S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Trapseat Worlds discussion roll call:
<br>
<br>Trapseat sailors (and for those who would like to participate) please indicate in this thread if you are present by making a post or commenting on the following World Trapseat Championships document contained right be below this message, or both:
<br>
<br>One final note this forum is currently the OFFICIAL H16 / TRAPSEAT FORUM so please us it as such, thank you.
<br>
<br>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
<br>
<br>July 23, 2001
<br>
<br>Kathy Campbell
<br>Chairperson, Disabled Sailing
<br>Canadian Yachting Association
<br>
<br>Dear Kathy,
<br>
<br>Please find enclosed our second DRAFT but with pictures - proposal for the Trapseat 16 World Championships.
<br>
<br>Hans is prepared to work quickly and seriously on the trapseat production (we could also research the possibility of finding the 10 sets that are apparently in England somewhere, although I couldn’t find them last time).
<br>
<br>Ron’s recommendation (and the proposal reflects this) is for boat rotations ( we still think there will be too much discrepancy in the quality of boats provided to make fair boat assignments for boat charter??). Ron also questions the ability of many of the skippers to sail every race for four days. I could still go either way.
<br>
<br>Please let us know your thoughts on this stuff:
<br>Questions: CYA support for the event? for trapseat production? Cost for international judges?
<br>We have an application to fill out for City of Kelowna event funding?? We’ll see what we can get.
<br>
<br>Gillian Thomson
<br>gthomson@sd23.bc.ca
<br>h- 250-764-1104
<br>w-250-470-3267 (if urgent)
<br>
<br>Ron Rubadeau
<br>rrubadea@sd23.bc.ca
<br>h – 250-868-0388
<br>w – 250-860-8888
<br>Cell – 250-470-0041
<br>
<br>Thank so much for all your work on this event, so far.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
<br>
<br>Gillian Thomson
<br>Central Okanagan Sailing Association
<br>
<br> PROPOSAL
<br>
<br>2002 Trapseat 16
<br>World Championship
<br>
<br>Wednesday, July 10th to
<br>Saturday, July 13th, 2002
<br>
<br>Training Camp – Tuesday, July 9th, 2002
<br>
<br>Central Okanagan Sailing Association
<br>4220 Hobson Road,
<br>Kelowna, BC V1W 1Y3
<br>and
<br>
<br>Proposal Date: July 23, 2001
<br>1. Abstract
<br>
<br>The Central Okanagan Sailing Association (COSA) and Hobie fleet 263 operate one of one of the best sailing facilities in North America. Our site on Okanagan Lake features a 215-foot dock, 300 feet of beach, a launch ramp, a club house (with two sets of accessible washrooms), showers, a 100-person capacity banquet hall with elevator access, a protest/committee room, a 30-car parking lot, and cooperative neighbours ensuring beach access for a regatta of more than 300 boats.
<br>
<br>Most importantly, COSA is used to handling large events and great numbers of people with class and hospitality. Our 1200 student sailing school has won the Canadian Yachting Association’s trophy for the best sailing school in Canada (William Abbott Trophy 1991 and 2000), while our popular Springtime Regatta has been distinguished by the CYA as being the best regatta in Canada featuring the highest quality race management (Ted Chisholm Trophy 1998).
<br>
<br>This proposal in support of hosting the Trapseat 16 World Championships at COSA assumes that it will be a “shared boat” regatta with 40 participants or less.
<br>
<br>2. PROGRAM OF EVENTS
<br>
<br>2.1 CYA Training Camp will be held on Tuesday, July 9th, 2002 (from 10 am – 5:00 pm) by an experienced Hobie sailor and Level Four National Sailing Coach.
<br>
<br>2.2 Racing will start at 9:00 am everyday from Wednesday to Saturday.
<br>
<br>2.3 A maximum of 30 races will be scheduled. Eight to twelve races will be scheduled per day with each competitor sailing in half the races.
<br>
<br>2.4 It is expected after the second day that competitors will be separated into a Gold and a Silver fleet.
