02/13/10 05:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
MUST429 Offline
enthusiast
MUST429  Offline
enthusiast

Lakewood, Colorado
Originally Posted by Keith
10 race scenario - my guess is that after a couple of races the A5 crew would be more in tune with the boat and things would even out a bit, with the overall advantage over 10 still to BOR.

Two considerations,

First, How long do you think it would take to get in a 10 race series?
Given that it took a week to get off just one race, that might be a three month proposition.

Second, do you think either one or both of those boats really has TEN races of durability built in to them ?
I don't.

Just something to think about.

It WAS fun to watch, and I am really looking forward to seeing them match up on a reaching leg.

Stephen

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Re: America's Cup Countdown [Re: Luiz] #203262
02/13/10 05:51 PM
02/13/10 05:51 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Originally Posted by Luiz

I guess technically when either one is riding on one hull they're a mono...

I was also noticing on the replay that A pitches a lot more in the waves upwind - I hadn't noticed it as much watching live. There was a definite contrast to BOR being more steady and A pitching.

So, my new winter project - canting wing sail and banana boards on my F-27...

Can't wait to watch tomorrow...

On one hull they are monos... but for ballast, stability, hull shape, drag, speed, etc.

The pitching difference relates to Alinghi having bow overhangs to measure at 90 ft LWL, while BMWO's floats are free from measurement restrictions, the boat resting on the mainhull for measurement. BMWO is better balanced. It also relates to the inclination of B's amas, as I posted before in this same thread.

Also dreaming of a wing and curved board, but already have a cascading system for canting.

Yes, the overhangs of A5 give a keel shape that would seem to not counteract pitching, essentially adding rocker forward. My 6.0 does the same thing (deck is flat, but the keel actually has decent amount of rocker). They had used S boards before I believe. As for BOR, I would characterize the amas more by the profile given by their keels, stems, and decks - that's what gives the characteristics. Saying that they are inclined gives words to the eye cues, but it's not that the designers said "hey, let's just take the amas we have and point the noses down", then again, maybe they did... Either way, the amas have buoyancy forward and low, and the boards are helping provide more. In the end we're saying the same thing differently. A5 pitches, BOR does not.

Canting system looks good, I'm stuck in the real old school with a non-rotating fixed spar. Maybe that's my first step...

Re: America's Cup Countdown [Re: MUST429] #203263
02/13/10 05:53 PM
02/13/10 05:53 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Originally Posted by MUST429
10 race scenario - my guess is that after a couple of races the A5 crew would be more in tune with the boat and things would even out a bit, with the overall advantage over 10 still to BOR.

Two considerations,

Given that it took a week to get off just one race, that might be a three month proposition.

Second, do you think either one or both of those boats really has TEN races of durability built in to them ?
I don't.

It WAS fun to watch, and I am really looking forward to seeing them match up on a reaching leg.

Stephen

All those things you state be true. I was just responding to the posed 10 race question somebody else had.

Re: America's Cup Countdown [Re: TheManShed] #203264
02/13/10 05:57 PM
02/13/10 05:57 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Originally Posted by TheManShed
Was A5 pitching more from the water ballast? Once they blew the water out it seemed to handle better.

Hmmm, don't remember. It was after the first tack about 2/3 of the way to the second tack upwind. It was most obvious from shots from the lee of A5 that showed both boats. It wasn't out of control type pitching, but it seemed more than BOR was experiencing.

Re: America's Cup Countdown [Re: MUST429] #203270
02/13/10 06:39 PM
02/13/10 06:39 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by MUST429

Two considerations,

I don't.

Stephen

I do think they have plenty in them. the BMWO platform has been in existence for three years and gone out and sailed 200 mile days regularly during that time. The wing has actually proven to be quite reliable although it's would certainly require some maintenance here and there.

I think we'll be a little surprised with these boats. Expect some speed trials and testing after the matches are done

Jake Kohl
Re: America's Cup Countdown [Re: Karl_Brogger] #203276
02/13/10 07:05 PM
02/13/10 07:05 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
What time tomorrow?

Not before 12:00 CET today.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022