scooby_simon Offline OP
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by waynemarlow
It just irked me a little to slowly but surely pass the F18 ahead only to find he then beats me on handicap.
I remember finishing behind you and beating you on handicap with my not quite F16 Stealth 'R' in club races. You didn't like it there either smile

With my 1.03 you owe me almost 3 minutes per hour of racing: I'm not sure I'm ever going to replace that pin head main smile

Who was racing the Viper? newcomers to the class?

Chris Sprout has bought the Viper he sailed at Mumbles in 2008.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
--Advertisement--
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pepin] #183596
06/30/09 08:02 AM
06/30/09 08:02 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

But Eric you and I know you are a better sailor after all you were the babe of a very good sailor and have sailed all your life, I have only recently started to sail cats.

You also know that I think the sail area we have is too much for the single hander and the next sail I buy will be equal to yours and then we go head to head ( and I reckon you should still beat me as experiance counts for so much in sailing ) smile .

The Viper was Chris Sproat who normally sails a Spitfire, a very very good sailor and he should do well.

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pgp] #183598
06/30/09 08:10 AM
06/30/09 08:10 AM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp
"The maths unfortunately of SCHRS doesn't allow for the slower handling of sails etc by the single hander, but then no handicap system is perfect."

I can't grow two new hands, but the system can be modified.

Think about it this way.

When do the Single handers struggle?

I'm faster than similar skilled F18 sailors up to about F4, at that point I run out of hands and wiring down wind becomes more difficult and so I am less competitive.

How much wind do you USUALLY sail in, what % is over F4? I'd wager not much unless you live in an area where it ALWAYS blows.

I'm comparable down wind with similar skilled Tornado's; again struggling >F4 as sailing down wind gets too busy.

We also need to be honest with ourselves as to our skill level and where in the F18 fleet we might be; REMEMBER SCHRS is rating the boat, so the BEST sailor should win when the wind is constant.

But also remember boats have sweet spots.

I'm going to be watching the F18's carefully this year as Chris Field has a guest appearance. He was 4th at the A class Euro's; where will he get on on an F18?

Simon Northrop is a good sailor and just won th ECPR from William, who is also a damn good sailor; in fact there was a fair spread of skill at the ECPR. But there was some top notch sailors, that I would NOT expect to beat.

We are again looking at SCHRS with a view to some updates. If you have some CONSTRUCTIVE ideas that are feasable please email your proposal me. I cannot guarantee it will be included, but I will review ALL constructive emails.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #183601
06/30/09 08:19 AM
06/30/09 08:19 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"If you have some CONSTRUCTIVE ideas that are feasable please email your proposal me. I cannot guarantee it will be included, but I will review ALL constructive emails."

There's the real problem with any handicap system. One guy annoints himself as God.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pgp] #183608
06/30/09 08:56 AM
06/30/09 08:56 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by pgp
There's the real problem with any handicap system. One guy annoints himself as God.
You don't know Simon: he is God smile

And to be fair, Simon doesn't decide. The SCHRS committee does, and it's not just Simon.

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #183614
06/30/09 09:28 AM
06/30/09 09:28 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by scooby_simon
[...]
Think about it this way.

When do the Single handers struggle?[...]

I've sailed on a Hurricane a couple of weeks ago. The differences at a top mark rounding without launching a spi:

- Single: I have to round the mark, ease the main sheet, release the traveler a bit. 3 controls: 2 hands. All that from the wire. 10-15 seconds.

- Double: We have to round the mark, ease the main sheet, release the traveler a bit, ease the jib. 4 controls, 4 hands. 5 seconds.

Same thing at the low mark.

What about a tack? Well:

- single: I have to round, get in, sheet out a bit, get back on the wire, sheet in again. 2 control, 2 hands. Plus a wire swap.

- Double: Round, no need to sheet out as the jib will pull you out (jib's on self tacker, nothing to do). 1 controls, 4 hands.

