Geez-

Bravo 12 $2,899 - Hobie Mono-Hull
Wave Classic 13 $4,499
Getaway 16 $6,599 - includes roller jib - add $750 for wings
Hobie16 SE $8,999
FX-1 (17') $15,999 Euro Model w/trap
Tiger (18') $18,999 Euro Model Formula 18 with Spinnaker

Wildcat will be around 21K!!!

So why not promote the Getaway as a class, maybe add a spin?
I know it is a little heavy for it's size but the cost differential is huge. H16 is approaching 10K race ready. The boat built this market with a reasonable price to fun ratio back in the day.

With the economy in a protracted downturn, shouldn't mfr's be looking at lower cost products to maintain business?

I know a lot of us are serious about racing fast, sexy cats, but if we want to try and increase the number of folks racing (not just sailing) then I think the cost to do so needs to be seriously considered.

Fire away!

Race cheap, race faster, Damnit!

E-Scow
24' ULDB

18HT hulls plus Gcat 5.7 rig = 18GT!
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170404
03/04/09 12:03 PM
03/04/09 12:03 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Wave's and Getaway's are always welcome at our regattas in FL. If they want to add a spin that works for us to. But, it has to be the Getaway owners that organize and take charge of their fleet. I didn't mention the Wave class because they have already done that and are the role model here.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: David Ingram] #170407
03/04/09 12:22 PM
03/04/09 12:22 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
On the west coast we have had a few bravo's race and getaways race. Always welcome here.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: F-18 5150] #170410
03/04/09 12:41 PM
03/04/09 12:41 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline OP
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline OP
addict

Lake Murray SC
Does Hobie actively promote and support any of the classes like they used to in the 80's?

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170413
03/04/09 12:58 PM
03/04/09 12:58 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Or how about this: Used Hobie 18, $750. Used Hobie 14, $500. Used Prindle Escape, $500. These are 3 of the boats have owned. Do you have to have a brand new boat?

And the Catsailor Classifieds above is full of great value boats still capable of winning races with a good driver.

Last edited by Timbo; 03/04/09 01:09 PM.

Blade F16
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Timbo] #170415
03/04/09 01:01 PM
03/04/09 01:01 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline OP
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline OP
addict

Lake Murray SC
I am not looking to buy a boat.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170418
03/04/09 01:12 PM
03/04/09 01:12 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I'm not trying to sell you a boat, just pointing out that you can get a good used cat for quite a bit less than a new one. Then the guy who sold the used one can buy a new one, and so it goes.

Blade F16
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170421
03/04/09 01:31 PM
03/04/09 01:31 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by FasterDamnit
Does Hobie actively promote and support any of the classes like they used to in the 80's?

You mean like having full-time employees who run the race department?

No.

Hobie Cat currently provides a lot of support to the Hobie Class Association. They contribute $ to help support the Hotline, the six Area Championships and general funds for the class. They'll also send swag to pretty much any Hobie Points Regatta that asks for it. They subsidize charter boats (like for the 40th Anniversary Regatta and the US Sailing Multihull Championships).

They are an order of magnitude smaller today than they were in the 80's. We are very grateful for the support we receive - maybe that's why we're so brand loyal.

Oh, and BTW, Getaways are welcome at the HAVAMEGA in November.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Timbo] #170422
03/04/09 01:42 PM
03/04/09 01:42 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
It's kind of the chicken or the egg argument.

Did the guy buy the Getaway to race, or does he just want to cruise with his family? If the guy was a hardcore racer he would've bought something else most likely. So is it worth the effort too try to drag a bunch of people out on the water that aren't really into it in the first place?

Having said that, we regularly have plastic boats sail at our regattas; they are all welcome with open arms. And Timbo's points are spot on!

J

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: mbounds] #170424
03/04/09 01:45 PM
03/04/09 01:45 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

While Hobie Cat company support is quite large (and important), the areas with the highest success level have strong local dealers.

If the dealers aren't telling boat buyers about the fleets, that's a whole lot of new blood we never even get to see.