<br>
<br>2.5 Social Events/Meals
<br>Tuesday evening - Beer will be available and nachos will be provided in the evening following registration;
<br>
<br>Wednesday – a no-host evening at the Creekside Pub – 2 minutes drive – casual, outdoor seating
<br>
<br>Thursday – out on the town - – we’ll provide lots of suggestions for local restaurants and attractions
<br>
<br>Friday - a pasta dinner will be provided Friday evening (local musical talent to be confirmed)
<br>
<br>Saturday - will feature an on-site awards banquet (no t-shirts rule will apply – i.e. a more formal affair), following the fourth and final day of racing.
<br>
<br>Lunch and continental breakfast will be provided daily.
<br>
<br>Regatta “social packages” will be available for purchase by non-competitors ($75)
<br>
<br>
<br>2.6 Registration package of $300.00 per TEAM.
<br>
<br>
<br>3. BOATS
<br>
<br>
<br>3.1 It is expected that competitors will share boats. Minor damage will be repaired by the Regatta organization; major damage will be the responsibility of the competitors. All boats entered into the event must be insured, and proof of insurance must be provided.
<br>
<br>3.2 A charter fee of $150 will be assessed to all competitors who do not bring their own boat. Individuals who provide their own boat will be expected to place their boats in the charter fleet.
<br>
<br>3.3 A refundable damage deposit of $100 will be requested on registration.
<br>
<br>3.4 A maximum of 20 sets of trapseats will be available. COSA owns 3 sets, one set is available in Idaho, another in Reno, Nevada, and a 6th set is in Redding, California. The remaining 14 sets will be manufactured over the next 10 months.
<br>
<br>3.5 A ready supply of Hobie 16s is available in and around BC, complete with highly qualified crew.
<br>
<br>3.6 A supply of spare parts will be available in the event of a breakdown.
<br>
<br>4. FACILITY
<br>
<br>
<br>4.1 COSA is located at the mid-point of Okanagan Lake (80 miles X 4 miles), has an international airport, is 6 hours by car from Seattle or Calgary, 4 hours from Vancouver, 80 miles north of the US/Canada border, has an unlimited beach, medium winds, and is in a city of 140,000.
<br>
<br>4.2 Our facility is one of the very best in Canada, has adequate beach, a launch ramp, provides parking and security, washrooms with handicapped access, notice board, and is nearby to several hotels and campgrounds.
<br>
<br>4.3 The facility provides an ideal view of the races as the start and finish line will be less than 100 meters from the end of the dock.
<br>
<br>5. AMINISTRATION
<br>
<br>5.1 COSA has on-site access to computer technology, telephone and fax, and scoring software.
<br>
<br>5.2 COSA has hosted the North American Lightning Championships, North American Martin 16 Disabled Sailing Championships, Byte Woman’s National Championships, North American International Canoe Championships, as well as the 1999 and 2000 Canadian Trapseat 16 Championships. We have the experience and the personnel to adequately handle a 200-boat event.
<br>
<br>6.0 RACE MANAGEMENT
<br>
<br>6.1 Racing will be run by Ron Rubadeau, a CYA internationally qualified PRO with significant experience at National and North American championships. Mark set will be handled by Cal Bridge, Ron’s Race Management partner for the last ten years.
<br>
<br>6.2 COSA owns three Boston whalers and is prepared to handle the worst weather conditions. Our boat operators are qualified in standard rescue procedures.
<br>
<br>6.3 COSA owns a complete set of flags (including class and numbers) in regulation size requirements.
<br>
<br>6.4 COSA owns ten handheld radios.
<br>
<br>6.5 COSA has 24 volunteers trained at the CYA Level 1 race management standard, and eight at Level 2, one at Level 3, and one at Level 4.
<br>
<br>6.6 COSA has a complete set of marks, anchors, and line.
<br>
<br>6.7 International Judges will be required (Kathy to confirm??)
<br>
<br>7.0 EVENT SUPPORT
<br>
<br>7.1 A Hobie parts dealer is available.
<br>
<br>7.2 Trophies will be provided for the skipper and crew of all registered boats.
<br>
<br>7.3 An event T-shirt will be included in the registration package.
