06/25/01 07:15 PM
06/25/01 07:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Speaking of starting things. Why is it I cannot find a Hobie dealer on the Chesapeake.The locals self promote the area as the sailing capital of the world (annapolis and the chesapeake). I do not have the time to go to northern Va. to buy stuff and they might not have it anyway. Where is the area support for our boats? If the various associations want to promote this brand why are no shops to see the boats? people are not going to bother driving 1.5 hours just to look. What are the thoughts?<br><br>

Attached Files
228- (109 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Area dealer support #231
06/25/01 10:11 PM
06/25/01 10:11 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Interesting, isn't it? It's the sailing capitol of the world as long as your boat only has one hull. Dinghies and keelboats are what's up around here. The only dealership that had Hobie parts in Annapolis pulled them all and moved them to the Va location you mentioned. It was pretty painful dealing with either location, nothing useful was ever in stock and special order was excruciating - it always seemed that everything was always on back order. But, enough rant. I've found that there are dealers in other areas that are more than willing to take up the slack with service and a kind word. Mail order from these places is often quicker and more satisfying than trying to go over the shelve around here. Not to run afoul of the Ad Police, some of my favorites are Murrays, Sail and Ski connection (Myrtle Beach, SC), Performance Sail and Sport (Melbourne, FL), and Sailing Pro Shop. Ocean City has a Performance dealership, but that's a drive too. Fortunately, a lot of the nuts and bolts type stuff is available at the local stores - just don't expect to much from the help with cat info. Annapolis Performance Sailing is helpful, but again their forte is dinghies.<br><br>Keith Chapman, Annapolis, Md.
<br>H-18
<br>Northstar 500 (monoslug)
<br>WRCRA - www.wrcra.org

Re: Area dealer support [Re: Keith] #232
06/26/01 06:39 PM
06/26/01 06:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Just what i am talking about. About 7 years ago I thought I would try to order some Hobie stuff from them. It was a total disaster, I now refuse to purchase any parts from them. But this is exactly what I am talking about. When it comes time for me to buy a new boat where will I go? I do not have the time or resources to travel interstate just to look about a new boat. Spending that kind of money I like to see a product before I buy. I am sure that I am not the only local sailor with this POV.
<br> I have dealt with Murray's and Small Craft and both are excellent. I have had no problems at all and recommend them whenever I have the opportunity. Plus, I have a great HDWR. store.
<br> But suppose I just want a Hobie hat or shirt without having to go through mail order.<br><br>

Attached Files
265- (122 downloads)
Re: Area dealer support #233
06/27/01 06:25 AM
06/27/01 06:25 AM
Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
T
Tom Korz Offline
addict
Tom Korz  Offline
addict
T

Syracuse, NY Hobie Fleet 204
Dave,
<br>I know that this is a problem down there. This may be of no help, but, if you are forced into mail-order or a long distance buying senario, Rob Jerry and Boatworks from Syracuce are EXCEPTIONAL!!! They will bend over backwards to take care of whatever you may need. They are one of the largest Hobie dealers in the US.<br><br>

Re: Area dealer support #234
06/27/01 07:16 AM
06/27/01 07:16 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
It is a hassle because, if you're like me, you get pleasure and inspiration from walking around in boat stores. And catamaran boat stores are even better! My wife probably thinks it's better that there is not a local cat-store... But, I've resigned myself somewhat to the situation, and I make sure that I look for stores when I travel, and visit the ones I know about. Exposure to different models can be gotten through open class racing, local fleets, and local sailors. I figure if I find myself in the position to get a new boat from a dealer I'll make a trip to the guys that have been helping me all along (if it's their brand). Besides, maybe it's a good extra incentive to take a vacation!<br><br>Keith Chapman, Annapolis, Md.
<br>H-18
<br>Northstar 500 (monoslug)
<br>WRCRA - www.wrcra.org

Attached Files
283- (124 downloads)
Re: Area dealer support #235
07/10/01 11:54 PM
07/10/01 11:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ditto on the boatworks up in syracuse, ny. i live in binghamton, an hour away, and these guys are great.<br><br>

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022