08/26/03 10:58 AM
08/26/03 10:58 AM
Farmington, Utah
thouse Offline OP
journeyman
thouse  Offline OP
journeyman

Farmington, Utah
Well, I can't believe it happened again.

There I was, minding my own business after moooring my Stiletto 27 and then dragging my Walker Bay 8 dingy up on the beach, some ten feet or so from the water.

What could happen to my Cruise and Carry equiped Walker Bay?

This is a lake, after all...and the sun was shining ...so I took a few minutes to get out of the sun and get something cold to drink from the house.

Next thing I know a thunder shower comes up over the mountain, blowing like the dickens.

Not to worry, I'm in the house, enjoying the antics of folks scrambling to get off the lake and let the thunder and lightning pass....well, all except one lunk-head, who powered up his open bow speed boat and went
out into the middle of the lake...during the height of the horrific storm.

I thought to myself, what a dummy.

After the thunder shower passed, I strolled back to the water's edge, to fid some one had stolen my Walker Bay tender and my Cruise and Carry outboard motor....!

Boy was I fit to be tied.

Now I could understand this some where else, but in front of my house....in Utah...(OK, Idaho...to be exact.)

I decided to walk the beach and see if I could still spot it....and my efforts were rewarded.

There it was, tied up to another guys dock that was on dry ground, up some ten feet or some from the water.

As I approached to give him "what-for", he started the conversation, telling me the storm surge had captured my Walker Bay and he couldn't get to it until it was well into the middle of the lake....risking life, limb and boat.

He said, when he finally caught up with it, it was beating around so bad in the wind and waves, all he saw was a bungy cord leading off the boat's transom. When he pulled on the bungy, he found the motor mount had broken at the lift pivot and the bungy had caught on the edge of the
motor's plastic cowling.

I thanked him for his heroic efforts and selfless generosity. I also learned a couple of morals from this experience:

1. Don't rush to judgement when you see some lunk-head blasting through waves, wind and storm...thinking he's a typical mindless dummy in a power boat.... he could be attempting to save your boat.

2. Don't bother to tune up your outboard motor, each season.... just wash it out thoroughly in lake water, at least once each season and call it good... I've (inadvertantly, done this for the past two seasons, running...and the motor starts first pull every time...runs smooth and reliably...

Oh ya, and 3. Viva La bungies....!

I may even add a number 4: Pull your dingy WAY UP on the beach...even in good weather and make sure you tie it to something solid...like an anchor. (No wonder why they make those things, right..?)

On a different note....I'm solidifying a Mexico trip and some dates....

It looks like I will leave Utah on October 9 and arrive in San Carlos, Mexico the afternoon of October 10th. (San Carlos is a wonderful place, on the Sea of Cortez, some 4 hours south of Nogales, Arizona. We will sail the Stiletto and carry the Cruise and Carry equiped Walker Bay dingy.

From San Carlos, we will sail, camp, snorkel, dive and generally goof off as we make our towards Martini Cove, Lalo's Cove, San Pedro Bay, San Pedro Island, Hemilia Bay,
Kino and the Island of Tibaron. We may get a bit further before we return sail back to San Carlos to sail in the multi-hull regatta/race from San Carlos around San Pedro Island and then on to the raft up and dinner in
Martin cove. We will be back in Salt Lake City by October 19.

Any of you guys interested in dragging your cat to Mexico for some fun in the tropical sun, beach camping, sailing, snorkeling, diving, and what ever...????

--Advertisement--
Re: Lessons learned and How 'bout sailing Mexico...??? [Re: thouse] #23638
08/27/03 04:43 PM
08/27/03 04:43 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Yep those anchors are something else. You could also try one of those screw type anchors you get from a hardware store. Screw it into the sand/dirt etc on shore and tie off to it. More secure than an anchor dropped on the ground. Though the anchor is quicker for overnight spots.

The mexico trip sounds great. I'm having a tough time getting my boat over to the florida panhandle. Santa Rosa sound is great, clear water, gulf breeze, smooth sailing. There was a Stiletto cruise/race last year in November and probably again this year, about 50 miles one way. I'll do it eventually, sail from Mississippi to Florida (about 100 miles) then sail on to Ft Walton area (another 50 miles) then the race/cruise back (another 50) then back to Ms. another 100. Take in a Blue angels show from the water in Pensacola, plus pulling up to Juanna's for a drink in Navarre beach... Ahhhhh thats the life. Well back to reality, but it'll happen.

Have fun,

Clayton D.
S27 Tout de Suite

Bear Lake storms [Re: thouse] #23639
09/02/03 06:23 PM
09/02/03 06:23 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Hi Tom,

I know all about those Bear Lake storms--still have the sand in my teeth and in my knotmeter. I spent 2 weeks there this summer and, based on directions from my uncle, Jim Smith, stopped by your place but missed you. I did see your nice collection of beachcats (is that a supercat 17?) and the big cat at anchor. Hope to catch you next year.

Rgrds,

Eric

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 253 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022