03/12/09 08:12 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Gents,

I admit to skimming the previous verbose posts so I don't intend to debate any of the finer points with this post. However, I do wonder why you guys are suggesting such a large deviation from our current Portsmouth system?

Portsmouth suffered a period of inactivity a couple of years ago (for a couple of years) that was a personnel/management issue. This happened about the same time the F16 came on the scene which is a big reason that the F16 adjustment took longer than normal to settle in. However, this was not a flaw in the mechanics of the system itself.

We started this conversation about how to improve Portsmouth and now we're talking about replacing it entirely. Why? Who's complaining?

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171404
03/12/09 08:19 AM
03/12/09 08:19 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I need a crash course in the handicap systems. They are designed to compare two different boats on a "time over distance" basis, correct?

In gathering the data from a bouy race, they would need the elapsed time the boats finished as well as the length of the course, right?

And if it's a one design fleet, this information is not usually kept (only finish position), which tends to screw up calculations?

It seems so simple in theory, but those earlier posts are way too complicated. Are they crunching all those numbers to determine a provisional rating rather than a compliation of historical data?

Jay

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171405
03/12/09 08:21 AM
03/12/09 08:21 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't trust Portsmouth.

"a personnel/management issue." That will always be a concern. We must impose on individuals to tabulate the data and trust the data is provided to them.

With a measurement system, once the data is provided, the work is done. If the data is not provided, the boat shouldn't be rated.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: waterbug_wpb] #171410
03/12/09 08:40 AM
03/12/09 08:40 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I need a crash course in the handicap systems. They are designed to compare two different boats on a "time over distance" basis, correct?

In gathering the data from a bouy race, they would need the elapsed time the boats finished as well as the length of the course, right?

And if it's a one design fleet, this information is not usually kept (only finish position), which tends to screw up calculations?

It seems so simple in theory, but those earlier posts are way too complicated. Are they crunching all those numbers to determine a provisional rating rather than a compliation of historical data?

All of the systems being discussed are "time on time" so no course length data is needed.

Data gathering and processing is the major flaw with PH. Scoring once numbers are established is relatively easy.

The problem, as it stands is that good data is hard to get. Every race has situations that skew data...wind shifts, pressure holes, bad starts, 360 turns, wind shadows, etc. that are uncompensated.

If there was an oversite committee as part of the PH system, then perhaps some of this could be filtered out. I believe a trusted board of perhaps three people could "fix" the anomalies in either system. That is how PHRF works and yes, there have been abuses it seems.

At some point, you just have to pick good people and trust them. A machine or formula cannot accomplish what the human brain can.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171413
03/12/09 08:50 AM
03/12/09 08:50 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Jake
Gents,

We started this conversation about how to improve Portsmouth and now we're talking about replacing it entirely. Why? Who's complaining?

Originally Posted By: David Ingram
You ready to go measurement yet? You had some good points and measurement isn't perfect. At least with measurement we can get all spun up over different flaws in the system.

Sure - you lead this time, I'll follow! Jake

I thought you wanted this!

And....it could simple be a way to improve PH. Like I said, no pretense...just sensible conversation.

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Mugrace72] #171422
03/12/09 09:22 AM
03/12/09 09:22 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
he problem, as it stands is that good data is hard to get. Every race has situations that skew data...wind shifts, pressure holes, bad starts, 360 turns, wind shadows, etc. that are uncompensated.

From a statistical standpoint, since every race has result skewing conditions, they cancel each other out.

I believe portsmouth does a good job. I think we can enhance it a little by modernizing the software that manages it, reviewing the routines for any enhancements we could make, and giving Darline some more help (or helping remove it from her responsibility if that is what she wishes). I am not in favor of the wholesale replacement of it because I feel that it works as well or better than the other options out there. Can it be made better? sure - but I don't think it's even close to needing replacement. You also have to remember that nearly all of the handicap youth / dingy racing in the US also depends on Portsmouth handicap - so the picture here is bigger than catamarans alone and we don't really have the authority to abandon it completely.

The quote with Ding that I had earlier was sarcasm based on the known fact that Ding abhors handicap racing and we've been drumming about this for a while now...that thread was getting more off topic and since this discussion seems to weave into (and overtake) several other threads, Ding pointed it that way as a joke and I was laughing with him (and then it did go that way which is even funnier).

