Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline OP
addict
jkkartz1  Offline OP
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
on their great finishes at The Mug Race.

Dave Carlson placed 4th overall and 1st in class

Dave Ingram places 5th overall and 3rd in class.

And another 1 & 1 for the Roberts clan.

http://www.rudderclub.com/2012MugRaceResultsbyTime.pdf

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #247994
05/09/12 09:12 AM
05/09/12 09:12 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by jkkartz1

It was a brutal trip but the cream always rises...

Congrats to everyone who makes this EPIC VOYAGE every year.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #247997
05/09/12 09:46 AM
05/09/12 09:46 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Kudos to the Rudder Club and Palatka Yacht Club they really stepped up their game this year. We had a festival/party in the boat park Friday evening with a live band, oysters and of course beer. They also had a small warm up race Friday afternoon which we plan to do next year. Plus Beef-o-Bradies has the restaurant contract with the host hotel so the food is a bit better. Clearly the city of Palatka is behind this event and it really showed, what a difference.

It's easy to hate this race because it's always a light air affair but the host clubs do everything they can to make it worth your while. Trust me when I tell you that the post race stories can be just as entertaining if not more so than if we had wind.

The best part of this race was chatting up with friends I hadn't seen in a year, as well as those I see all the time.

I did find out this year that Gina McDonald can talk some trash and her timing is perfect. Ten minutes before we splash the boat she walks over and pats me on the back and all I heard in my head was 'Awe sweety, it's too bad we're going to kick your a$$'. The woman is brilliant!

Just remember to bring your good karma, this is one race where it's better to be lucky than good.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mugrace72] #248015
05/09/12 01:16 PM
05/09/12 01:16 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by Mugrace72
Originally Posted by jkkartz1

It was a brutal trip but the cream always rises...

Congrats to everyone who makes this EPIC VOYAGE every year.

I puked in my mouth a little bit just now.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248016
05/09/12 01:58 PM
05/09/12 01:58 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by DUH

I puked in my mouth a little bit just now.

What's on your mind JC?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248022
05/09/12 04:32 PM
05/09/12 04:32 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

Let's just let it rip a little bit.

Carlson ran a Catnip rating with carbon rudders, daggers, A-cat carbon mast and spin, only taking a hit for the spin. That's not very sportsman I think. That is a call-out to the polka-dot.

The 30 is nothing like it began in existence, adding a carbon rig, square top main, an upwind A sail and a spin that is 24 square meters (258 sq feet) larger than original, totaling 78 sq meters (839 sq ft) . The F18 spin is only 21 sq meters. Of course, it's the only boat with an 'all sails' DPN rating, which was quickly expressed to me by a very kind (I'm serious) Roberts gent after said race. What is 'all sails' exactly? and how can any boat have that kind of rating? (Again, I'm serious) They did sail the 30 well. I know that. However, again that is a reason for the DPN to drop. Look at all the classes with top sailors on board and what happens to the DPN. Is the the boat? The sailors? The football field of sail? The only thing that matters is time on distance. Period. Oh, and they add racks to the boat sometimes too. I forgot about that.

And you, Dave, sailed a completely stock F18. Shame on you! Heavy none the less.

We did add curved foils to the M20. Other than that we were stock. There is no current adjustment for that at the moment.

Every time I call the sailors to task on their ratings circumnavigation I get the same answer, "Well until they tell me I can't do it...." I'm not sure exactly who 'they' is, but I thought 'they' was us, the sailors, who approach this sport in a gentlemanly way and respect their fellow competitors. Damn am I wrong about that one.

The fact is, nobody thinks they have a chance to beat the 30 without doing something drastic, which is why I saw more frankenboats than a bad episode of Mystery Science Theater last weekend. In the face of staggering odds, the human mind will stop at nothing to succeed, especially when it can add some carbon bits to a bent popsicle. Then, when one fails they go find something else to do, like the 200 competitors that didn't show up last weekend.

