06/22/11 08:46 AM
Busan, South
busaninter20 Offline OP
stranger
busaninter20  Offline OP
stranger

Busan, South
Hi all!

Been poking around the forum for a while now picking bits up and the time has come to take the plunge and get me a cat!

I am new to cats but have got a little sailing experience but want join the big boys and the fast cats cool

Here in Busan, South Korea there are not many options for someone in my position. There are a few picos and omegas in the marina school and local club, but there are only 4 cats (2 nacras and 2 hobie 16s). One of the Nacras has come up for sale as the guy who owns it hasnt sailed it since he bought it and is leaving the country in feb.

It is a '98 nacra inter 20 and from what i can gather from the owner who bought this cat 1.5 years ago and has not sailed it since he took it out with the last owner, is that 'some things' might need replacing. He doesnt know how to sail it or even set it up properly and i am still novice with cats.

So my question to you is what would probably need replacing? It has been sitting outside with a cover on for a while now, I presume the 1.5 years he has had it.

I presume all standing rigging and lines would need replacing to be on the safe side. How much would this cost? Where could I source this from? The trampoline looks good, no tears or fraying. Not seen the sails on the boat, but had them out and had a quick look at them, they are old and will need replacing next year maybe, if needed how much is it to replace the sails ( i dont need race standard sails, just recreational use). I did notice the spinnaker pole had been repaired at some stage and all the lines were running outside instead of inside of it. How much is that to replace?

the boat itself is in good condition not cracks and damage, just needs cleaning and a bit of TLC, it has got a set of beach wheels and a cover on it.

He is asking 5.5 million won for it (which is about 5,000 USD), does it seem worth it?

As I said here in ROK there are not many options and pretty much everything that is not korean made has a premium attached to it!! mad

ANY advice would be REALLY appreciated at this point ...

Sorry for all the newbie questions!!

cheers in advance,

dazed and confused in Busan!

.....'it all comes down to how you deal with the [censored] thats thrown at you' - Anon.

--Advertisement--
Re: intros and advice on an I-20 [Re: busaninter20] #233955
06/22/11 09:02 PM
06/22/11 09:02 PM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
So, if you don’t buy it, who will. Sounds to me like you will soon have the guy over a barrel unless he takes it with him. Make him a low deal and use him as your crew till he leaves. He gets to sail, you get a boat at a good price and a crew. At that price it is not a great deal unless there is another guy that wants to buy it. Look on this site and beachcats, you might find your sails. Be patient. Welcome to Cat sailing. You wont regret it if you stay with it. Remember that its OK to have the pointy side down once in a while when you are learning. And when you are very experienced.

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: intros and advice on an I-20 [Re: busaninter20] #233956
06/22/11 09:06 PM
06/22/11 09:06 PM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
Wow, I just looked on this site at the classifieds, you can get all three sails for under $1000, and youll beat anyone in korea! That makes the boat a great deal.

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 245 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022