Add a spi and the nightmare begins:

Single: Sheet out main, ease traveler, head downwind, make sure lines are clear, let go of the tiller praying for no sudden gusts, pull spi up, grab tiller, sheet in main, maybe traveler, sheet in spi. Too many things to do, not enough hands.

Double: add two hands, and maybe sheeting out two inches of jib. Boat is under complete control while the spi is going up with someone holding the main and the tiller.

Anything goes wrong on the boat? Line fouling? Need to tie a knot somewhere? Well, when solo you have to stop. Duo, you just send your slave^Wcrew to fix it while taking it easy but still screaming at 12 knots...

So yes, I think solo sailors are at a disadvantage. Not to mention that with a crew one can drive hard while the other can keep his eyes out for tactical moves.

Accounting for that in the rating? I'm not sure it's possible. How do you quantify it?

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pepin] #183615
06/30/09 09:29 AM
06/30/09 09:29 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ah, but he is the one speaking arbitrarily. wink

If SCHRS rates the boat, how does it account for the jib/self tacker vs no jib?

There is always room for improvement in any system which is imperfect. Unattainable perhaps, but desirable none the less.

Last edited by pgp; 06/30/09 09:34 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pgp] #183629
06/30/09 10:03 AM
06/30/09 10:03 AM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp

There is always room for improvement in any system which is imperfect. Unattainable perhaps, but desirable none the less.

The Jib is factored as it changes the sail area of the boat and is an additional sail.

As Eric states, the SCHRS group operate as a group. We discuss things and then form a consensus and then things change. We spend a massive amount of time on rule management and development. I had a couple of meetings this weekend regarding suggestions to improve the rating rule, I am now going to write a paper on it and submit it to the group for discussion. Once that discussion has taken place, if a consensus is reached we will then propose some amendments to the rule.

Last edited by scooby_simon; 06/30/09 10:03 AM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pepin] #183632
06/30/09 10:10 AM
06/30/09 10:10 AM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pepin
[...]
Think about it this way.

When do the Single handers struggle?[...]

I've sailed on a Hurricane a couple of weeks ago. The differences at a top mark rounding without launching a spi:

- Single: I have to round the mark, ease the main sheet, release the traveler a bit. 3 controls: 2 hands. All that from the wire. 10-15 seconds.

I do this thus. Come off the wire and release travaller as I come in; if there is enough wind to wire, there is prob enough to do wild-thing with the mainsail only, don't need to sheet out much
- Double: We have to round the mark, ease the main sheet, release the traveler a bit, ease the jib. 4 controls, 4 hands. 5 seconds.

It's still quicker 2 up.

Same thing at the low mark.

Agree

What about a tack? Well:

- single: I have to round, get in, sheet out a bit, get back on the wire, sheet in again. 2 control, 2 hands. Plus a wire swap.

Put helm over, come in and across, don't trip over crew or jib sheets, hook on go out and sheet in. I can tack my F16 MUCH faster than I could tack my Hurricane

- Double: Round, no need to sheet out as the jib will pull you out (jib's on self tacker, nothing to do). 1 controls, 4 hands.

Add a spi and the nightmare begins:

Single: Sheet out main, ease traveler, head downwind, make sure lines are clear, let go of the tiller praying for no sudden gusts, pull spi up, grab tiller, sheet in main, maybe traveler, sheet in spi. Too many things to do, not enough hands.

Agree it's slower, but you have better power to weight and so will be faster down wind, the hurricane DOES get hit as it has more righting moment

Double: add two hands, and maybe sheeting out two inches of jib. Boat is under complete control while the spi is going up with someone holding the main and the tiller.

Anything goes wrong on the boat? Line fouling? Need to tie a knot somewhere? Well, when solo you have to stop. Duo, you just send your slave^Wcrew to fix it while taking it easy but still screaming at 12 knots...

So yes, I think solo sailors are at a disadvantage. Not to mention that with a crew one can drive hard while the other can keep his eyes out for tactical moves.

Accounting for that in the rating? I'm not sure it's possible. How do you quantify it?