Did I think we had a chance? Yes. However, if it wasn't pursuit style, the Antrim 27 would have taken all the marbles. Hats off to them for sure.

So I came to the conclusion that this race is going to slowly decay to the point of a club race (Rudder Club that is) unless it is evened out somehow. For sure, something has to be done to make the common man feel he has a chance if he sails splended.

Is this sour grapes? I do really hate to lose. But I only like to win when I have done my best to play a fair game and execute the game plan to the best of my abilities.

Is that what you were looking for Dave?

Last edited by DUH; 05/09/12 04:38 PM.
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248023
05/09/12 04:53 PM
05/09/12 04:53 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by DUH

Carlson ran a Catnip rating with carbon rudders, daggers, A-cat carbon mast and spin, only taking a hit for the spin. That's not very sportsman I think. That is a call-out to the polka-dot.

Good call out John mad

The 30 is nothing like it began in existence, adding a carbon rig, square top main, an upwind A sail and a spin that is 24 square meters (258 sq feet) larger than original, totaling 78 sq meters (839 sq ft) . The F18 spin is only 21 sq meters. Of course, it's the only boat with an 'all sails' DPN rating, which was quickly expressed to me by a very kind (I'm serious) Roberts gent after said race. What is 'all sails' exactly? and how can any boat have that kind of rating? (Again, I'm serious) They did sail the 30 well. I know that. However, again that is a reason for the DPN to drop. Look at all the classes with top sailors on board and what happens to the DPN. Is the the boat? The sailors? The football field of sail? The only thing that matters is time on distance. Period. Oh, and they add racks to the boat sometimes too. I forgot about that.

I wish I had said that smirk

Needed to be said.

Thanks for talking to me after the race, John. Sorry I didn't recognize you. cool

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248031
05/09/12 08:33 PM
05/09/12 08:33 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by DUH

Same game got played with the 27, 22, and 20. Seems to be a dishonorable trend going on with him.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248036
05/09/12 09:46 PM
05/09/12 09:46 PM
A
alsail Offline
alsail  Offline
A

That is why one and only one of the 20's fit under the cardsound bridge I belive they other lost something very vital like a mast he he he ! ! ! ! !
that would be steaple chase I belive......

Last edited by alsail; 05/09/12 09:50 PM.
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248038
05/09/12 09:47 PM
05/09/12 09:47 PM
A
alsail Offline
alsail  Offline
A

And they both went under the same section of bridge one right after the other follow the leader with out thinking ops ! ! !

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248045
05/10/12 06:13 AM
05/10/12 06:13 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Wait, the boat gets the same rating no matter how much cloth it sticks up in the air?

How the hell is that not dirty cheating?

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ThunderMuffin] #248047
05/10/12 06:52 AM
05/10/12 06:52 AM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by Undecided
Wait, the boat gets the same rating no matter how much cloth it sticks up in the air?

How the hell is that not dirty cheating?

2 FAIR SAILING

A boat and her owner shall compete in compliance with recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A boat may be penalized under this rule only if it is clearly established that these principles have been violated. A disqualification under this rule shall not be excluded from the boat’s series score.

USA 777
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248052
05/10/12 08:03 AM
05/10/12 08:03 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by DUH

It was John, and good on you for having a fairly balanced post.

The bottom line is, it is up to us to file a protest if we feel a competitor is breaking a rule. The RC 30 issue is known by those that are interested and it always taints their accomplishments. As for Dave, same deal.

The protest is fairly easy to write up and submit but clearly nobody wants to be the dick. Five years ago this crap would have driven me up the freaking wall but I've made my peace with handicap racing and have accepted it for what is which is nothing more than a loose approximation of where we finished. Those that have more invested in handicap racing need to pick up the ball and do what they think is necessary. Clearly talking to the offenders face to face is not having the desired results.