<br>
<br>7.4 Sponsorship is expected to provide additional “give aways”.
<br>
<br>8.0 PERSONNEL
<br>
<br>8.1 Regatta Chair Gillian Thomson
<br>
<br>PRO Ron Rubadeau
<br>Mark Set Cal Bridge
<br>
<br>Chief Judges Mary Sloan (we hope)
<br> Dick Rose
<br> Steve Tupper
<br>
<br>IFDS Measurment Dr. Charles Simpson
<br>
<br>CYA Coaching Clinic Ron Rubadeau/Devin Rubadeau
<br>
<br>Treasurer/Registration Randy Newton
<br>
<br>Media/Promotion/Sponsorship Devin Rubadeau
<br>
<br>Meals Coordinator Emily Batilanna, Alison Apps, Margaret Brunsden
<br>
<br>Equipment/Grounds Steve Brunsden, Tom Apps
<br>
<br>Beach Captain Randy Newton
<br>
<br>Awards Coordination Ron Rubadeau
<br>
<br>On-site Parts/Repair Okanagan Sailboat Hardware
<br>
<br>NAHCA Contact Gillian Thomson
<br>
<br>9.0 FINANCIAL
<br>
<br>9.1 COSA handles nearly $100,000.00 annually through it’s learn to sail, membership, moorage, and Disabled Sailing accounts.
<br>
<br>9.2 A separate accounting journal will be established for Trapseat 16 World Championships. Financial statements will be prepared and audited by a chartered accountant if requested.
<br>
<br>10.0 SPONSORSHIP
<br>
<br>10.1 Canadian Yachting Association will provide sponsorship for trapseat acquisition and the Trapseat training camp.
<br>
<br>10.2 Private business sponsorship will offset some of the costs for fuel, meals, equipment, and accommodation for officials.
<br>
<br>11.0 ESTIMATED BUDGET
<br>
<br>FIXED BUDGET COSTS:
<br>ADMINISTRATION
<br> Transportation tbc
<br> Clerical Sponsored-COSA
<br> Insurance COSA Provided
<br> Permits $50.00
<br> Promotion 100.00
<br>
<br>FACILITIES
<br> Registration, etc. On-site 0
<br> Jury Room On-site 0
<br> Moorage/Security N/A 0
<br> Custodial 100.00
<br>
<br>RACE EQUIPMENT
<br> Committee Boat/Mark Set 3 Boston Whalers 0
<br> Fuel, etc. 150.00
<br> Buoys/Anchors On-site 0
<br> Flag Sets, etc. On-Site 0
<br> Radios COSA - 10 sets 0
<br> Subtotal Fixed Costs 400.00 $400.00
<br>
<br>PER TEAM COSTS: 0
<br>EVENT SUPPORT
<br> NAHCA Fees 10.00 0
<br> Trophies 30.00 0
<br> Shirts 30.00 0
<br> Photography/Video 5.00 0
<br> International Judges 25.00 0
<br>SOCIAL
<br> Registration Evening 10.00 0
<br>*Social Package - $75.00
<br> Friday Pasta Dinner 15.00 0
<br> Saturday – Awards 40.00 0
<br> Coffee/Muffins/Lunches 60.00 0
<br> Contingency 10.00 0
<br> Subtotal Per Team
<br> Assume 20 teams 235.00 4700.00
<br>
<br>VOLUNTEERS
<br> Volunteer Package X15
<br> Social Pkg/T-Shirt 90.00 1350.00
<br>CONTINGENCY
<br> Equipment/Appreciation 1050.00 1050.00
<br>
<br>TOTAL EXPENSES $7500.00
<br>
<br>INCOME Entry Fees $300.00 per team $6000.00
<br> Main Sponsor – facility, COSA $500.00
<br> race management & race
<br> equipment, banquet and
<br> meeting rooms. Computer,
<br> clerical, personnel support
<br>
<br> Accommodation – Judges tbc 1000.00
<br> Website Arctic Data 0
<br>TOTAL INCOME $7500.00 $7500.00
<br>
<br>- - - - - - -
<br>END DOC.
