Hop To
Garmin etrex Venture GPS #14652
12/27/02 02:23 PM
12/27/02 02:23 PM
Western Canada
nu2cats Offline OP
nu2cats  Offline OP

Western Canada
Santa finally got it right. I now own a Garmin etrex Venture Handheld GPS. I have read another thread about GPS units and it seems that most of you have the "Legend" brand. I have a few questions for you.

1. Is the "Venture" new to the product line?
2. Where is a good place to mount the GPS unit? (Trampoline aft of the mast?)
3. Is there a way I can keep it from sinking in the event of a capsize?
4. How much abuse can a handheld GPS withstand?
5. Is it worth the cost of purchasing a CD-Rom to download maps?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Robert

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Garmin etrex Venture GPS [Re: nu2cats] #14653
12/28/02 02:56 AM
12/28/02 02:56 AM
E
elgreengo Offline
stranger
elgreengo  Offline
stranger
E

I would like to second this question. I just got a Magellan Meridian. Looking it over I dont think it is really waterproof enough, my thought is to strap a waterproof bag (perhaps one made for a gps) to my wetsuit just above my knee. The thought being it would be hands free and close enough that I could read all the neccessary information(how fast I am going). Has anyone else rigged something like this? better ideas?

Re: Garmin etrex Venture GPS [Re: elgreengo] #14654
12/28/02 07:24 AM
12/28/02 07:24 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Robert / elgreengo,

No - the venture is not a new product - it is very similar to the Legend but just has less memory and not quite the same mapping capability. see the following link for details: Garmin Etrex Comparison

I put my first Etrex through hell on water - hopefully you can learn from my mistakes! . I've mounted it with the lanyard to the boom, tramp lacing, in my life vest pocket, and even used the handlebar mount to place it on the tiller (that worked out well except for the water punching through the surf). The Etrex will withstand typical water exposure sailing on a catamaran - but not for long. I highly recommend a dry bag to store the GPS in. I've been trying to find a link to the dry bag I use to no avail but I bought it from an end cap at a BoatUS store. It works very well. It's bright yellow with a flexible clear face, has a plastic clamp with knobs for the opening at the top, and a yellow lanyard. I tie the lanyard to my life vest shoulder and let it swing within arms reach. The dry bag will keep it from sinking.

Don't get me wrong, these are tough little units and it took several dousing and even a troll behind my Hobie 18 to kill it (I highly don't recommend tying it to the tramp lacing ) - and then Garmin replaced it for free. Kinda makes you feel guilty but really thought that it was 'waterproof' and could handle it.

The CDs are great - I've got Road's and Recreation but it doesn't have a route planning feature like some of the other CDs (which would be nice). Before you buy a CD though, check with Garmin because I'm pretty sure that the only detail you can get with the Venture is point of interest - I don't think that you can actually load street and waterway maps or not.

Jake Kohl
Re: Garmin etrex Venture GPS [Re: Jake] #14655
12/30/02 12:11 AM
12/30/02 12:11 AM
Western Canada
nu2cats Offline OP
nu2cats  Offline OP

Western Canada
Thanks for the info Jake.

Robert

Re: Garmin etrex GPS Software [Re: nu2cats] #14656
12/30/02 01:26 PM
12/30/02 01:26 PM
Maryland, USA
PRagen Offline
journeyman
PRagen  Offline
journeyman

Maryland, USA
Part of the post I am replying to asked:
"Is it worth the cost of purchasing a CD-Rom to download maps?"

That I can't answer directly but have some comments and questions.

I just received a Garmin Etrex Mariner which is a Venture plus a marine mark database built in. These are both non mapping units.

So I have been doing some on-line investigation. The Garmin "BlueChart" map/software is not cheap at $152 MSRP which includes 1 "unlock" of one of the regions on it.

My related question:

Is there any cheaper shareware or freeware available for basic way point entry and track viewing using charts or maps?

I downloaded and have been trying out "GPS Utility" (http://www.gpsu.co.uk/). It seems like a nice little program to capture and map waypoints and tracks from the GPS and to enter waypoints and tracks back to the GPS. However, it does not come with maps. You can overlay any map you can download or scan over the GPS map. You can then visually see where you went or do data entry for loading back on the GPS via point and click. Note by entering a track via point and clicks over a map, I can upload a simple map (ie body of water outline) to the GPS.

Is there any other better, but still relatively cheap, software like this out there? There seem to be others but I have not had time to explore them all and am looking for suggestions.

Patrick Ragen
Taipan 4.9 USA 274
Re: Garmin etrex GPS Software [Re: PRagen] #14657
12/30/02 05:17 PM
12/30/02 05:17 PM
Dayton, Ohio
BMoran Offline
stranger
BMoran  Offline
stranger

Dayton, Ohio
You might try looking at www.Geocaching.com. Look under the discussion area. There is something called EasyGPS but I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

Bill Moran
T 4.9 #224

Re: Garmin etrex GPS Software [Re: PRagen] #14658
12/30/02 05:26 PM
12/30/02 05:26 PM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
you should check out the newsgroups alt.satellite.gps and sci.geo.satellite.nav. there are several programs that will work. also. i think i picked up the bluechart software for $135, but if all you want navaids only and not depth soundings, etc. with the ability to enter waypoints... you can use metroguide. i got mine on ebay for $65.

Re: Garmin etrex [Re: dave taylor] #14659
02/06/03 07:05 PM
02/06/03 07:05 PM
Central Coast of California
SLO_Boozer Offline
stranger
SLO_Boozer  Offline
stranger

Central Coast of California
I have an etrex and judging from the posts of some it seems like a good idea to keep it in a dry bag. The current dry bag I have limits my ability to use the buttons and that little “joystick” thing. My question is what type of bag, if any, do other etrex owners use? Thanks in advance.

The SLO_Boozer H 16 - "First Wish"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Talus1), 680 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022