too will have to re-think my US Sailing membership including my volunteer position on the P/N committee. The sticker on my car and boat just don't mean anything to me anymore so I'm scraping them off tonight. Going to start out the week "US Sailing Free". And I'm all for a p/n rating system like the ones used in Europe as they take all the guess work out of it. The time is NOW to move away from US Sailing and the ISAF.

Count me in to help with the new association,
Bob Curry

Interesting to see what happens to SCHRS !

We are affilliated with the ISAF and it is their rating system for Cats !

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: Daniel_Gut] #122754
11/11/07 06:04 PM
11/11/07 06:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Give that man a chocolate fish!

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: BrianK] #122755
11/11/07 06:06 PM
11/11/07 06:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sign me up!

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: ] #122756
11/11/07 06:17 PM
11/11/07 06:17 PM
F
F18arg Offline
F18arg  Offline
F

Incredible how we all feel the same, no matter if you are Darren Bundock or a club sailor. We don´t belong to ISAF anymore.

IMSA is on its way promoted by UKCRA
http://www.imsaf.org/

Petition
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/multihullinolympics/index.html

Darren Bundock words:
http://sailjuiceblog.com/

So long ISAF! as Darren says, who cares about ISAF "... we have the ULTIMATE boat"

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: ] #122757
11/11/07 06:18 PM
11/11/07 06:18 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
Here is a reply back from one of our Canadian Reps David Sprague

"Thanks Mike for the note.

I am sorry that I was not able to vote for the Mens Multihull but I took my instructions from the CYA on positioning. They were clear in their instructions that the CYA position was to support the Keel boat first before the Multi and because the way the voting was going I had to vote for the Keelboat and not for the Multihull. A vote for the Multihull would have helped eliminate the the Keelboat based on the way the voting was going. In the voting, as I am sure you must have by seen now, it was really a fight between the Keel and Multi. If you wanted one the other should not get your vote.

In the Women's events I am sorry to say the Multihull really had no chance and a vote for it would have wasted Canada's vote (multihull got 3 votes, the lowest one to get a spot got 21 votes with the other one eliminated when they only got 20 votes). The battle there was between the High Performance 2 person dinghy and the Match Race, again there I had a difficult position, as did Fiona, because we had to vote for one or the other but not both. (There we/Canada lost the High Performance by 2 votes of 35).

I know that it was a disappointment for you and others including Oskar. I recognize the value that Multihulls have (I was the Canadian RO at Kingston for the Hobie - 29'r course at the Youth Worlds and a Race Official for the Qingdao Tornado Medal race in August). I am quite concerned that the ISAF have not seen the value of the very high performance boats like Multihulls and the 2 person Women's dinghy but that is another battle.

Feel free to call me when I am back late this week and I would be pleased to talk to you about ISAF and how the decisions are made. I know losing Olympic status is hard to accept but for some classes/disciplines it is a blessing. Not for all but sometimes it helps a discipline. Time will tell here.

Mike thanks for the note and I hope to talk to you later this week."

Re: Tornado ruled out by ISAF [Re: mbounds] #122758
11/11/07 06:59 PM
11/11/07 06:59 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37

Hey! - don't shoot the messenger! I'm just quoting the regs. I didn't make them up and I have no control over Hobie Cat's (both Europe and USA) involvement with ISAF.
Matt, If all these regs are so damned important why does HCANA freely hand out championship trophies to non-members? It's only $25, but it's the principle of the thing. It doesn't send a good message to the general population of the class. hijack off

John H16, H14
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 663 guests, and 145 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022