Memphis, TN
M
mikeborden Offline OP
addict
mikeborden  Offline OP
addict
M

Memphis, TN
Just got back last night at about 2am from Gulfport/Clearwater FL to pickup the Viper and what a ride. So, I'm tired and awake at the same time. smile

I did the races at GYC on Saturday and I have to tell you, the crew there is fantastic, nice, and very nice.(Yup said it twice. smile ). I met Robi, Todd and Janet, Pete and the new Blade owner from Chicago Tom(or is it Thomas, my mind is pretty foggy. ) his friend Steve(Again, foggy) and Matt and Zach Lynch. Everyone made me seem at home and were very helpful in anything I needed.

Race report,
First race, 6-8 knots of wind. I started behind the pack at the start. But somehow I managed to get 8 out of 16 boats?? I think luck had something to do with it because it went downhill after that.

Second race, the wind actually picked up a touch. As a matter of fact, I should have trapezed, because I was afraid of my crossbar to the rudders where going to come apart as I was out on the trapeeze.(I'm saving you from the idiot move I did while setting up the toe-in on the rudders). Since I should have trapeezed I didn't do to well. I also got tired really quick, singlehandling the spinnaker gets tiresome quick!!! So, I think I came in 15 here.

Third race, winds lightened up quite a bit. I got a decent start but I think I managed to pick a couple of bad lines. smile Getting even more tired probably had something to do with it. smile I got a DFL on the last race. smile No biggy in reality, someone has to come in last.

Over all, I very much like the boat and the people that are associated with the F16 class. As a matter of fact, I want to apologize again to Todd and Janet. smile They know what I'm talking about. In the second race, we were pretty close together going to A mark and I tacked over, but they were on starboard and I was on port. I knew they were there, but I was going to go below them, the next thing I knew, they were bearing off also. smile I was like, ooooops!!!! Didn't mean for that to happen. smile Anyway, I apoligize again.

To sum things up...

If any of you haven't been to GYC, you have got to go. Even if its for just a weekend race. Heck, they have food afterwards!!! I'm very happy with my purchase of a new toy and the class that it's associated with. I hope to see you guys soon.
Mike

Last edited by mikeborden; 03/09/09 08:37 AM.

Viper USA 132

1984 Hobie 18
--Advertisement--
Re: WooHoooooo and WHEW!!! [Re: mikeborden] #170943
03/09/09 01:10 PM
03/09/09 01:10 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Mike it was nice meeting you as well. You are welcome down here any day. Remember GYC is doing the GC in Nov and we have our open multihull races in April.

Re: WooHoooooo and WHEW!!! [Re: mikeborden] #171094
03/10/09 10:47 AM
03/10/09 10:47 AM

D
DoubleT
Unregistered
DoubleT
Unregistered
D

Hey Mike,
It was great to meet you, good luck with your new boat and hope
to see you at some other races.
Todd

Re: WooHoooooo and WHEW!!! [Re: mikeborden] #171203
03/10/09 09:49 PM
03/10/09 09:49 PM
Chicago, Illinois USA
TEH Offline
enthusiast
TEH  Offline
enthusiast

Chicago, Illinois USA
I just returned home to the Chicago area from Florida a few hours ago.

Everything that Mike said is so true. The officers and members at GYC are great. Everyone went out of their way to make it a great day for me.

I was new to F16 (got my boat the day before) and got help rigging my Blade from several members, especially Robi. I also got on-the-course pointers during the day from Jill (Fun in the Sun) that helped me improve with each race. Pete Pollard made me feel especially welcome and helped me get through my very clumsy first day on the boat.

The people, the facility and the sailing were absolutely fantastic. If you are in Florida or headed there, this is the place to sail.

P.S. I sailed on Sunday at GYC as a guest. Winds were up a bit from the day before and we had an absolute blast. These boats are fast! Thanks Mary Ann!

Blade F16 USA 725
Re: WooHoooooo and WHEW!!! [Re: TEH] #171376
03/11/09 09:04 PM
03/11/09 09:04 PM
Chattanooga, TN
Joanna Offline
addict
Joanna  Offline
addict

Chattanooga, TN
Glad you all like the new boats!!! Welcome and sail fast!!

Joanna

Blade F16
"Too Sharp to Touch"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 641 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022