02/07/10 07:58 AM
02/07/10 07:58 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline OP
veteran
bvining  Offline OP
veteran

Atlanta
I just got this email from the Cuba run people.

I'm sitting here scratching my head over this, they are basically saying that they can't commit that you are even accepted to be one of the 75 racers, and that the gov't hasnt given permission to go. But go ahead and get a Visa - just in case.

Is it me or does this race seems entirely too unorganized to even consider?

Email

The Cuba Run 2010 is fast approaching so we will be starting to send out more announcements and items which will be of interest to everyone.

As everyone knows, we have allotted 75 slots for competitors boats. Because of the safety needs and intense interest of this event, we have found the need to require all persons interested in participating in The Cuba Run to complete an official "Registration Form" which will provide needed information to the Race Committee. You should expect this form to be available sometime during the next week. Note....this is in addition to any sailing resume you may have forwarded in the past.

Also, as we approach this event, we recognize that there are specific logistics which are necessary and one of them is the acquirement of a Visa to visit Cuba. As we have not yet received the proper authorization to visit and return to the US from the Treasury Department, but recognizing that the Visa approval process can take some time, we are preparing all needed information so that persons traveling with the event will be able to prepare their Visa request easily. The Visa request should be sent in just less than 6 months prior, so we will be providing this information to all potential participants during the next month. Please recognize though, that we do only have 75 slots for participants, and that securing a Visa does not officially secure you a spot on the roster.

Hotel accommodations are also in the works and you will be furnished with the necessary information shortly.

As always, should you have any comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Have a great weekend!

~~Terri

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202474
02/07/10 12:36 PM
02/07/10 12:36 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know, but if I were Castro, I would see 75 boats swooping in toward my beaches at high speed as an invasion.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: Mary] #202475
02/07/10 12:55 PM
02/07/10 12:55 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Might be time to re-read Cuba by Steven Coonts.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/B0000632J1/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Re: Cuba Run [Re: H17cat] #202484
02/07/10 02:38 PM
02/07/10 02:38 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
Hmm I was waiting for a letter basically saying the exact OPPOSITE of that to make me willing to do this race.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: wildtsail] #202489
02/07/10 04:20 PM
02/07/10 04:20 PM
Austin, TX
BoK Offline
BoK  Offline

Austin, TX
I'm sure that John Webster will get the visa situation worked out... I'm getting a new passport as we speak for this race and will be applying for a visa as soon as the instructions are posted. Have faith.

Bo Kersey
Corsair 31-1D 276
Re: Cuba Run [Re: BoK] #202490
02/07/10 04:57 PM
02/07/10 04:57 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
I agree Bo. I'll bet it gets it worked out also.

If not, oh well.

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202621
02/09/10 01:22 AM
02/09/10 01:22 AM
T
Terri Offline
stranger
Terri  Offline
stranger
T

bvining....

I am sorry that you feel that the event is unorganized. You are more than welcome to contact me directly at any time to discuss questions you have. This event is incredibly huge and takes an enormous amount of planning. John Webster has been working on this basically full time for almost a year now...as well as many other people. What other type of emails would you like to receive. Please, please contact me (512.797.4483) as I would love to visit with you regarding any concerns you may have. And regarding the 75 slot limitation...this is largely necessary because of the amount of space available on both the Florida and Cuba side for set-up, storage, and landing of boats.

It is going to be an incredible event, you won't be disappointed!

~~Terri

Terri Reuwsaat
Communications Officer, The Cuba Run 2010

Last edited by Terri; 02/09/10 01:23 AM.
Re: Cuba Run [Re: Terri] #202645
02/09/10 10:16 AM
02/09/10 10:16 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Don't sweat him Terri. He's a PUNK.
Keep at it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Cuba Run [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202650
02/09/10 11:25 AM
02/09/10 11:25 AM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

I'm excited at the prospect of this race... I hope it happens and I'm there!

Re: Cuba Run [Re: Will_R] #202696
02/09/10 04:56 PM
02/09/10 04:56 PM
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

I just spent like 25 minutes on the phone with Terri. I'm going to pass a few things on that I learned from her. Hopefully I don't get myself into trouble.

