01/27/10 12:45 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
I understand about the leeward mark... seeing it wasn't a problem, it was differentiating it so don't think biggeer marks are the solution, simply having the gate a different color or clearly different from the pin and finish buoy would be sufficient.
John I guess next year you just shouldn't be out in front so much! smile
One thing we did was use the 20 fleet rounding the windward mark to judge where it was. It's a lot easier to see boats putting up their chutes than the small mark... I guess the 20's don't have that option the first beat but by the 2nd you probably should have some F16s or other 20's.
Pretty obvious that Optis and Lasers should not be on the same course as cats... Lasers I could deal with but Optis NO WAY!
I think asking Rick to go out and buy new marks is crazy but it's great to offer advice like this to switch to the yellow marks the other course was using or etc.

Overall I would say this is by far the best tradewinds i've ever been to and one of the best regattas I attended all year (and I sailed about 15).. great job by all involved and kudos for accepting constructive critiscim!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: David Ingram] #201431
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Undecided
At a regatta I attend up here on Lake Lanier, they put the multihulls on the same course as the lasers, thistles, and optis.

The thing is that the optis were the last start - we were the first. We did our two laps and by the time we were finishing, the optis were in their start sequence. The finish line was like how it was during TW and so the 40 or so optis were lined up like ducks across the finish line while I'm doing 20 knots to the finish. Scary stuff.

The RC didn't even notice us finishing.

I'm not sure how your example applies to the Tradewinds having a seperate start finish line, or am I missing another point you are trying to make?

The example you've sited also sounds like a long standing dingy regatta that a few multi's got an invite for. We've all attended one of these and we all pretty much know what to expect. It's rare that a dingy PRO will fully understand the issues of putting multi's on the dingy course straight out of the box.

Just relating my own experiences with the start/finish line setup that we had at TW. Thats all.

No ball kicking necessary.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #201432
01/27/10 01:03 PM
01/27/10 01:03 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Undecided

As for you Schneider - your continuing insistence to butt into conversations that revolve around events that you don't have the sack to show up for really shows that you are truly a peanut gallery master. Your comments are loathe, trite and petty. You bring NOTHING of value to any topic where you have no skin in the game. While my opinions might not be shared by my fellow competitors (as if I really compete with them, I'm just there for the comraderie) but at least I was there. I paid my entry fee. You're just a pathetic man who feels that he's so much smarter than the rest of us SOB's out there and that you can do it so much better.

So if you show up at Spring Fever you can try to make me think otherwise - which I seriously doubt because you don't have the cajones.

Mark, You gonna put up with that?
The funny thing is , you two are so alike it's scary.

It's like oil and oil. hahaha too funny.

Jake Kohl
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #201433
01/27/10 01:06 PM
01/27/10 01:06 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

Mark, You gonna put up with that?
The funny thing is , you two are so alike it's scary.

I was thinking the exact same thing... and that is what is really scary.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: wildtsail] #201434
01/27/10 01:13 PM
01/27/10 01:13 PM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I'd also like to say a big thanks to all the folks who help to put the race on. Really nice job.

I thought everything went really well.

My crew had a hard time seeing the marks but what's new? I just knew to go out to that group of three crab pots on the left and tack. If you go right and start getting in skinny water you went too far. laugh

The offset mark would really be nice. It's hard to set well so please talk to your race committee about it. Should be 90 degrees and about 5 boat lengths = 100 ft.

One time when finishing it was really tough to finish and miss the mark and not hit the anchor line on the committee boat. Like threading a needle where the eye of the needle keeps moving. I asked Warren to widen it and it was better after that. So thanks to Warren for listening.

When coming down from A mark it was hard to figure out which mark was what. It got really hard when other boats got down there around the committee boat. It's hard to figure out which boat and which mark make the finish from a distance. A different color finish mark would have been nice.

People complaining about the swim rope need to get a life. I coasted over that no problem and landed perfectly everytime. I always went out in reverse and that made it easy. If I tried to turn downwind in there without rudders and that much wind I'd have been in a lot of trouble quick. A-catters might have trouble doing reverse... I don't know?

It's a great venue and a great regatta. I thought everyone was really respectful on the beach pulling the boats up as far as possible. That was nice.

I thought the trophies were cool too. Thanks Mary.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #201436
01/27/10 01:19 PM
01/27/10 01:19 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not responding to anybody in particular -- just about the marks in general. To me it is funny that we have all gotten so spoiled about having BIG marks.

When my family was racing back in the 1940's and 1950's and 1960's, the marks were just little, skinny poles with a little tiny flag at the top. You had to be REALLY farsighted to see a mark. And that was on Lake Erie, that sometimes had big waves. And we didn't go by compass headings, either. Just spotting the mark was one of the difficult parts of the game.

I'm not saying we should do that again -- just that we are lucky to have such relatively big marks now. Most of today's sailors don't know what it was like back then.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Mary] #201444
01/27/10 02:37 PM
01/27/10 02:37 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Mary
To me it is funny that we have all gotten so spoiled about having BIG marks.

-- just that we are lucky to have such relatively big marks now. Most of today's sailors don't know what it was like back then.

