06/09/08 02:16 PM
06/09/08 02:16 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Just a point of clarification, and not to completely derail the thread - none of the HCANA's membership dues go towards the North American Championships. They are self-sufficient events.

The HCA's finances are available to anyone on the HCA website.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: mbounds] #145144
06/09/08 03:25 PM
06/09/08 03:25 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Thanks Matt

I did not check your budget when I used your class as an example ... What you say does makes sense... the services that the class delivers would not leave much cash left over.

Kudo's. I think it makes sense to run the class this way and deliver services to all of the members.

Do you think the majority of your members know this?
I know you guys have been on a membership program for a couple of years to get those out racing to join the class.
I bet you would get more compliance with membership if this fact was well known. (my two cents worth)

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: Mark Schneider] #145145
06/09/08 04:17 PM
06/09/08 04:17 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Mark, we don't advertise that policy, but we don't hide it either. My experience is that it can come as a surprise to potential event hosts that they are expected to budget the event without input from the class.

What comes as more of a surprise is that there is profit-sharing. The intent of that is so that hosts are not setting up profit-making ventures, rather that they spend the entry fees back into the event to maintain a high level of quality.

Back on topic... Having said that, no one has ever used your discussion point as a reason to not join the class. In the past, some folks have said they don't see the need to join if they don't go to national-level events.

Most of that dicsussion has gone away because we've taken huge efforts to ensure that we deliver what the members want, and make sure they know about it. Sounds like USSA could learn from this?

We do require compulsory membership at class regattas, but that isn't the primary reason people join (it does help remind people, though)...

Mike

Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: MUST429] #145146
06/09/08 08:21 PM
06/09/08 08:21 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
MUST429 Offline
enthusiast
MUST429  Offline
enthusiast

Lakewood, Colorado
I give Mr Capron huge accolades for actually taking the time to reply to my E-Mails. If would be very easy for him to have ignored me as a waste of his time. It is VERY nice to know that our concerns are being heard. That alone has given me reason to be more open to accepting olive branches that may be offered in the future. Altho, it would need to be something that shows a significant shift in position, not just a token gesture.

In a message dated 6/9/2008 4:07:47 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, JCapron@capron.com writes:

Stephen,

You are right. The quote, taken from a marketing report at the spring meeting, does not mention multihull or lots of the mainstream sailing, including what I race. The multihull, as well as many one-design disciplines like dinghy and keelboat, are not specifically mentioned beyond the "many more" at the end of the quote. The point of the reference was to show the diversity, not to make an exhaustive list of every sailing discipline.

Jim
and my reply to Mr Capron.

Jim,

Given the hue and cry that resulted from USSA's initial position with regard eliminating the multihull discipline from the slate of Olympic events in 2012, and then, the position USSA took when the issue came up a second time, USSA's actions speak far louder than any words of reconciliation that you may have to offer.

I am sure you have much better things to do than bicker with a single, small minded catamaran sailor such as myself. However, while I can not and do not speak for anyone but myself, there are many others in the Multihull community that feel as I do.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my E-Mails. That shows a measure of class that I had not anticipated. Unfortunately, from my admittedly narrow perspective, the wounds are far too deep to be cured by mere words. It will take actions that show that multihulll sailors as a group will be shown some modicum of respect.

Just a thought, it appears that the next America's Cup event may be sailed on Catamaran's. Also, it will be sailed at a venue and a time that will garner more viewers than many America's Cup events of the past,. Further if it is indeed sailed on Catamaran's it may well be one of the most exciting televised America's Cup races in history. What a shame for all of us that your organization, has treated the multihull community here in the United States so poorly, and as a result, multihull sailors from around the world will be denied the opportunity to compete at the Olympic level.

It is way past time for the old guard of your organization to recognize that the only thing constant in life is change, and if you as an organization continue to try and do things the way they have always been done instead of embracing change, USSA is doomed to go the way of the Dodo bird and the buggy whip.

Respectfully,
Stephen

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: MUST429] #145147
06/10/08 02:37 PM
06/10/08 02:37 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay

...it appears that the next America's Cup event may be sailed on Catamaran's ...if it is indeed sailed on Catamaran's it may well be one of the most exciting televised America's Cup races in history...

Trimarans would make more sense, but who knows?
"The only constant thing in life is change". I like that.

Luiz
Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: ThunderMuffin] #145148
06/10/08 09:40 PM
06/10/08 09:40 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
I am a member of USSA, Bristol A-Cat Fleet and USACA and would be a member of ITA if they would ever respond as to where to send the dues to. I have no problem paying and belonging to all of these organizations. My problem with USSA is their lack of support for multihull sailors and the Olympics decisions.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775
Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: Mark Schneider] #145149
06/11/08 07:11 AM
06/11/08 07:11 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
At the Annapolis OD symposium, a 505 sailor said... well... 505 sailors only seem to pay their dues when they come to the nationals. no nationals... no dues collected.

One design class sailors also pay dues when their class has a significant vote on the table and they want their vote counted. I've heard guys (that dont even own a Tornado) say they only pay their Tornado class dues because they wanted to vote on certain issues, they didnt have a shot at a larger stage.

International Canoe class just had a vote on a rather radical shift away from their design rules, I would bet, that they saw a big increase in paid dues from people that were interested in having their vote counted.

If US Sailing had said "Hey we are going to have a vote on mandatory membership and only paid members can vote," I bet you would have seen a dramatic increase in the membership, with much less of the outcry about the issue. They would have increased their membership and let the association decide the issue for themselves. US Sailing would have gotten what they wanted (more members, more cash) and the membership could have felt included and "serviced" by the association. Everyone would have won. Caron screwed the pooch on this one.

By the way, my position on the national class is that I pay my dues so I can vote and race and have my sail number assigned on my new boat(another good reason to pay.)

Bill

The YCs don't like it... [Re: Mike Fahle] #145150
06/12/08 07:58 AM
06/12/08 07:58 AM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast

Re: Explanations about mandatory U.S. S.A. members [Re: Mark Schneider] #145151
06/17/08 11:52 AM
06/17/08 11:52 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Mark, well put.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Marlieke de Lange Eaton
401-683-0800

US SAILING Board of Directors
Withdraws Mandatory Membership Proposal

Portsmouth, R.I. (June 17, 2008) - US SAILING, national governing body for the sport of sailing, has announced today that its Board of Directors last night voted to withdraw a proposal that would require US SAILING membership of racing sailors.

"We have heard from our members and we thank everyone for their input," said US SAILING President Jim Capron. "Many sailors and sailing organizations have told us that racing sailors should be members, but that their membership should be voluntary. We also appreciate that many of these sailing organizations have indicated their willingness to help grow our membership. We look forward to working with all of you to strengthen both our organization and our sport."

(End)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now... the job is to build support for VOLUNTARILY joining the USSA begins...

Kudo's to the NAHCA who had the balls to get out in front of this issue and publically make their position known.

The NAHCA continues to support your membership in USSA.

Most other OD organizations appear to have wimped out and avoided their responsibility to publically represent their class members on this issue.

--------------------
www.sailcrac.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 664 guests, and 184 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022