A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by mbounds
[
However, downwind boat is in the middle of a jibe which would make him the GW boat.

GW boat?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: safe sailing [Re: ] #208592
04/16/10 07:59 AM
04/16/10 07:59 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Give way

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208594
04/16/10 08:04 AM
04/16/10 08:04 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

gotcha, cheers

Re: safe sailing [Re: ] #208595
04/16/10 08:15 AM
04/16/10 08:15 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
See? That's the problem right here, how is a spin boat running on the very edge of control supposed to "Give Way" to -anybody- but King Neptune?

This is why I say, let the guy without the spin get out of the way, it's much easier for him to manuever and he's got all options available. The Spin boat has only two options when the puff from hell comes on: Crash or save it, but while trying to avoid the leeward boat, he's going to crash, and might even crash into the leeward boat.

Like I said earlier, these rules were written long before the faster asymetric spin boats were ever developed. It's just a matter of time until someone get's "poled".

Blade F16
Re: safe sailing [Re: Timbo] #208596
04/16/10 08:30 AM
04/16/10 08:30 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
If your not in control you shouldn't be helming a boat,PERIOD.
If being out of control is part of your plan of attack than you need practice and maybe turn it down a notch.Generally, ragged edge of control is not fast.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: safe sailing [Re: Timbo] #208597
04/16/10 08:32 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Now that is an interesting picture .....

What tack is the windward spinnacker boat on????

The spinnacker indicates a port tack ..... but the boom is on Starboard tack ........?????

The leaward boat is definately on port tack ......

Eric ..... help????

What tack is a boat on when sailing downwind "wing and wing" mode .... what is the major determining factor .... the mainsail/boom?????

Note, as leaward boat I'm just going to stay out of the way ......

Harry

Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208598
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Give way

Or is that weigh?
Matt? laugh

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: safe sailing [Re: HMurphey] #208599
04/16/10 08:34 AM
04/16/10 08:34 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by HMurphey

The spinnacker indicates a port tack ..... but the boom is on Starboard tack ........?????

Eric ..... help????

What tack is a boat on when sailing downwind "wing and wing" mode .... what is the major determining factor .... the mainsail/boom?????

Harry

It's the boom,even though that one is not gonna be there very much longer.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208604
04/16/10 08:56 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
I also believe it's the mainsail/boom .....

...so therefore this is a Port-Starboard crossing currently .... not a windward-leaward crossing ... I do believe .....

You know that a camera's lens can really shorten distances .... when the boom comes onto port the spin boat will no longer be the RoW vessel, but will turn more to port and pass clear ahead of the leaward boat on port ..... It looks like the windward boat is trying to clear their downwind "bear-off/escape" lane ... while the spin boat had starb rights I think they were worried about trying to bear-off in a puff .... even when on Starboard you can not make any radical changes in course that can not be anticipated by a GW/Burdon Vessel .....

Harry

Re: safe sailing [Re: pgp] #208605
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Before I begin, let me be perfectly clear that I am not singling out anybody in particular and I'm not trying to attack anyone, but I'm about to express an opinion that some may not like.

I don't want to believe it, and I'm not happy to say so, but it seems to me that people are trying to excuse poor seamanship by blaming the rules. The argument goes "I can't see other boats, and I can't control mine, so other people should be obligated to avoid me". The fact of the matter is that ALL boats, whether they have right-of-way or not, must avoid contact if reasonably possible. That means everybody must watch out for other boats, and maneuver safely when boats meet.

Let's face it. If you cannot keep a good lookout, or you cannot control your boat, then YOU are the safety problem. No amount of rule changes can correct that.

Regretfully,
Eric

Re: safe sailing [Re: Isotope235] #208607
04/16/10 09:06 AM
04/16/10 09:06 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Eric, I respect your opinion, even more so, your right to express it.

In the future, I will not participate in regattas where non spin boats are on the same course with spin boats. Those of us with spinnakers understand the situation, those without do not.

Cheers.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: safe sailing [Re: pgp] #208610
04/16/10 09:13 AM
04/16/10 09:13 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by pgp
Eric, I respect your opinion, even more so, your right to express it.

In the future, I will not participate in regattas where non spin boats are on the same course with spin boats. Those of us with spinnakers understand the situation, those without do not.

Cheers.

That's the most ridiculous generalization I've heard in a long time.

My primary racing is done in non-spin boats (Hobie 14, 16, 17). However, I've owned an F18 and I know what it's like to drive one downwind in a regatta - with non-spin boats on the same course.

Re: safe sailing [Re: mbounds] #208613
04/16/10 09:17 AM
04/16/10 09:17 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

To each his own.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208614
04/16/10 09:18 AM
04/16/10 09:18 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by HMurphey

Eric ..... help????

