South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Deja Vu ... Shades of Wine and Roses

It's all about expectations... what does the NOR say?

If it doesn't ... perhaps the OA should resolve the class splits now and announce them before you get in the car and drive!

Sorry Jake... I think when you say... well... if 5 boats show up then they should get their own start.... begs the question... what happens to the oddball who would have competed against the 5 boats, traveled, paid and is now in a non competitive class. It really is too late to decide this sort of thing at the skippers meeting.

Put in the NOR... or have the OA make their best guess at attendance, declare the class splits and let the racers know ahead of time.

Mark, don't you have anything better to do than bash us for having a regatta and talking about how it might be run? Fact is, I don't care how this regatta is scored out. I'll try my best to win whatever class I'm in. And, something's working - there are 39 boats signed up for what is typically one of our smaller regattas. Please stop being such a pain and put your energy into building/fixing your own area.

Jake Kohl
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Dlennard] #190730
09/10/09 11:43 AM
09/10/09 11:43 AM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline
addict

Graham, NC
I couldn't decide on this event whether to take my boat off the beach or not. Seeing the registrations go up I really thought about it, but rain on Monday so I left it on the beach. After checking weather and wind forecast today I'm glad I did.

Gonna be sailing in N Myrtle if anyone is down that way.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: WindyHillF20] #190732
09/10/09 11:46 AM
09/10/09 11:46 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Thanks Mike

THe wind forecast wasn't exactly enticing for Myrtle Beach - yet the rest of us from around the area came down to support a long standing renaissance of a regatta that we believed in.

Hrmph.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: ThunderMuffin] #190734
09/10/09 11:50 AM
09/10/09 11:50 AM
Hartwell, Ga
bulldogbarber Offline
stranger
bulldogbarber  Offline
stranger

Hartwell, Ga
Hey Tad did you find a hotel?

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: bulldogbarber] #190737
09/10/09 12:11 PM
09/10/09 12:11 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
No, I'm going to bring rum along to try and bribe my way into a RV or get one of my friends to bring a tent, or just sleep in my car.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: ThunderMuffin] #190738
09/10/09 12:15 PM
09/10/09 12:15 PM
Cary, NC
Storz Offline
Storz  Offline

Cary, NC
Originally Posted by Undecided
No, I'm going to bring rum along to try and bribe my way into a RV or get one of my friends to bring a tent, or just sleep in my car.

With enough rum you probably won't care when you end up sleeping, I've heard pine straw is quite comfy crazy

Ryan
1983 Isotope
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: ThunderMuffin] #190740
09/10/09 12:40 PM
09/10/09 12:40 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline
addict

Graham, NC
I know it and I do feel guilty.

I still don't have the main sail worked out and I know I would just get frustrated and angry at myself when my boat won't go.

And, being layed off every other week is eating up any disposable income I have, the beach is free except for gas.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Mark Schneider] #190754
09/10/09 02:56 PM
09/10/09 02:56 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
It's all about expectations... what does the NOR say?
If it doesn't ... perhaps the OA should resolve the class splits now and announce them before you get in the car and drive!
Put in the NOR... or have the OA make their best guess at attendance, declare the class splits and let the racers know ahead of time.

I disagree. In an open invitational event such as this, there is no way the Organizing Authority can know ahead of time what boats will attend. The only reasonable course is to declare class break-out at the event. Furthermore, Race Committee is free under the rules to start multiple classes together. It wouldn't make sense to declare separate starts in the NOR.

Good Race Committees understand that their job is to serve the sailors. They are happy to provide separate or combined starts - whichever the competitors prefer. They do not dictate the racing format ex cathedra. That said, it is our responsibility as racers to tell RC our preferences. That's really why I wanted to have this discussion - so we could form our opinions in advance and be ready with them upon arrival.

When I am PRO for an event, I usually seek our "fleet captains" and ask them what their class members would like. RC wants input, and sailors want to be heard. I suggest each design decide amongst themselves what they would like, and send a representative to tell Race Committee on their behalf - preferably well before the competitors' meeting. Good, open communication can only improve the event.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Isotope235] #190767
09/10/09 05:35 PM
09/10/09 05:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
2 Classes Open to any one design catamaran 21’ in length or less, that completes registration with the organizing authority
One design classes shall consist of at least 2 boats except that of a handicap fleet or fleets which may be
formed at the discretion of the race committee. The current US Sailing Portsmouth handicap yardstick table for
multi hulls will be used for handicap fleet scoring.
An overall class consisting of all fleets may be formed and scored in addition to fleet scoring at the discretion of
the race committee and or regatta organizers. Awards for this fleet will be announced at the competitors meeting.

Eric
the NOR is pretty clear.

2 boats of a class make a fleet per the NOR.

I ask, because my personal preference is combined starts or handicap. I suspect that's unusual. Isotopes typically put around 12 boats on the line at club racing, so traveling to race in a fleet of 5 doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I view away regattas as a chance to mix it up with other designs, and that's what I'm hoping for at Catfest. ........I'd be more than happy to start with, or even race handicap with those boats (and the Wave too) - even if enough Isotopes were present to make a one-design fleet.