HA Ha Mary. That is so true. In Toledo they used peach baskets on sticks when I started sailing. They weren't even orange. I remember when International Orange became available as a paint color. They painted the baskets and everyone thought that was so cool.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Mugrace72] #201445
01/27/10 02:50 PM
01/27/10 02:50 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
as far as the swim area rope is concerned, I can't see how it would damage a boat hull. It was pretty slimy to start with.

That, and the water was about chest deep there, so if you were really paranoid (or tangled up), you could step on the swim rope and pull the boat across. Don't ask me how I know this.... smile

Jay

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: RickWhite] #201450
01/27/10 03:55 PM
01/27/10 03:55 PM
M
maritimesailor Offline
maritimesailor  Offline
M

Hey Ricky, I'll say it again, great job all in all. I see you posted here that you will change the colors of the marks next year, can I interject and say DON'T change all the marks, just change the colors of the GATES?

You should already have a compass bearing to the windward mark (how else do you tell the mark boat to be where they are?), just post it on a board for us to see.

Thanks for listening, I think we should all take a moment to realize the RC for this event is actually looking for feedback, something that is VERY rare and should be very much appreciated.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: maritimesailor] #201451
01/27/10 04:07 PM
01/27/10 04:07 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by maritimesailor

Thanks for listening, I think we should all take a moment to realize the RC for this event is actually looking for feedback, something that is VERY rare and should be very much appreciated.

Absolutely! You ask this question at most other regattas and you'll get lamb-basted.

Jake Kohl
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: wildtsail] #201457
01/27/10 05:07 PM
01/27/10 05:07 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
Granted, the marks were 5' long, but they're only 2' in diameter. If a heavier weight were to be put directly below the mark (not the anchor), they'd stand more upright, even in a blow. I'm not saying you should run out and buy new marks.

Why couldn't we keep this positive?

Otherwise, this TW was the best I've been to, and will def. be back.

Trey
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201462
01/27/10 07:46 PM
01/27/10 07:46 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Are we supposed to get any help from anyone one on the committee boat? No offense intended, but the course is the course is the course regardless of what the chic on the bow of the committee boat (with the frothy cold mugs of sweet, sweet beer and big boobs)is pointing at.

Maybe I am wrong but the committee boat cannot offer any info while racing.(?)

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: arbo06] #201464
01/27/10 08:02 PM
01/27/10 08:02 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by arbo06
Are we supposed to get any help from anyone one on the committee boat? No offense intended, but the course is the course is the course regardless of what the chic on the bow of the committee boat (with the frothy cold mugs of sweet, sweet beer and big boobs)is pointing at.

Maybe I am wrong but the committee boat cannot offer any info while racing.(?)

Amen

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Mugrace72] #201465
01/27/10 08:31 PM
01/27/10 08:31 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Aso, I gotta tell ya, when Rick sets a course, he sets it according to the wind. He doesn't even know what the compass heading is.

And I also gotta tell ya that in all the years I have raced in small boats, I have never had a compass on the boat. And if the RC gave a compass heading, I wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

Why do you guys have to make racing more complicated than it already is?!!!

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Mary] #201469
01/27/10 11:29 PM
01/27/10 11:29 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Mary

Why do you guys have to make racing more complicated than it already is?!!!

Complication = Highly competitive.
You should win or lose on skill not a crapshoot of guessing where the mark is.Compass headings take care of that.If you don't want to carry a compass,it doesn't matter anyway.
I wasn't there(wished I had been) so flame me.
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #201483
01/28/10 07:51 AM
01/28/10 07:51 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Compass heading to the mark only helps me find it if it's really difficult to see off the start line...but if the race committee is giving it to us throughout the series, or if they're moving the course mid-race, It will be one piece of information about the trend in the wind angle.

I don't always race with a compass on lakes and closed bodies of water - but I'm starting too. It's nice to have a number for each starboard and port tack to work out the wind patterns as the racing progresses.

Jake Kohl
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Jake] #201524
01/28/10 03:35 PM
01/28/10 03:35 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Jake
I don't always race with a compass on lakes and closed bodies of water - but I'm starting too. It's nice to have a number for each starboard and port tack to work out the wind patterns as the racing progresses.

+1. I think I may pick up that little hand held bearing compass for just that purpose

Jay

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #201566
01/28/10 10:47 PM
01/28/10 10:47 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Bearings? Compasses? Angles?

Outta my skill set. I can feel my A.D.D. burning just thinking about concentrating that hard going to weather.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201573
01/29/10 06:04 AM
01/29/10 06:04 AM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
I'm pretty much with you there Karl. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I have some new stuff to focus on.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: abbman] #201585
01/29/10 09:22 AM
01/29/10 09:22 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

On last sat i did races (small mono's) and the skipper had a very nice compass mounted. We (he) started to work out the wind angles/mark settings before the race...

we never once used the compass during the 2 heats we ran (1st and 2nd) before we broke the boat! I think it would have been a distraction, but if we couldnt see the marks i bet it would have been great!

ever since we had a fog fest in Dunedin during the Hangover Regatta 2 years ago (and we had about 15 boats without the ability to see, or even really guess where land was..) i carry a small $2.00 compass with me..

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 208 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022