12/29/07 11:43 AM
12/29/07 11:43 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

That is not an M20 but a Volvo Extreme 20. First is a uni-rig the latter is a sloop rig. And there are a few other important differences. For example the VE-20 uses the same (shorter) carbon mast as the Tornado's.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Hakan Frojdh] #127066
12/29/07 11:47 AM
12/29/07 11:47 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Could it be that the sloop can handle blocks and lines that dangles along the mast better than the uni rigg?

Doesn't the snail system have a spi halyard hanging around the mast ?

If it does then why couldn't a similar setup be had with a normal snuffer ?

Afterall the spi halyard attached to the top when using a snuffer is actually in front of the forestay where as with the snail it will be near the mast as well.

I do find that the Sloop rig appears to be more forgiving with respect to Aerodynamic issues then a uni. But I think that is mostly because the uni rig is so sensitive to proper trim. A sloop keeps drawing even when slightly out of trim. In fact I feel that the sloop punishes off a mistake less severely and gives you enough time to steer back to the groove. Landyachting is actually even worse in this respect and as such a very good training for staying on the groove.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 12/29/07 11:50 AM.

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Wouter] #127067
12/29/07 12:40 PM
12/29/07 12:40 PM
North Europe, Sweden, Uppsala
Hakan Frojdh Offline
enthusiast
Hakan Frojdh  Offline
enthusiast

The snail and the snuffer represents two different approaches, easy handling/bullet-proof or clean/hightech.

You can mix the snuffers and different halyard approaches they way you like, but if you pay for the snail you are probably aiming for a clean low drag approach.

Here I compare the F18 Capricorn setup (2007) and the M20 setup.

If you do a lot of short upwind-downwind racing every second counts on the roundings. A bulletproof and simple system is the way to go, use the snuffer with everything external. If you lose a bit of upwind speed due to windage (lines, blocks and a bag hanging under the spi pole) is ok as long as you can keep up with the rest of the fleet on the first upwind.

The clean approach means that you put things internal instead. The spi halyard is led down using a tube from the front of the mast and back to the sail track and then down along the the sail track. The block and lines needed for single line hoisting is hidden in the spi pole. The bridle and line used to bend the pole in a safe driection is replace by teardrop shaped rods supporting the spi pole.

And finally the bag is removed and replaced by the snail close to the mast.

My personal selection would be the following:

M20, short upwind/downwind course, use a snuffer
M20, longer courses go for the clean concept
A-class, due to the lack of arms on normal sailors the spi manouvers are quite slow and the advantage of a snuffer would be marginal but my personal opinion is that the A-class is sensitive to windage (The A-class has the same size as an F18 but only 30% or something as righting torque)

/hakan

Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Hakan Frojdh] #127068
12/29/07 01:36 PM
12/29/07 01:36 PM
Tampa Bay, Fl
S
SailingTV Offline
stranger
SailingTV  Offline
stranger
S

Tampa Bay, Fl
I have a short interview with Goran about the new mk5 on my site
http://www.sailing-tv.tv/

Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: SailingTV] #127069
12/29/07 02:46 PM
12/29/07 02:46 PM
Hakan Frojdh Offline
enthusiast
Hakan Frojdh  Offline
enthusiast

Nice coverage of the regatta with lots of interviews with sailing rockstars!

/hakan

Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Hakan Frojdh] #127070
12/29/07 11:41 PM
12/29/07 11:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
When we first set a kite up on our T, we ran a snuffer under the tramp (see pink sock running diagnal under trap and ring in the front port corner of the tramp) with an aim to reduce windage and weight out the front of the boat. This system was first used by Forbes / Bundock. All who used this system found that the savings in weight and windage was not noticeable however what was noticeable was how much hotter boats with pole snuffers could run whilst setting and dropping. Sets and drops were also a bit slower on the tramp snuffers as the tack had to travel out more than 4 meters to the end of the pole where as with the pole snuffer it travels 1 to 1.5 meters depending on set up. This is why you find all the profesional round the can racers using pole snuffers.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files

Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Wouter] #127071
01/01/08 08:04 PM
01/01/08 08:04 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
This is my exact snuffer...I purcahsed direct from Landenberger...he told me it was his design. Has that changed and now sold by Topcat??

The system is very good. Low cost, low friction. The dacron bag is much better than the more common mylar...a wet sail doesn't adhere as much to dacron as it does to mylar. Also, the taper in the bag shape helps lots.

Mike.

http://www.landenberger-sailing.com/spip.php?article48

Landenberger sells it and has info on it but I'm told the snuffer is made by Topcat company.

But VectorWorks Marine is now using this snuffer system for their Blade F16's as well. I personally have the AHPC ring and bag, as the first VWM Blades have as well. Both are good snuffers but I think the Topcat snuffer is better. For example it is very easy to take the bag off the ring and pole, which has its advantages. The AHPC snuffer bag is alot more difficult to put on or take aff and as a result I don't remove it at all. The AHPC bag is very nice though as it is made of a very firm material and won't flap in the wind.

Price is about the same for both.

Wouter

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: What about Marstrom's new A-cat? [Re: Tornado] #127072
01/02/08 02:45 AM
01/02/08 02:45 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I can't tell you. I'm using the AHPC version. However I was told by VWM (who are using it) that it was the Topcat snuffer. The fact that they work very well I got from several F16 sailors who are using it.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022