Not sure if this is a company-driven thing, but there is a strong (as in, intense) perception that Wave and Getaway sailors would never want to race, and we rarely see them contacting the local fleets, or showing up to events (fun days or races) in most parts of the country.

EDIT: Jeremy and I posted simultaneously. As he mentioned, some places in the country are stronger, but even there, I'd bet the percentage of plastic boats showing up is a tiny fraction of the total sold.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 03/04/09 01:47 PM.
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: brucat] #170428
03/04/09 02:43 PM
03/04/09 02:43 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
I paid $7200 + tax for a new H16 in June 2006. I added 6:1 downhaul, a hotstick, and changed the white EPO's to the Kevlar EPO's, (mostly because I needed a good set of rudders/castings for my H14, probably wouldn't have done it otherwise) I didn't have $10k into that boat, even with a set of cattrax and a trailer.

Just my opinion, but the plastic boats aren't cool enough for me, but I'm shallow, and like cool things. $20k for a boat is still pretty cheap IMO for what you get.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170432
03/04/09 02:57 PM
03/04/09 02:57 PM
M
mini Offline
mini  Offline
M

Yo Damnit

Cheap boats will not get any more people out racing. You want a cheap boat do like Timbo says and look in the classifieds. There are pleanty of low dollar rides that can still win races.

These forums are great - everyone wants the new high tech ride. Give me a spin and a square top on a light weight platform, oh by the way throw in some carbon cause it sounds cool and I want it for no more than one of those roto molded jobbies. I want to move it around with 1 finger and have it be bullet proof too - geez.

I applaud Hobie for comming out with a new F18 at around 20K. The amount of technology and componets in that boat along with the expense they had to design, tool and test it - they can not be making much. Look at a performance mono-hull similarly constructed and equiped - they will be on the order of 2 times the cost. If you took a glass boat and dummied it down completely, made it with inexpensive fabrics, took away all the finished seams, removed all the sail controls yata a yata it still would never be less than the roto boats. Look at the cost of an H16 which is about as dumbed down as you can get and has its tooling and development long ago paid for, but is still more than a getaway.

You want people to come and race start having events where people want to come to. Hobie did not sell racing they sold a life style. The class association made the racing. They were lucky in their timing that the factory was able to sell enough to provide support back.

Now you have to make your own events. Dont go bitching about the factories making "expensive boats" and killing racing. That excuse does not stand up.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #170433
03/04/09 03:02 PM
03/04/09 03:02 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
We have the Wave very active east of the Rockies with more regattas than any other class that I have seen, now with the following major regattas:
Great Plains Wave Championships in Kansas
Midwest Wave Championships in Indianapolis
East Coast Wave Championships in Sandy Hook, NJ
North Coast Wave Championships in Put-in-Bay, OH
Atlantic Coast Championships in Duck, NC (Outer Banks)
Southeast and North Americans at Melbourne, FL
West Coast Wave Championships in Havasu, NV
Nationals in Key Largo

By the way, Hobie is supplying at least 20 charter boats at Havasu.
The Wave is the least priced, but fastest growing and most fun and competitive class you will want to see. No one dominates in this class.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: RickWhite] #170434
03/04/09 03:19 PM
03/04/09 03:19 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline OP
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline OP
addict

Lake Murray SC
Rick has a strong point for roto-molded boats with simple sail plans.

Wave is a singlehander that is racing, so why not the same for 2?

The H16 is not even made in the US anymore, which is part of the increase in cost. Sure you can start used, but that does not help the mfr. When the time comes to buy new the price ranges are much wider now. I am not bitching about Hobie making boats that are too expensive. I am wondering if some directed marketing at the Getaway as a racing class could help fleets grow since it is lower cost here in the US. Class association combined w/ some help from Hobie?

Lastly,
I never said expensive boats are killing racing. I am asking if promoting the cheaper, plastic boat might be a better way to build participation.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170435
03/04/09 03:25 PM
03/04/09 03:25 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by FasterDamnit
The H16 is not even made in the US anymore, which is part of the increase in cost.

