Announcements
New Discussions
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Wouter] #168599
02/18/09 08:02 AM
02/18/09 08:02 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Wouter

Hey guys,

Why not simply keep the two fleets seperate for their class prizes and have a single combined ELAPSED time scoring fleet with its own prize for the spectators and fun.

In these distance racing stuff the F18 design are really not that far of the pace of the I-20's. I feel so less so that racing eachother simply on elapsed time is pretty fair, especially with the large variations in wind strength and other conditions. Basically, the end result is many times less influences by the design difference then by tactical decisions and simply luck with the LOCAL conditions.

Personally, I wouldn't be suprised if an F18 would actually win the elapsed time scoring. There is definately a set of conditions that will see the F18 favoured over the I-20's just as much certain conditions favour the I-20's over the F18's. Over 500 miles and several days, the conditions could turn out to favour both designs in a balanced manner.

Wouter

The apocalypse must be near, I actually agree with a Woot post. eek

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #168605
02/18/09 09:45 AM
02/18/09 09:45 AM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
Wouter, right on!

Trey
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #168610
02/18/09 10:02 AM
02/18/09 10:02 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
There aren't any graphics visible in that (SI article), I've got it hanging on my wall(the other half of the article was about my team). There were other forces at work that got that coverage ,namely that M.W. guy and Nigel's marketing. The Graphics are definitely cool and spice things up, but pricey. Anyone want to donate services for the cause?
Todd

Well, I certainly meant no disrespect. My point was, everyone could instantly identify Nigel's boat, they had one of the cleanest graphics setups ever.

When you have tons of sponsors, the impact of any one of them gets diminished in direct (or maybe exponential) proportion to the total number of stickers on the boat (I had one, so I know).

Obviously, this takes a Big Daddy sponsor, and if you lose them, they are harder to replace and can jeopardize the whole team next year...

BTW, wasn't the TB name mentioned like 1000 times in that SI article? I agree, it was sad that they couldn't get a better shot of the sponsor logos in there.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 02/18/09 10:02 AM. Reason: I can't spell...
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: brucat] #168612
02/18/09 10:24 AM
02/18/09 10:24 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
The logo showed up enough to make our friends at Tommy Bahama very happy - while we weren't allowed to put anything on the hulls, there were logos on the boards and rudders and lifejackets.

[Linked Image]

Most of that press coverage was attributable to Nigel and Alex having a good relationship with Walter Cooper, who is a very talented and respected photographer.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: brucat] #168614
02/18/09 11:02 AM
02/18/09 11:02 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat
I agree, it was sad that they couldn't get a better shot of the sponsor logos in there.

Mike

I'm not sure that wasn't intentional, to not hurt their paid advertisers.
You are right that was a clean looking super tight promo on Nigel and Alex's part. But ,again, to get that kind of visual takes a sponsor that's willing to put that kind of money behind it.
And an awesome team squirrel,I mean manager.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #168618
02/18/09 11:26 AM
02/18/09 11:26 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
I like Team Velocity Sailing's graphics.

Why is this a question? Were the organizers planning on scoring them all together?

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: ThunderMuffin] #168621
02/18/09 11:48 AM
02/18/09 11:48 AM
T
Tek Kat Offline
stranger
Tek Kat  Offline
stranger
T

Having Run the FAST CAT RACE Round the Isle Of Wight (UK) with up to 120 Boats on the SCHR system this has worked well over the years and has become a Standard in the UK and European races. It promotes large fleets with all the interest in sailing against different Cats. The Event will only get bigger with more sponsors looking to get involved.

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: Tek Kat] #168623
02/18/09 12:04 PM
02/18/09 12:04 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hey there!
Don't use successful examples of handicap catamaran races to illustrate a valid point of view.... It upsets the locals! YOU NEED TO DRINK MORE COOL AID.... try to chant One design .. One design... it's the only way! One design... one design... it's the only way!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: Mark Schneider] #168630
02/18/09 12:26 PM
02/18/09 12:26 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Hey there!
Don't use successful examples of handicap catamaran races to illustrate a valid point of view.... It upsets the locals! YOU NEED TO DRINK MORE COOL AID.... try to chant One design .. One design... it's the only way! One design... one design... it's the only way!

If there were 10 N20's entered and 2 F-18's then I'd be singing a different tune.