We added "righting moment" to the rule last time we changed it; essentially it means that boats with 2 crew get hit harder as they have more RM them can move around. This helps the single handers.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #183633
06/30/09 10:12 AM
06/30/09 10:12 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp

The Jib is factored as it changes the sail area of the boat and is an additional sail.

As Eric states, the SCHRS group operate as a group. We discuss things and then form a consensus and then things change. We spend a massive amount of time on rule management and development. I had a couple of meetings this weekend regarding suggestions to improve the rating rule, I am now going to write a paper on it and submit it to the group for discussion. Once that discussion has taken place, if a consensus is reached we will then propose some amendments to the rule.

I appreciate all the hard work. Thank you.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #183641
06/30/09 10:27 AM
06/30/09 10:27 AM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL

Think about it this way.

When do the Single handers struggle?

It depends on who the single hander is. If we have been a while off the boat every line on mine and a few from other boats ends up wrapped around my ankles. When I single my techniques to maintain boat speed while trimming the sails correctly are less than smooth. I would say that most of the sailors who race regularly have attained a level of proficiency where they could be considered "even" skill wise. They may however, get beat regularly and maybe by a lot because of what Pepin described. Simple smooth boat handling can easily be a boat length or 2 in each tack and 4-5 boat lengths around a mark. (Course 2, 6 legs, 6 roundings, ave 3 tacks/jibes per leg = easily 50 boat lengths) Most teams are not losing by nearly that much.

Boat only handicaps can not include every parameter like self tacker, winged masts etc because if they do, their gain or value is really dependant on the crew making them work. Adjustable things can make you quite a bit slower in reality just because you end up adjusting in stead of sailing.

Maybe we need a handicap scoring system based on teams; people and boat together. We used to use this in our old fleet in the midwest. Most of the guys were on H16 but it worked fine for the random 17, 20 or 18 who also raced. This way you have a personal handicap score that is tracked just like bowling or golf. You do well in an event and your rating drops. Unfortunately there are but a few of us racing these days, so compiling a start place would not be that difficult technically. Getting agreement as to any particular number for some individuals will be. cool

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: Matt M] #183650
06/30/09 10:55 AM
06/30/09 10:55 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I didn't take my milk of magnesia last night so I was just giving Scooby a boot in the nutz. Seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Personally, I think handicap results make great data; they provide lots of consversations at the bar. But trophies need to be awarded on performanc i.e. you cross the line first, you win imo.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pgp] #183651
06/30/09 10:59 AM
06/30/09 10:59 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline

Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Milk of magnesia??

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #183653
06/30/09 11:05 AM
06/30/09 11:05 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #183656
06/30/09 11:08 AM
06/30/09 11:08 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Milk of magnesia??

What is given to small babies, by our mothers, to stop the babies crying when having "wind" problems. smile

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: waynemarlow] #183660
06/30/09 11:13 AM
06/30/09 11:13 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here it is widely touted for constipation, lots of TV commercials.

Seriously, laxative dependence can be a serious health problem. People are much better to keep hydrated, eat a high fiber diet and exercise. If you need a laxative, your body is trying to tell you something. Like, "it has stopped raining so go mow the grass."

Last edited by pgp; 06/30/09 11:18 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: pgp] #183700
06/30/09 03:13 PM
06/30/09 03:13 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Pictures are up.

Follow instructions here:

http://www.eastcoastpiersrace.com/

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #183711
06/30/09 04:23 PM
06/30/09 04:23 PM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

See Nick and I are famous, where was Scooby ??? cool

Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: waynemarlow] #183719
06/30/09 05:03 PM
06/30/09 05:03 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by waynemarlow
See Nick and I are famous, where was Scooby ??? cool

ECPR09-257.jpg to pic ECPR09-263.jpg

cool

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: ECPR - Long or short course? [Re: scooby_simon] #184079
07/03/09 04:22 PM
07/03/09 04:22 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Low res versions of images from the photographer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Photo Credit Sally Hitt
The Moment Images.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 281 guests, and 100 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022