Not true. Hulls only were being made in AUS, but when the exchange rate went the other way, they brought production back to the US. Metalwork has always been done in the US.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: brucat] #170438
03/04/09 03:35 PM
03/04/09 03:35 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

E Scow?? Jeez......
Bring the Getaway down to MWE in Panama city later this month and race it there. It will be fun.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: ] #170440
03/04/09 03:57 PM
03/04/09 03:57 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
You know what would be really fun? Have a Getaway class with rules that require a mixed crew, male/female, and must have a cooler on board with at least a 6pack of something, on ice, in the cooler when you start. And they have to alternate drivers every race. (She sails, then he sails and they both sell sea shells...)

I realize the H16 class is the closest thing to this concept already and you can get an older, used, H16 cheaper than a new Getaway, but if we are going to start talking about a new class for bringing new people into the sport, let's do it right! grin

Does a Getaway have trapeezes?

Blade F16
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Timbo] #170444
03/04/09 04:14 PM
03/04/09 04:14 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline OP
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline OP
addict

Lake Murray SC
Originally Posted by Timbo
You know what would be really fun? Have a Getaway class with rules that require a mixed crew, male/female, and must have a cooler on board with at least a 6pack of something, on ice, in the cooler when you start. And they have to alternate drivers every race. (She sails, then he sails and they both sell sea shells...)

I realize the H16 class is the closest thing to this concept already and you can get an older, used, H16 cheaper than a new Getaway, but if we are going to start talking about a new class for bringing new people into the sport, let's do it right! grin

Does a Getaway have trapeezes?

Now you're talking!

It has single trap or wings optional-

"Background:
The Hobie Getaway is the "social boat" of Hobie Cat's rotomolded catamaran line. With significantly more hull volume than the ever-popular Hobie Wave, plus huge carrying capacity, the Hobie Getaway comfortably accommodates six adults. Or take the whole family out for a comfortable evening cruise.

A lot of boat at a tremendous price, the Hobie Getaway is designed to withstand rigorous use and provide years of sailing enjoyment for the entire family. The Hobie Getaway. serious performance in a very playful, manageable boat.

Specifications:
Length: 16' 7"
Beam: 7' 8"
Mast Length: 25'
Sail Area: 180 Sq. Ft.
Weight: 390 lbs.
Hull Construction: Roto-Molded Polyethylene
Standard Features:
>> Super Durable, Impact-Resistant Polyethylene Roto-Molded Hulls
>> Special Keel Shape Eliminates Daggerboards for Easy Beaching
>> Kick-Up Rudders Allow Easy Beaching
>> Multi-Colored Main Sail
>> Forward Trampoline
>> Roller Furling Jib
>> "Hobie Bob" Mast Float Helps Prevent Turtling if Capsized
>> Comptip Mast for Safety
>> Cooler/Storage Compartment in both Hulls

Optional Features:
>> Wing Seats
>> Single Trapeze System

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: FasterDamnit] #170448
03/04/09 04:41 PM
03/04/09 04:41 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

You guys are freaking a little bit here. You will NOT be turned away from any hobie regatta IF you are on a Hobie, have a membership(or will get one) and can even have your own start if you have 3-5 boats. It doesn't need much more organization than that in most cases. If you got a boat, get a few other guys with the same thing and head out. www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass pretty much has the entire schedule continent wide, so make plans to go. Easy as that.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: ] #170450
03/04/09 05:14 PM
03/04/09 05:14 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline OP
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline OP
addict

Lake Murray SC
Not the point Xander.

I'm glad the regattas are still wide open to all Hobies.

I see several folks believe it is entirely up to the sailors to build the classes. I say it would benefit Hobie to promote the lower cost boat for 2 person racing. Not throw tons of money at it, but focus the marketing campaign and maybe give it the same support the Wave is enjoying.

Yes,
You need good dealers and folks in the class to push forward.

BTW- Division 9 does not seem to be very active in the southeast. The F18 and A crowd look like the active group here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 121 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022