<br>
<br><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by sail-s on 07/30/01 05:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trapseat Worlds discussion roll call [Re: sail-s] #1256
08/06/01 04:21 PM
08/06/01 04:21 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

MEMO
<br>
<br>Date: August 5, 2001
<br>From: Kathy Campbell
<br>RE: 2002 Trapseat Worlds
<br>
<br>Following, some notes on the 2002 Trapseat Worlds proposal. These are mostly questions and thoughts for discussion. Please forgive my rambling - I’m a major brainstormer.
<br>
<br>1. I have spoken with both BC Disability Sports and the Disabled Sailing Association of BC re the conflict of dates with the 2002 BC Disability Games. The BC Games are scheduled for July 10-14, 2002 in Abbotsford, with the sailing slated for Cultus Lake. None of this has been sorted out yet, but none of the parties involved see any conflict if we hold the worlds at the same time. The BC Games serves a different segment of the disabled sailing population than we would expect to see in the trapseats, and will be sailed in Martin 16s. In short, these 2 organizations are comfortable if we want to go ahead with these dates
<br>
<br>Are there any events on the Hobie schedule that might get in the way?
<br>
<br>2. We might want to emphasize more strongly in the abstract and facility pieces that COSA is fully accessible. Also, some background on Kelowna itself as a destination might be worthwhile…historical interest, orchards, really big lake, home of Ogopogo, wine country, KVR, etc….
<br>
<br>3. What do you think of expanding the training camp to 1.5-2 days? I suggest this to make it more attractive to those sailors, particularly from the other countries we’re trying to woo, who will hesitate to come because of their lack of exposure/experience with the Hobie and the trapseats…I’d really like to encourage people to come even if it’s just to try it out…get the movement going internationally. We can also add an additional coach or two…
<br>
<br>The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’m convinced that our best bet is to go with a boat rotation series. It solves the issues of time on the water for the sailors, as well as the inequities we will certainly face with the boats and equipment.
<br>Based on other worlds I have attended, I also think we can consider going with a more ambitious social/meal program. If you agree, we can work on that in the next little while. I’ll address cost issues later under budget. We should include an opening and maybe a closing ceremony, for example. Maybe we can kind of promote the attractions of Kelowna while people are there, make use of some of the wineries, etc….I’m sure there’s lots of stuff we could look at.
<br>
<br>4. As I said earlier, I like the idea of sharing boats. Re the trapseats, we need a budget fairly soon for the production project if we are going to be able to find some money to make it happen. I know Miles was looking at some grants, and I have some ideas as well, but we need the numbers to be able to get going on that. I’ve also sent a note to IFDS to see if they have any idea where the British trapseats might be.
<br>
<br>5. The facility piece looks good and could be enhanced as I said earlier by emphasizing the full accessibility of the club.
<br>
<br>6. The race management piece also looks fine. I would suggest that we consider including additional crash boats with the on-water support. We have to keep in mind that most regattas for sailors with disabilities use boats that don’t tip over, and that we may have 20+ boats on the water at a time, instead of the 5 we are accustomed to for this event. I’d rather be over prepared than have something drastic happen.
<br>I still have to find out the financial responsibilities involved for the host organization for international officials (judges, classifiers).
<br>
<br>Charlie Simpson of Victoria is Canada’s Chief National Classifier, as well as an international classifier, and he has said he would be available next July.
<br>
<br>Re the international jury, I was thinking of asking Steve Tupper, who is an IJ; I hope that Mary Sloane is still an IJ as she should definitely be there; Dick Rose has expressed an interest in judging this event, he is not an IJ, but nevertheless pretty darn useful; I know of several other people
<br>internationally, and I’ll find out from IFDS the details of who pays for what, etc. Do you have any Hobie judges who should be added to the pot?
<br>
<br>7. I think we should add two sections to the proposal, i.e., Accommodation and Transportation (particularly local transportation - airport pickups, maybe a van and/or a bus, etc.), and assign coordinators to both areas. We will find that the most questions and requests for assistance will come in these two areas. It’s actually kind of a big job.
