10/17/08 11:26 AM
10/17/08 11:26 AM
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline OP
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline OP
enthusiast

Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
I live in Ottawa Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions for winterizing a Tiger that has a tramp that is slid into slots in the hulls. I am considering putting a tarp over it but I am not sure this is any better than no tarp. Another thought is putting two by fours on edge over the tramp and then the tarp. I have visions of this being a case of the cure worse than the disease also.
I have visions of the tarp slapping around and leaving scuff marks and then filling up with snow and not letting it melt and drip away on warm days. Also I envision the two by fours bouncing around in the wind and leaving scuff marks.
One winter I left it as is but where I lived the snow simply blew off and it was dry so it was light.

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Winterizing Tiger [Re: Frozen] #157533
10/18/08 09:45 AM
10/18/08 09:45 AM
C
Cataholic Offline
stranger
Cataholic  Offline
stranger
C

This worked okay for my Tiger (alothough 2006 model, with the trampoline stretched along the hulls rather than in tracks) as winter storage outside in northern Illinois: I left the boat on the trailer with the mast (track-side up) on the caddy in front & tied with padding alongside the traveller cleat at the rear. I stretched a tarp across the boat & mast, centered on the mast as the ridge pole. I tied the tarp under the hulls & trailer from side to side using rope, with shock cord to keep the ropes taut. In the front, where the tarp extended in front of the bows, I sort of wrapped the corners back & down & tied them to the trailer tongue; similar to the rear of the transoms.

That worked okay, although some snow piled up on the sides, but mostly on the hulls. The tarp sagged a bit under the weight, but it appeared to be pulled back up by the shock cords when the snow melted, so that there was only a little standing water on the tarp.

Before putting on the tarp, I took off the sidestay anchor eye bolts(it might be a good idea to plug the holes to keep water from getting in & freezing, just in case), put carpet padding on the protrusions of the mast, & tied the mast so that the ends of the spreader arms would stay level.

The tarp lasted the winter, although if I remember right, it wore through on one of the hull rear corners. Padding there would help, but beware the potential for staining from dye.

Tarp specifics: Here's what I bought:

From Tarpaflex:
"WHITE HEAVY DUTY POLY TARP Ref: 20
White heavy duty poly Tarps are manufactured from tough low density polyethylene, laminated on both sides with high density polyethylene which makes heavy duty Tarpaulins strong, tear resistant and 100% water proof."

Link: http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/White_Heavy_Duty_Poly_Tarps.html

Cut (nominal) size: 16 ft x 32 ft would have been nice, but is not offered.

I used 16 ft x 30 ft cut size = 15 ft 4 inches x 29 ft 6 inches, which meant that the tarp did not cover the base of the mast, over which I put a couple of plastic garbage bags.

Cost: ~$US 72 in November 2007, including shipping

I am going to take another look at the tarp we used last year to decide whether to buy a new one this year, or tape up the worn parts of the old one with duct tape.

If you find a slightly longer tarp, would you let me know?

Re: Winterizing Tiger [Re: Cataholic] #157676
10/20/08 10:57 AM
10/20/08 10:57 AM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
I would suggest taking the trampoline off. At the beginning of next season you will have to tighten it to adjust it anyway and putting it on does not take as much time as getting it tight so you will not be saving much by leaving it on.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 625 guests, and 166 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022