I'll try to read up on NMBRs tonight because I don't remember the finer details of the system...but if I remember correctly, it's a tweak to the measurement based systems to add two ratings per platform to accommodate different wind strengths. It also includes a polynomial trend into the performance curve for the boat to better account for the variations in performance among basic boat configurations. If I have this correct, it's still a wholesale change for the Portsmouth situation and would require a whole lot of new work to be done.

Measurement systems exist and if Portsmouth was to enhance itself by adding some measurement basis, there are other measurement systems that already established the boat numbers and their experimentation is complete. We wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Wouter has done some neat things but it seems that the other existing systems have already incorporated some of those thoughts.

Jake Kohl
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171432
03/12/09 10:56 AM
03/12/09 10:56 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
My only point in this dicussion was, is there a "better" system using measurements instead of race time? And can we not take times even when a single fleet is racing against itself, like at a Nationals, where the top skippers are racing? Then that time can be compared to it's P number to see if it needs adjusting. And to throw one more measure into the system, could we measure the distance from A to C mark, so that when we have several fleets racing against themselves, like the upcoming Perf. N/A's, we can gather some data on speed over distance.

Or could they at least keep the time of the fist boat, start to finish, in each fleet, to see how they compare to each other?

As some here have said, getting good input data seems to be the problem with P number racing, as Jack pointed out above there can be other issues too.

Last edited by Timbo; 03/12/09 11:27 AM.

Blade F16
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171433
03/12/09 10:59 AM
03/12/09 10:59 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
If the energy applied to this thread had been put into Portsmouth this year, we wouldn't have the thread. Pete, you're still counting on someone to do the measurements and certify boats - ask Scoob how that's going. When was your boat measured? I know all the Capricorns in the US have been measured (in AUS) - have any other boats in any class been certified? Estimate that level of effort, please. After you name the measurers.

We are the ones we're relying on to do the work. Portsmouth is a big tent that allows dinghies, monos and multihulls to race - it happens. Don't imagine that the way things are done at your club or beach is the way it is everywhere under the grand old flag. Portsmouth allows for a Hobie 20 with a spinnaker, a Supercat 22, a singlehand Nacra 20 or Hobie 18... other systems don't account for these not-uncommon occurrences in the US - what modifiers are available in Texel and SCHRS?

It seems to me that there is a rush to do some work to set up a new system that will replace a system that needs some work. Do you see? Work to avoid doing work... Someone's always trying to rollerskate uphill.

I hope that some of you will participate in a Skype call we've set up for the Multihull Council meeting later this month - or better yet, if you're close, come to Denver and help show that cat sailors exist beyond the five of us they normally see. This topic is expected to take some time. But make no mistake - those that run it will not always be around. That isn't some kind of warning - that's the fact. We saw what happened last time Darline stepped aside. Nothing. My spectacular failure in the past five or six years has been that I have failed to inspire anyone to service. I can make excuses like, "US Sailing is unpopular," but come November I worry that my term on the Council will be the period at the end of a sentence rather than another line in an enduring tale.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: John Williams] #171434
03/12/09 11:08 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
Originally Posted by John Williams

what modifiers are available in Texel and SCHRS?
I

It's all in the numbers.
http://www.schrs.com/schrs/site/exe/SCHRSCalc2007.exe

Cheshirecatman

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171435
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
I think we have a more pressing issue... Darline needs to pass the current responsibility to someone. If not now then soon. I volunteered but was told no, well it was more like F!@# NO! Something about being a DPN bigot or some other rubbish, I don't know where people get this from.

Anyway, taking over DPN from Darline has to be our first priority so the current system doesn't degrade.

Jack I can understand your reluctance to take over a system you don't believe in but, you'll be very connected to it and this will certainly be of value no matter which direction the handicap system in the US goes.

Last edited by David Ingram; 03/12/09 11:15 AM.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: David Ingram] #171438
03/12/09 11:26 AM
03/12/09 11:26 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Mugrace I can understand your reluctance to take over a system you don't believe in but, you'll be very connected to it and this will certainly be of value no matter which direction the handicap system in the US goes.

Dave,

I don't think I ever said I don't believe in PH in principle. What I have said is I am willing to help someone make a system work better in our geographic area. I don't want to take over the whole scheme. Only tweak it where we race, as an experiment. If that works out well, them perhaps it might spread to other areas.

