10/08/09 05:57 AM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

East Gippsland, Australia
Well did you guys sail?

I had a race against a handful of trailer-sailers on Saturday here on the Gippsland Lakes. Had a blast. It was 15 knots at the start, and increased for the whole race. By the end of the run I could only go straight downwind with the spinnaker. I knew gybing was going to be dicey (especially after a lazy winter) but I tried anyway and rolled it in to amuse the nearest trailer-sailer I was about to lap! The boat was being blown along on it's side so fast I had trouble hanging on at one point.

Certainly washed all the dust off - me and the boat.

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sailing This Weekend [Re: Matt_Stone] #192914
10/08/09 07:09 AM
10/08/09 07:09 AM
Melb. Aust
Trevor Offline
enthusiast
Trevor  Offline
enthusiast

Melb. Aust
Hi All, It seems I have forgotten a couple of updates:

A couple of Saturdays ago Nic, Peter L and I revisited Sugarloaf after the blow out the week before.

Race O'clock was 1:30 and by 1:25 I was still on the beach trying to figure out how to properly run the jib up the forestay! I got it up held by the rather thin and stretchy halyard and went out, only to have both Peter L and Nic fly past going to the first mark cry

I rounded through the start line to see the guys round the first mark - Not too bad as it was only a couple of hundred metres away - about 4 minutes...

We caught a fantastic breeze that saw us along side Nic as we rounded the next mark. Peter took that moment to warn us of a bullet by tipping it in - 10 points for the perfect entry off the back grin

I took the windward track while Nic went to leeward around him, the Toy took the lead for the next triangle but ran out of speed when the jib started to come down the forestay mad A couple of triangles later saw everyone catch up - The crew decided we had to stop to make repairs, so we pulled in to the side (can do that on a lake!)By the time we got back out Nic was long gone, with Peter only about 20 metres back. This time we had our speed back and managed to just get past Nic before the finish. shocked

Last Saturday, Nic, Peter C and I invaded the lush green lawn at Elwood Sailing Club. Fantastic and friendly venue - Thanks to them cool

This time the Toy made the start and led the Mossies from there. Nic melted into the background after dislocating his kneecap and decided to retire sick For the rest of the race I had no chance of shaking Peter C off, and we finished with the Toy just in front.

It sounds good, but we actually came in 2nd and 3rd behind a PT blush . Peter was demanding the keys to 1805 back after this cry

Loved it though - Excellent start to the season

Trevor

Mozzie 1828
' '
Sugarloaf Sailing Club
Melbourne
Re: Sailing This Weekend [Re: Trevor] #192989
10/09/09 01:03 AM
10/09/09 01:03 AM
Melbourne
Nic M Offline OP
Nic M  Offline OP

Melbourne
Oh, the knee......has been in ice for the week......very sore. No sailing for me this weekend.

Nic Maan
Sanity 1815
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 192 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022