Harry

It's the boom,even though that one is not gonna be there very much longer.

From the definitions in the RRS:
Tack, Starboard or Port A boat is on the tack, starboard or port, corresponding to her windward side.

And
Leeward and Windward A boat’s leeward side is the side that is or, when she is head to wind, was away from the wind. However, when sailing by the lee or directly downwind, her leeward side is the side on which her mainsail lies. The other side is her windward side. When two boats on the same tack overlap, the one on the leeward side of the other is the leeward boat. The other is the windward boat.

So technically, it's not the boom that makes the difference, it's the sail. Important only on boomless boats - like the Hobie Wave.

Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208615
04/16/10 09:20 AM
04/16/10 09:20 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
If your not in control you shouldn't be helming a boat,PERIOD.
If being out of control is part of your plan of attack than you need practice and maybe turn it down a notch.Generally, ragged edge of control is not fast.

Man, it must feel great to be -so good- that you never once, never in your life, had a rudder stall out when trying to gybe in a hellacious puff...

Wow, I can only hope to be that good someday. Until then I guess I'd better stay on shore any time the wind comes up or is forecast to come up...

Blade F16
Re: safe sailing [Re: Isotope235] #208623
04/16/10 09:33 AM
04/16/10 09:33 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Isotope42
Before I begin, let me be perfectly clear that I am not singling out anybody in particular and I'm not trying to attack anyone, but I'm about to express an opinion that some may not like.

I don't want to believe it, and I'm not happy to say so, but it seems to me that people are trying to excuse poor seamanship by blaming the rules. The argument goes "I can't see other boats, and I can't control mine, so other people should be obligated to avoid me". The fact of the matter is that ALL boats, whether they have right-of-way or not, must avoid contact if reasonably possible. That means everybody must watch out for other boats, and maneuver safely when boats meet.

Let's face it. If you cannot keep a good lookout, or you cannot control your boat, then YOU are the safety problem. No amount of rule changes can correct that.

Regretfully,
Eric

Eric, thank you for saying what many of us are thinking.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: safe sailing [Re: mbounds] #208625
04/16/10 09:36 AM
04/16/10 09:36 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Ya Matt ... I anticipate that Pete is going to be spending sometime in the "Protest Room" ..... I generally sail Non-spin also and DO UNDERSTAND .... I do still carry a protest flag (and have a very loud voice/hail).....

And if I see/know that someone is continuely operating/competing in a unsafe manor I will be giving them very little slack ....

ie: I do not tolerate having my (or anyone elses) safety infringed upon by someone else just for their fun ...

Harry

Re: safe sailing [Re: Timbo] #208627
04/16/10 09:41 AM
04/16/10 09:41 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I didn't say it never happens, but to want to change the rules because it's such a common occurence ,is a problem.The discussion was also about seeing other boats not rudders blowing out. The whole premise of this thread astounds me.

Read that quote, I'm saying the exact same thing just not as PC correct,But those that know me know that's not my strong point. Accidents happen,if a rudder blows out and you hit another boat that is an anomaly not an occurrence that demands a rule change. If you aren't keeping a proper watch and you hit another boat, that is poor seamanship. there's a big difference.
Also I have sailed a spin rigged cat for 15 years, and do not agree with the forementioned generalization.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208628
04/16/10 09:42 AM
04/16/10 09:42 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

For the record, I've never hit another boat, never been protested.

However, I was almost run down by a spin boat and had to scramble to prevent the collision. The offender was an internationally known sailor.

Ding, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

You guys just don't get it. The game has changed; for the most
part you guys are sailing twenty year old technology. The rules need to keep pace with progress.

It's about safety, not about being "dead right".

Last edited by pgp; 04/16/10 09:49 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: safe sailing [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #208630
04/16/10 09:48 AM
04/16/10 09:48 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
It must be nice to live in that perfect world where nothing ever goes wrong while sailing...ever. This thread is about SAFETY while sailing, and the inference that with the advent of the modern spin. cat the rules might need to be looked at.

And we have a guy who's never even sailed a modern spin cat, let alone driven one downwind in 20 knots with boats coming upwind, calling us who do, Unsafe?

I'm saying, it's going to happen [a collision] no matter how much you "protect" your escape lane, as if you can even do that when some upwind coming boat suddenly tacks into your escape lane...what's the plan now Olley? Douse the spin, get by him, then reset it??

I've never hit anyone either but I won't say I never will...it would not be intentional but it could happen, so I guess I'd better take up Chess, since I'm the problem.

Blade F16
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022