Best spinnaker halyard line material?
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman. 03/31/24 10:31 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Moving to Hawaii & can't find much about cat sailing there.. [Re: Steve Slagle] #229966
03/20/11 01:30 AM
03/20/11 01:30 AM
Kauai, Hawaii
BeachTracks Offline
stranger
BeachTracks  Offline
stranger

Kauai, Hawaii
PS: Did you bring your Nacra?

I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!
- Steve Dallas, Billy and the Boingers
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Moving to Hawaii & can't find much about cat sailing there.. [Re: BeachTracks] #229989
03/21/11 05:46 AM
03/21/11 05:46 AM
New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Steve Slagle Offline OP
stranger
Steve Slagle  Offline OP
stranger

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Aloha Beach Tracks, or "Bill the Cat",

Yes I did bring my Nacra 5.5U (convertible to 11' wide 18Sq meter) along with a reacher and a slightly smaller monohull "blade jib" for a higher wind reacher. I did not bring a trailer, and will be looking for one. I will also be updating my mainsail, if I enjoy sailing here as much as I expect to.

I started sailing on a P16 in 1982, and the majority of my sailing happened in the 7 yrs I had that boat. I probably remember some about the Prindle 16, and maybe several P16 sailing lies, errr, stories that sailors like to tell.

I live in Kekaha, so I'm as far for Hanalei as you can be on Kauai. I've seen the cats on the beach at the Marriot, but never anyone out sailing one. Someone has just started sailing a Hobie Wave off Kekaha in the last 3 weeks. I guess I will need to touch base with the North Shore Yacht Club this summer.

Glad you responded to my old thread with the first sign of hope for some interaction with another cat sailor. Let me know where you are sailing and maybe I will get my old cat up and running to join you.
Mahalo!

Re: Moving to Hawaii & can't find much about cat sailing there.. [Re: Steve Slagle] #230103
03/22/11 12:30 PM
03/22/11 12:30 PM
Kauai, Hawaii
BeachTracks Offline
stranger
BeachTracks  Offline
stranger

Kauai, Hawaii
Aloha Steve,

Great to hear back from you! Also left you a PM with more detail the other day.

Don't let the distance to Hanalei stop you. That's a great bay and very forgiving, especially for a novice like me. I expect this summer the choicest offshore waters will be all along the north shore.

I actually bought my boat in Kekaha from a guy who had collected parts for it but not done the work. His wife made him get it out of the driveway. Came with a homemade but nice trailer that I had to wire and make legal, register, etc.

The official yacht club on the island is Nawiliwili Yacht Club, or NYC: http://www.nawiliwiliyachtclub.org/. Roger, the guy on the left in the 2nd photo is a friend who also used to own a P16 and told me he'd give me a lesson or two, but he's pretty busy most of the time. Owns a quarter share in a larger boat and does the weekly races out of Nawiliwili. I think he told me they used to have a fleet of Prindles and would race them from Nawiliwili to Hanalei once a year or so. I can see a circumnavigation in the future--around the island, not the world...

So let's stay in touch (my email is in the PM I left you). There's always a chance of sailing in the Port Allen to Kikiaola area--both have launch ramps. Not exactly pristine waters, though. Murky due to outflow from Waimea River. Also, if I can help with trailer support before you find one, I will. Don't think mine would hold anything 11 feet wide, though. Hull cradles are pretty much permanently set for the Prindle, more like 8 feet wide. A couple of well-placed 12' 2x4s and enough tie down straps might do it, though...

Dave, a.k.a BeachTracks

I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!
- Steve Dallas, Billy and the Boingers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 670 guests, and 125 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022