10/01/08 03:33 PM
10/01/08 03:33 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
thanks for the update dave , I'll be there and possiblt 2 more from div 3 frank ternello and phil

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Hobie 40th Anneverssary Oct 4-5 Who's going? [Re: F-18 5150] #157288
10/16/08 02:10 PM
10/16/08 02:10 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
AS many of you missed it I thought you might want to know about the 40th regatta in Dana Point.
Daisy and I drove the 15 hours to be in so-cal and arrived Friday late morning. Rigged the tiger set it on the beach and set up camp with Johnny O and Lorie. After a trip for food and a visit to the Hobie surf shop it was back to the beach and saying hello to old friends and new ones.
Then we boarded the bus to go to the yacht club. The bus was decorated with hobie pictures and playing the hobie movies on a dvd. once at the club we got some free food and some drinks. talked with alot of the legends and hung out on the balcony. The yacht club was packed, and the registration line was huge. After hearing stories from some of the orrigional sailing legends. Hobie , banks ,pu , many others it was back to the camp site.
Saturday morning we woke up and went to the beach. put sails up and waited for skippers meeting. There was the typical skippers meeting but the number of people was astounding to me. Then came the announcement that the 100th boat had just registered. After some direction from the life guards it was time to push off through the surf. All boats out on the water safe with only a few minor problems. two races in light to moderate air and back to the beach. All boats in safe even the trap seat 16's.
After the racers cleaned up it was time for the party. Right there in the pavilion at Doheny beach. A band played as we lined up for some food. Chicken, sausage, beef, sloppy joes, salad , beans , soda and beer, all were provided. As we were eating the legends sat and told stories of how the first 12 1/2 ft boat was made and designed from a surf board blank. How it grew to 14 ft and started production. As this was going on Wyland was painting some sea life canvases there in person. As the band played again Wyland painted a h-16 hull for auction . (congrats Johnny O on the winning bid) then all the legends signed the hull to make it even more special. After that the raffle was held and the silent auction was held. Alot of money was raised for charity this event too. Wyland sculptures,hobie memoribilia, paintings and gear all were auctioned and a kayak, paddle board and skate board were the big tickets.
Sunday morning a pancake breakfast was provided and we all waited to see what conditions would be for the day. Sails went up and it was off for another two races. After the racing completed it was to the beach scramble, and get the boats down.
Trophys soon followed and people began to say their goodbuy's and went to the after dinner at the sushi restaurant.This was one of the best experiences at a regatta in a long time. Thank You to all involved. Hope to see you there for the 50th.
Rich

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 237 guests, and 106 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022