- They are handling all the logistics for Cuba. They have the hotel reserved and the beach will be guarded to protect the boats. They want to know where all the sailors are at all times.

- They will shuttle your clothes and supplies to/from Cuba.

- They're working to streamline the visa process for the race and are hoping to have a boiler plate template to make it easier on everyone.

- Customs on both sides of the race are aware of the race and provisions and procedures are already developed for when we arrive in Cuba and back in the US.

- They have sponsors and media coverage that they're working on but don't have some of it finalized and won't announce it till it is.

- Someone tried this race a couple of years ago and didn't do the proper paperwork to make it happen. They went to jail and had 10k+ in fines assessed to them. They do NOT want to have the same thing happen here. After talking to her, I'm pretty confident that they don't want any of us to go to jail so they're being careful and methodical.

She said that she knows there has not been a lot of releases or information coming out lately but they don't want to put something out there and have it change and come back to them. The way she talked, I'd expect more info to hit the street well before the race starts.

After talking to her, I'm excited at the prospect of doing this race and the organization behind it! She said if anyone has any questions, please call/email her.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: Will_R] #202697
02/09/10 05:12 PM
02/09/10 05:12 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
Terri also sent me an email asking to call her. Here's my response and I look forward to hearing hers on here.

Terri,
While I appreciate your willingness to address my concerns, I don't think it is in either of our best interests to have a private discussion. Concerns have been posted in numerous threads on catsailor and should be addressed there in an open forum. Please post your reponse there or I would be glad to.
I understand the extreme logistics involved in this race and appreciate that you do as this is going to be no small undertaking.

That being said i'll tell you my main concerns:
1) A 2 day window to sail to and from Cuba.
Your not going to get guys driving 5 (FL guys)-30 (myself and other NE's) hrs to possibly go to Cuba. And what happens when we get there and can't sail back? Committing to a 2 day window is risky with all the extreme conditions that can pop up over 90 miles of ocean sailing, not to mention the Gulf Stream.
2)75 boats is a lot of boats!
If the sh*t hits the fan your not going to have enough crash boats to support everyone. If you have several checkpoints and limit the race track to a couple mile width then it will be more managle but still i'd say you need 20+ crashboats for 75 boats. Safety wise I think you are really going to need a 3-1 ratio of crashboats to raceboats. I've been to buoys regattas where teams have been left without assitance in danger with crash boat ratios around 7-1. Not to mention I can't think of 75 teams capable of doing this sail, if you get some people not capable then your opening up a whole new can of worms.
How many crash boats do you plan to have if the planned 75 boats show up?
3)Logistics in Cuba
I know your working on the logistics involved of once we get over to Cuba and that's not nearly as much as a concern of the 2 points above.

Thanks again for your willingness to address my concerns.

Regards,
Todd

Re: Cuba Run [Re: wildtsail] #202718
02/09/10 11:34 PM
02/09/10 11:34 PM
T
Terri Offline
stranger
Terri  Offline
stranger
T

Todd....I hope this continued discussion on line will aide you as well as others to get a hold on the event. In response to your concerns....

1) A 2 day window to sail to and from Cuba. -- It could certainly be a long drive for some, but that is what some of us do to be a part of a special event. We actually have boats from out of the country wanting to be a part of this event. Myself, I have driven multiple days to be in a race and will certainly do it again. I guess that is a choice we all have to make. And you can be certain that we will be watching the weather, as will all the teams.

2)75 boats is a lot of boats! -- Very true! And that is why we are doing a lot of planning to make this work. We will only accept those teams which we believe can handle the potential conditions. Regarding the support boats, we hesitate to call them "crash" boats, but will certainly plan with the intention of making this race as safe as possible for all persons involved.

3)Logistics in Cuba -- This is continuing, as well as work on logistics in Florida.