You certainly don't want to scrap the existing system in one brash move and you don't want to force any of it where it is not universally desired.

And John, I only checked into Wouter's system to see what he had. It seems that all of the measurement systems have similarities and may only be useful to us as starting points for new or rare platforms.

How can I help without causing grief and concern within the present structure?

As I said in the beginning, I am reluctant to get too deeply involved, mainly because I believe I have technological deficiencies.

I don't know Darlene, but from what I can tell, she does a great job with the resources that are presented her.

However, that in itself can be limiting and hence...discouraging.

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: David Ingram] #171440
03/12/09 11:29 AM
03/12/09 11:29 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Count me out of any Area Alter Cup regattas until there is a believable system.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Jake] #171441
03/12/09 11:31 AM
03/12/09 11:31 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
he problem, as it stands is that good data is hard to get. Every race has situations that skew data...wind shifts, pressure holes, bad starts, 360 turns, wind shadows, etc. that are uncompensated.

From a statistical standpoint, since every race has result skewing conditions, they cancel each other out.

I disagree that they cancel. They only stack upon each other to further skew the outcome.

Pehaps an interview would be required with each crew as to how well they think they sailed the race before their data would be tallied? smile

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: pgp] #171443
03/12/09 11:32 AM
03/12/09 11:32 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline OP
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline OP
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by pgp
Count me out of any Area Alter Cup regattas until there is a believable system.

Straight up on Waves laugh

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Mugrace72] #171444
03/12/09 11:35 AM
03/12/09 11:35 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now there's a thought! laugh

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Mugrace72] #171445
03/12/09 11:36 AM
03/12/09 11:36 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I'm also a fan of measuring our A-C marks because then you can tell how fast you are going, kind of like how race cars measure their lap times. If we would try to always set the same distance from A-C then we could use more data to derive a good baseline as to how fast each cat is, in knots, mph, what ever. But be consistant.

Does anyone know about how far the A-C distance is at the Olympic Tornado events? Is there any specified distance as minimum or maximum? I'm thinking one mile even ought to be pretty easy to do using a hand held GPS unit.

Blade F16
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: Mugrace72] #171446
03/12/09 11:39 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Sorry Jack if I misread your earlier post.

As far as your concern with causing a disruption with the multihull community by presenting a different system. That concern is really a non issue. An OA can use any system they wish right now, so it's nothing more that putting another system on the list to choose from. Currently USSsailing does not mandate that a USSailing santioned event must use DPN. For example as the Area D South rep I could have the Area Elims scored using SCHRF (relax people DPN will used for 2009 (maybe)).

The issue sitting in front of us today (actually yesterday) is taking over Darline's responsibilities. Darline has served the sailing community well and we owe here a great debt and it's time to give her a well earned break. Let's get this action item off the list then focus on how to improve the handicap system in the US.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: pgp] #171447
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
It's interesting to me that the only people I've observed complain about Portsmouth are the mediocre racers.

The fast guys are oddly silent...

Re: Wouter Moment [Re: John Williams] #171449
03/12/09 11:44 AM
03/12/09 11:44 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Originally Posted by John Williams
... other systems don't account for these not-uncommon occurrences in the US - what modifiers are available in Texel and SCHRS?

Erm, we do not need to have "modifiers". a boat is a boat. Get it measured and you have the rating. No need to have "modifiers" to cater for this.

Put a bigger (or smaller) sail on your boat? Get it measured and you have the new rating.

Want to leave your crew at home? easy, plug the numbers into the rating engine and this will give you a rating (assuming you leave the boat the same).

The whole point of measurement systems is that you do NOT need to have "modifiers" as the measurement rule already deals with this. No need for a "out of class" sail modification, just get it measured. No need for a "outsize" sail modification, just get it measured.

John, give me a call on Skype to discuss if you want to understand how simple it is.

Last edited by scooby_simon; 03/12/09 11:44 AM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Wouter Moment [Re: tami] #171450
03/12/09 11:45 AM
03/12/09 11:45 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It keeps them from seeming arrogant, IMO. If, like me, you are mediocre or worse, a bogus system turns climbing a mountain into trying to make **** run uphill.

In any case, I have it on good authority, that the folks who are legitimate contenders would prefer a "quieter" race course.

Last edited by pgp; 03/12/09 11:50 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 164 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022