But with both fleets capable of being scored individually, why rely on a number to determine who the best sailor was?

Also, I'm not familiar with the race that Tek Kat is speaking of, but wouldn't "rounding" an island involve racing on potentially more than one point of sail?

Also, another thing... in 2005 the Tybee 500 included open class racing. A M20 and a N6.0 showed up. Thats it. The rest of the boats were N20's.

I fail to see how openning it up completely to handicap racing is going to promote more participation when it hasn't done so in the past.

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: ThunderMuffin] #168635
02/18/09 12:40 PM
02/18/09 12:40 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
My memory is good, but it's short. grin Remember the year the Javelin 2's raced with the I20's? How did they score the Jav's?

They were F18HT's, did they use any corrections at all or just straight time? As I recall, (and I'm sure I don't) the top finishing Jav was about 5th overall, but ahead of many I20's.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight but I would think if you have a good turnout of both, score them separately, start them 30 minutes apart, and then you can award top 3 in each fleet, as well as an overall lowest elapsed time boat (first to finsh), and an "Overall Lowest Corrected Time Boat", accounting for the 30 minutes difference in the starts of course.

And if you really have time to kill, then also score it as 1st, 2nd etc. by each day, then tally that all up at the end and hand out even more trophys. Cover all the bases.

But if you put Misha Heemskirk (sorry about the spelling) on an F18, you will have to start him an hour behind everyone every day...and then the I 20 boys will really be pissed. sick

Blade F16
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Hullflyer1] #168636
02/18/09 12:42 PM
02/18/09 12:42 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Hullflyer1
Old timers remember when it was Hobie 16's only, no stopovers and the first guy home was the winner. Real bragging rights!

And they had to sail uphill... in the snow....

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: ] #168654
02/18/09 02:34 PM
02/18/09 02:34 PM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
Y'all all seem to forget that for quite a few years the Worrell 1000 was 'run what you brung,' no scoring corrections and turnout did just fine.

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: ThunderMuffin] #168665
02/18/09 03:32 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Undecided
Also, I'm not familiar with the race that Tek Kat is speaking of, but wouldn't "rounding" an island involve racing on potentially more than one point of sail?

Isle of Wight is pretty much a square so it looks like you'd get a bit of everything.

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701513402/wight_isle_of.html

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: tami] #168666

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

Actually, the turnout for the Worrell was better when it went one design

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fleets [Re: ThunderMuffin] #168670
02/18/09 04:08 PM
02/18/09 04:08 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

But with both fleets capable of being scored individually, why rely on a number to determine who the best sailor was?

With two one design fleets... Which one is the best sailor? That is the potential problem.

Do you agree that the PR folks want one person who won the race that day. "aka the best sailor"?

Two OD fleets need some resolution of that question if you ask the question. "should the T500 be scored on corrected or one design. (or elapsed)

The whole discussion is irrelevant IF the F18 fleet thinks that they are equal to the N20 in speed IN THIS UNIQUE RACE, . Wouter's suggestion would make the most sense. Race elapsed 1 to 20 and then award OD trophies.

If you think the F18 is slower and you have no chance at line honors and the overall win... You might want a PN race or a volvo/regatta type scoring to level the field.

Remember, In the 18HT fiasco worrel. the PN differences based on around the cans for the 18HT and the N20 was very small. So the 18 footers thought they had a shot at line honors in the new Tybee 500. When the results proved otherwise... people played with the ratings off line to level the field.

If the race is for two one design fleets and you don't need a single winner of the day for the PR value. ... duplicate the big trophy and don't tabulate the elapsed time results or recognize the elapsed time winner with a trophy. Leave it to the public to opine about which team, which boat, which class did the best.

For years the Down the Bay, run north to south with prevailing southerly's... the elapsed time winner would go to a classic Tornado, the scratch boat in the fleet. Was this accomplishment worth a trophy? If he wasn't the first boat to the beach... he had no chance of winning the official race on DPN.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: ] #168671
02/18/09 04:23 PM
02/18/09 04:23 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by DUH
Actually, the turnout for the Worrell was better when it went one design

And the racing closer and more consistent (and exciting) with one design. It's a different matter entirely though - if it's run what you brung, that's a different event than what we're talking about today.