I hope the above comments help all those involved in this event. Whether you will be an actual participant, or just supporting this event, I continue to welcome all comments and questions. We all want this to be an event to remember, in the best way possible. Thanks everyone! And thanks Will R. for a good discussion earlier in the day and for your post on this forum to pass out info. Again, my direct contact info is...treuwsaat@gmail.com or 512.797.4483.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202730
02/10/10 07:00 AM
02/10/10 07:00 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline OP
veteran
bvining  Offline OP
veteran

Atlanta
**** than the Worrell 1000, anyone remember that? Seems pretty familiar – lots of questions, few answers.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202752
02/10/10 09:13 AM
02/10/10 09:13 AM
T
Terri Offline
stranger
Terri  Offline
stranger
T

Thank you for responding Todd. I am excited about this event, and believe that it will be historical, fun, and a good adventure. I know that this event will be of the highest quality, with the participants best interest in mind. Those of you with questions, you are welcome to ask them here, or contact me. Have a great rest of the week everyone!

Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202754
02/10/10 09:27 AM
02/10/10 09:27 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
<**** than the Worrell 1000, anyone remember that? Seems pretty familiar – lots of questions, few answers.

Bill,
Sorry for the miscommunication.That wasn't for you.PM sent.
Todd R. is a PUNK! sort of a joke, but not really.
To all,
As for the race, like any race, there are risks. If you aren't willing to take those risks or have the ability to recognize them ,then this or any race is probably not for you.
Todd

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Cuba Run [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202756
02/10/10 09:55 AM
02/10/10 09:55 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline OP
veteran
bvining  Offline OP
veteran

Atlanta
I appreciate the clarification on the punk comment, thank you.

I am actually bummed out that there are so many open questions. I want to do this. My biggest issue is that they havent said who can go, so any one of us could be pyched to go and no part of the 75. And I need to plan vacations, time off, etc well in advance of Nov to make this happen.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202757
02/10/10 10:07 AM
02/10/10 10:07 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
The inaugural race of any kind is always an uncertain thing. This one having more logistics and bureaucracy than most. Knowing John and Terri , they are doing everything they can to make it happen as quickly as they can.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Cuba Run [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #202762
02/10/10 11:06 AM
02/10/10 11:06 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am wondering why the organizers think there is any chance of having even close to 75 boats WANTING to do the race, much less QUALIFIED.

Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202777
02/10/10 12:44 PM
02/10/10 12:44 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
How are they going to vet the 75? What if only 50 teams sign up, doesn’t that mean everyone goes? Or are they going to have some sort of experience level to qualify? What about catamaran experience?

That question will soon be answered. Teams will be evaluated based on experience. You can bet that a team with NO open ocean experience will not be allowed.

Does the H20 get abandoned?

You can't right a Hobie 20? If YOU can't, then yes, you should stay home.

Can I ship spare parts with my clothes? I’m betting not.

Seriously dude, I'm sure some provisions will be made.

Weather window? No wiggle room on when you leave and when you come back? Terri’s answer is lame, this isn’t any ordinary race,

I will kindly ask you to back off the personal attacks on Terri. Details are being worked out as we speak. Suck yer chest back in and take a breath.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Cuba Run [Re: bvining] #202792
02/10/10 03:18 PM
02/10/10 03:18 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by bvining
Are you sure insurance is going to cover that?

That's easy - NO.

Off the top of my head...

Most (if not all) of the policies carriers issue to beachcats include COASTAL navigation areas only. If you want to add offshore navigation (carribean, bahamas, etc.) the cost goes up (if they don't drop your coverage altogether). Now, if you happen to mention CUBA, well, you pretty much better be prepared to "do some 'splainin, Lucy"

I don't think any beachcat is currently certified to offshore classification, which would further complicate your coverage dilema. I mean, really, who would insure an offshore boat that wasn't considered 'seaworthy' in those conditions?

And your sailing crew? Injuries probably would end up in some sort of Jones Act provision
So, figure on chalking up any damage/injury to your own bank account.

And the prior question about having 75 teams that want to go... I would guess that there would be MORE than 75 teams who would want to go. Those with offshore beachcat experience? Not so many (is T-500 considered "offshore"?)

Did they open this up to the Trimaran classes? It might be nice to run across in one of those... they seem a bit "safer" in that they may not flip quite as easily and there is a modicum of shelter...

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 02/10/10 03:22 PM.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 164 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022