Sounds like they will also create a large portsmouth race as well as a one design race.

The only question is the fleet splits.

So, the keel boat races that I attend solve this by deciding on Friday if the OD fleet has enough boats... If not, they kill it off and add the boats to the handicap class and then make their handicap splits and publish it for the participants.

I disagree. In an open invitational event such as this, there is no way the Organizing Authority can know ahead of time what boats will attend.

Not true! they have 40 boats pre registered already.
In this example, You have 8 one design classes with 2 or more boats.

I suggest each design decide amongst themselves what they would like, and send a representative to tell Race Committee on their behalf -

In a perfect world... perhaps... but at the Wine and Roses PRO found out... the agreement reached at the skippers meeting by speaking with a few people was not understood or accepted by all of the sailors.

I suspect the PRO knows how many starts he can manage and will just decide with out the big conference call.

The important issue to get clear is that the sailors expect to race all spin boats around the course or just their one design class. This was the fundamental problem at Wine and Roses. (The infamous... get out of here... I am not racing you problem)

preferably well before the competitors' meeting.

Absolutely... but the other half is to tell the competitors with sufficient time so that they can choose.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Mark Schneider] #190778
09/10/09 06:49 PM
09/10/09 06:49 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
the NOR is pretty clear.

I could argue about what the NOR says in terms of class breakout, but I'm not going to.

In an open invitational event such as this, there is no way the Organizing Authority can know ahead of time what boats.

Not true! they have 40 boats pre registered already.

As of two days before the event. If you asked the OA how many boats of each design they would have the day before they published the NOR, there's no way they could have guessed.

In a perfect world... perhaps... but at the Wine and Roses PRO found out... the agreement reached at the skippers meeting by speaking with a few people was not understood or accepted by all of the sailors.

Which is a problem I'm trying to avoid by polling the sailors ahead of time.

I suspect the PRO knows how many starts he can manage and will just decide with out the big conference call.

I suspect that the PRO knows she can run a better event with competitor input, than by acting in a vacuum.

The important issue to get clear is that the sailors expect to race all spin boats around the course or just their one design class. This was the fundamental problem at Wine and Roses.

I believe the NOR makes it clear that Catfest will be scored (and awards given) in multiple ways.

Absolutely... but the other half is to tell the competitors with sufficient time so that they can choose.

Choose what?

But, none of that is really germaine. I asked the other people going to Catfest what is their starting preference. Would you prefer a separate start, or a combined start? My intent was to get a discussion going before the competitors' meeting, so that we could give the OA/PRO advance input and hopefully get a better regatta.

Mark, I don't see your name in the preregistration list. Are you attending? If so, what kind of boat will you sail and what is your start preference? Would you be willing to canvas your class and relay their desires to the OA/PRO at registration so as to have an event that is better than "Whine and Roses" was?

You can complain about how RC did something that the sailors didn't like - or you can help RC run things better. I'm opting for the latter.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Mark Schneider] #190779
09/10/09 06:50 PM
09/10/09 06:50 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Mark,
Aren't you racing on Triple Threat this weekend? If your not going to Catfest,mind your own bizness.Leave em' alone.I know your still sour from the Spring Fever a bazillion years ago, but geeeez ,let it go. Bonehead! See ya this weekend.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Isotope235] #190797
09/10/09 10:42 PM
09/10/09 10:42 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Eric, you're wrestling with a pig.

Jake Kohl
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: Jake] #190798
09/10/09 10:44 PM
09/10/09 10:44 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
Tad, I just figured out that I can't make it but I can send a tent up via David Strickland if you need it. But you puke in it and it's yours rumboy.

Of COurse if that were true you'd already own my RV smile

Last edited by zander; 09/10/09 10:45 PM.

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: zander] #190809
09/11/09 07:33 AM
09/11/09 07:33 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Of COurse if that were true you'd already own my RV

:guilty:

Thanks for the offer Chris - but I think I'm covered now smile

Trey needs crew. AlanO'saurus is sick and wont be able to make it.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: ThunderMuffin] #190817
09/11/09 09:34 AM
09/11/09 09:34 AM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline OP
addict
drbinkle  Offline OP
addict
D

NC
Trey should sail with Jen.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: drbinkle] #190818
09/11/09 09:57 AM
09/11/09 09:57 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Thats what I said.

Re: Fleet (start) preferences [Re: ThunderMuffin] #190820
09/11/09 10:29 AM
09/11/09 10:29 AM
Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
MarkW_F18 Offline
enthusiast
MarkW_F18  Offline
enthusiast

Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
Let's see if their relationship can stand up to that. But I know Jen has had to put up with a lot from you.

Trey I can give you some tips if you're interested.

Mark Williams
F18 H16
http://emsa-sailing.org
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022