<br>
<br>Also, the National Sport Organization (NSO), i.e., CYA component will have to be included for both the IFDS/ISAF proposal and the government proposals.
<br>
<br>We can also add Dr. Charles Simpson under Classification, and I guess a Classification section. I’ll write something on this for you.
<br>
<br>We’ll also need a Registration person, particularly for pre registration.
<br>
<br>Do we have any plans for an event website? Where will we host it? I have a place if we need it…Miles didn’t you say something about it a few weeks ago? Can we set it up so people can register on the site…?
<br>
<br>8. I don’t think there will be any problem with CYA funding the training camp, but we will not be able to go to them for trapseat acquisition/production funds (although there are funding sources we can approach through CYA).
<br>
<br>The research I have done so far has turned up possible funding sources that include:
<br>&#61623; Tourism BC World Host - Legacies Now program (attached to the Vancouver/Whistler 2010 bid)
<br>&#61623; Single Sport Hosting Program (Sport Canada)
<br>&#61623; Canadian Sailing Foundation
<br>&#61623; BC government through BC Sailing (have to talk to them about this)
<br>&#61623; City of Kelowna (Gillian, you indicated there was a possibility there)
<br>&#61623; various private sector initiatives
<br>
<br>All of these sources emphasize legacies, community, tourism, promoting BC and Canada to the world, etc. in their guidelines. Once we have the go ahead from IFDS/ISAF we can start going after these funds.
<br>
<br>Miles, what did you have in mind re grants, etc. for trapseat production? Again, we really need those production numbers to get that going.
<br>
<br>9. Knowing that we can put the whole thing together for under $10,000, I’d like to think bigger to start with and see what kind of support we can get.
<br>
<br>Things to add to the budget:
<br>&#61623; international flags of participating countries and ways to fly them
<br>&#61623; travel for officials (judges/classifiers) - we don’t know who pays for this yet, but let’s include an estimate; I see you have accommodation in there already
<br>&#61623; local transportation (airport pickups, may include a bus from accommodation centres, etc.)
<br>&#61623; opening and closing ceremonies
<br>&#61623; trapseats (production/transport/maintenance, etc.)
<br>&#61623; boats (transport/maintenance, etc.)
<br>&#61623; do we need extra insurance for anything?
<br>&#61623; coaching
<br>&#61623; additional crash boats
<br>&#61623; an increase in the promotion budget - if we can have some good, colourful information in place for Mobility Cup, the Worlds in St. Petersburg in October, etc., we can do a good sell job…it looks as if I can get some exceptional graphics design work done at no cost to us once we know what we want, i.e., a logo, overall look for the event, etc…
<br>
<br>10. FYI, the countries we’ve had positive response from so far, between Mike and myself, are:
<br>CAN, USA, GER, NED, DEN, IRL, AUS, GBR, MEX, KOR
<br>That includes a very good response from Canada and the US. If we do a good job of promotion I think we can get several more countries.
<br>
<br>I’m going to stop for now and let you guys have a look at this. I would like to have a chat with Steve Tupper on Tuesday when he’s back at work and then get something off to IFDS by Tuesday night or Wednesday.
<br>
<br>WHAT DO YOU THINK? I’m around all day tomorrow (Monday).
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Kathy
<br>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
<br>
<br>First off thanks Kathy for all your hard work so early on and your example is getting my juices going. Here are some of my comments related to your questions.
<br>
<br>A. CONCERNS: First off I am a little concerned about the lack of accessible motels in Kelowna. Rick and I had a very hard time finding motel rooms that where accessible. I realize you all do not have the ADA legislation in Canada and it was evident when looking for accessible accommodations. So this is a big concern of mine and hopefully we can get someone in Kelowna to go around as soon as possible and find every accessible motel room in town so sailors do not have to waste a lot of time finding a place to stay. We should also look at host families for other teams on a budget.