First, I'm thankful that the N20 has not been turned away from this event and, as a sailor who hopes to continue to sail the 20 for a while, I hope it continues to be supported in the Tybee 500 for at least a few more years. The 20 has been the reason the Tybee has survived to this point.

I'm really excited that the F18's are finally reaching a critical mass of participation - it just took some of the right people to say the right things to get the motivation working. I'm certain that it will continue to grow from here and hopefully become one of the premier F18 distance racing events in the world making a critical extension in the life of the Tybee500...there's hardly another stretch of coastline in the world as friendly as the eastern coast of Florida and it's a fantastic place for an all-out distance race.

Handicap racing is fine for a local race weekend or perhaps an event that was founded under that premise (like the Texel). However, a race of this magnitude that requires so much dedication including a substantial investment on part of every team should hold itself to a higher standard than handicap racing if it can do so...especially if the mass of one design boats is large enough to support itself. At the risk of sounding standoffish - I'm really not interested in handicap racing at this level. I wouldn't expect handicap racing at a manufacturer's National or North American championship either.

Due to beach and hotel support limitations, the race can only support a max number of boats (25 or 30?) so there's no point in making it a handicap free-for-all (i.e. Texel). There are also safety issues with boats of vastly different speed potentials doing such a race. If it were the only way to make the race survive or even make it attractive to sponsors, then fine, I would accept the need to race under handicap or find something else to do with my time but I would hopefully know that before the commitment is made.

To put it simply, I wish for the combined amount of energy, time, practice, experience, and resources that every person on our team selflessly devotes to this race be judged and rated in as fair manner possible when we slide onto the beach each night...and handicap ain't it.

Jake Kohl
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Jake] #168690
02/18/09 06:58 PM
02/18/09 06:58 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
To put it simply, I wish for the combined amount of energy, time, practice, experience, and resources that every person on our team selflessly devotes to this race be judged and rated in as fair manner possible when we slide onto the beach each night...and handicap ain't it.

QFT and sig'd.

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Jake] #168749
02/19/09 10:18 AM
02/19/09 10:18 AM
M
Mysterio 6 Offline
Mysterio 6  Offline
M

What happens when none of the F18's can break through the surf like what happenened in Jupiter last year I think or even worse when only one 18 gets through with a few 20's leaving the rest to go up the coast on trailers.Maybe this is a new thread ,just curious where it leaves the racees integrity.

Last edited by Mysterio 6; 02/19/09 10:21 AM.
Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Mysterio 6] #168750
02/19/09 10:23 AM
02/19/09 10:23 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
What happens when none of the F18's can break through the surf like what happenened in Jupiter last year I think

2007... and the whole fleet would take a penalty. If it was scored overall on corrected, none of them would be in contention. Whereas of the whole fleet sat on the beach that day, they'd all be still competitive with each other.

or even worse when only one 18 gets through with a few 20's leaving the rest to go up the coast on trailers.

Fortune favors the brave, and pities the fool.

Re: Should T500 be scored on corrected or as two separate fl [Re: Mysterio 6] #168755
02/19/09 10:46 AM
02/19/09 10:46 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mysterio 6
What happens when none of the F18's can break through the surf like what happenened in Jupiter last year I think or even worse when only one 18 gets through with a few 20's leaving the rest to go up the coast on trailers.Maybe this is a new thread ,just curious where it leaves the racees integrity.

Now you opened a completely different can of worms there! IMHO, the 20 doesn't have an advantage getting through the surf...in fact, I believe it to be quite the contrary due to the huge fat bows on the 20 really taking a big hit when they try to punch through a wave. The team on the F18 you speak of had very little experience in that kind of surf and, as did Team Seacats and most of the other teams that year, they suffered from it.

As far as the penalty goes, 8 hours added to the last place boat's finish for the day is draconian and will typically take a mid to upper team completely out competition (which our sponsors LOVE (not)). To penalize a team MORE for NOT attempting to launch is even worse.

The penalty should be reasonable. A two hour...or even maybe all the way up to a 4 hour addition is plenty of a penalty to destroy whatever position your team was in but still leave you some clawing you can do within the fleet. You think it's easy to pack up all that boat gear, fix the torn sail, broken battens, tattered rigging? When stuff like that happens, assuming that everyone is still in good physical shape afterward, we're eating that huge penalty AND staying up half the night to put the boat back together and fix everything...there's no tactical advantage to fail getting through the surf.

Jake Kohl
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022