<br>
<br>B. ALCOHOL: Also I have no problem with promoting wineries just realize not everyone that will be coming to the event is an alcohol lover. I went to a cat sailing event last year and had to leave because there were drunken sailors tripping over my kids. They had a Beer company for a sponsor and they made sure to use up the fee beer. My wife nor my kids want to go back to that event. All I am saying is please be careful as there is nothing wrong with people drinking if they want but there can be a problem when it gets out of hand.
<br>
<br>C. SCHEDULING: As for scheduling conflicts I think there is going to be some no matter what so lets just not try to conflict with other important Hobie 16 or disabled sailing events. No dates have been set for next years North American H16 continentals nor do I think the H16 continentals in Australia, South American, Europe, South Africa have been set. April 1 –13th is the H16 Worlds in New Caledonia. I think we are ahead of the game if the Trapseat Worlds are set before the other events.
<br>
<br>D. ROTATION: As for boat rotating I do not have a problem with this other than for the worlds, we need to have every boat in top shape. At the Kelowna event I had to sit next to Rick (on the wrong side of the boat) and help him steer the boat because there was to much weather helm. We actually lost our first place position in one race because Rick had to let go of the tiller due to the fact he was to fatigued to hanging onto the tiller.
<br>
<br>E. TRAPSEATS: As for Trapseats I have talked with Mike of RoRo designs in UK to help us locate the 10 sets of Trapseats. I think if we find some UK sailors to help us locate the seats we may have better luck finding them. I have not heard back for Mike Wood yet.
<br>
<br>F. WEB SITE: Yes we have an Official Trapseat web site and we should treat it as such, so we most certainly should post the World Info. on the Official Trapseat web site. The IHCA and NAHCA have direct links to the site as well as other sailing organizations so it would be easy locate the info if its on our site. And we can also set this site up to allow people to register for the event, as suggested.
<br>
<br>G. FUNDING: I am now in the process of look for some grant sources and will let you know more as it progresses. So far I am just in the beginning stages.
<br>
<br>H. BOATS: I have talked with Hobie USA about helping out with boats or gear or both and will let you all know how that turns out. Also the Hobie Family lives in McCall Idaho and their clothing company is there as well. I am talking with them about developing a T-shirt design for the Trapseat Worlds.
<br>
<br>I. LOGO: Also if you go on the Trapseat web site and look in the News Letter section you will read about a Logo contests – I need to change the date that the final logo drafts are due. We need to get involved to develop this logo so if you have a logo ideas or know anyone that has logo developing skills please have them submit the logos to me and I will post them on the web site to be voted on. Currently I have 2 logo designs submitted.
<br>
<br>J. USE IT OR LOSE IT: We need to use our web site and not put information else where because we need to get people use to using the site. I do apologize for not getting the resent Canadian Trapseat Nationals on our web site as I am in the process of updating the site and changing the web site address to www.trapseat.com. Also I am still in the process of buying a house so things are a little hectic at this time but don’t worry all will be up and running real so. My wife is a English major so she will be checking the Grammar.
<br>
<br>K. NEW LANGUAGES: I wanted to add that our web site in now only in English but I would like to see it in French and Spanish. So hopefully as we get new Trapseat members from other counties we can start adding new languages to the site.
<br>
<br>L. FORUM - ONCE AGAIN PLEASE USE THE OFFICIAL TRAPSEAT FORUM AT www.catsailor.com to be better connected as a class and have discussions like we are now. The link to the Trapseat forum on our web site is broken and is one of the things I am changing on the site so please go directly to the Catsailor web site for now to access it. When I am finished with the Trapseat site the Trapseat forum will be linked in, etc.
<br>
<br>This message along with Kathy’s message is posted on the Catsailor forum so please direct people there if they want to add to the discussion.
<br>
<br>Thanks.
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
1385- (49 downloads)
Re: Trapseat Worlds discussion roll call [Re: sail-s] #1257
08/13/01 12:17 PM
08/13/01 12:17 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Any artist out there good at making logo's? We need some please to submit logo designs for the Trapseat class. For more info. on this topic go to our web site at www.sail-s.com, then click on Official Trapseat Class and then click on New Letter and read about the logo contest there. Thanks.<br><br>

Attached Files
1581- (53 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022