As for the RC-30 all sails rating, this is pretty much the same thing as what is done for the big tri's. The idea is you're rated for your biggest sail plan then you can carry anything you want below that. Another point regarding the spin and DPN, there is no size limit for the spin hit, so that may be a soft argument in the protest. Anyone can carry any size head sail for the .96 hit and I suspect the RC30 number was created with this in mind. If the RC isn't taking a hit for the carbon stick, square top and racks (.995 * .995 * .995, which are tiny hits) then you have a case otherwise it may not be a winable protest depending on the opinion of the DPN committee.

Bill and Eric have been flogged on the internet for what 10+ years now. Remember the sh!tstorm on the old 1design.net site? So, a protest needs to be filed or everyone needs accept the situation for what it is.

For the record, I did ask the DPN committee to review ALL the Formula boats, box rule, RC 30 and yes the M20 too. I requested that review be done to bounce the DPN numbers off the other systems in use just to make sure the numbers are in the ballpark. It never went anywhere.

Mark before you jump in here and start beating the drum about switching to a measurement based system please note that nobody has made the effort to file a protest and this has been going on for years! This clearly points out that we have the time to bitch about something but don't have the time or the desire to do something about it.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: David Ingram] #248056
05/10/12 08:16 AM
05/10/12 08:16 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
[quote=DUH]

The bottom line is, it is up to us to file a protest if we feel a competitor is breaking a rule. The RC 30 issue is known by those that are interested and it always taints their accomplishments. As for Dave, same deal.

Both Eric and Dave visit this forum from time to time.

Perhaps being called out will encourage them to do the right thing, just like it did when Skip (ARC22) had his little "problem" at the start of the Steeplechase.

Having said that, like Dave said, this race is more about luck than being good or having a sweet rating.

However, it is always nice to think you have a fair chance when you set out in the morning. laugh

BTW...here was my "Franken Boat" this year.

[Linked Image]

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248057
05/10/12 08:18 AM
05/10/12 08:18 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sweet. Wots it rate?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: pgp] #248060
05/10/12 08:50 AM
05/10/12 08:50 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by pgp
Sweet. Wots it rate?

Jack Woehrle
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: jkkartz1] #248064
05/10/12 09:14 AM
05/10/12 09:14 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

Nice Jack!
Love the shark on the bows!

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Mugrace72] #248065
05/10/12 09:25 AM
05/10/12 09:25 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mugrace72
[quote=David Ingram][quote=DUH]...Having said that, like Dave said, this race is more about luck than being good or having a sweet rating.

In many cases, yes, but I finished within sight of the RC30 the year I did the mug race on an I20 and still lost to it....I think there's a little more to that sweetheart rating - he's won that thing like, what? 12 years in a row?

Jake Kohl
Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: ] #248066
05/10/12 09:36 AM
05/10/12 09:36 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
wow, and I was just interested (prior to a scheduling conflict) in attending for the party and the nice sail up the river with a crap-load of different boats.

I mean, really, how often do you get to sail along with an A-scow, a tall ships, sailing canoes, 4ksbs we've all skinned our knees on, and franken-boats of all shapes and sizes?

You dudes at the front of the pack worry about that protest stuff... but in essence I agree that if you've franken-boated yourself it would be nice to come up with a fair means of adjusting the rating.

Jay

Re: Congratulations to Dave & Dave [Re: Jake] #248069
05/10/12 09:46 AM
05/10/12 09:46 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

Mark before you jump in here and start beating the drum about switching to a measurement based system please note that nobody has made the effort to file a protest and this has been going on for years! This clearly points out that we have the time to bitch about something but don't have the time or the desire to do something about it.

Got it...

You guys are pretty lame talking about a competitor cheating and not having the balls to challenge him.... IMO... if anyone gets flicked... it should be the wankers who whine but don't do anything.

JC made the only relevant point.... The race will die unless the OA gets the priorities right..... eg it's a race first... then a party.

FYI, With SCHRS.... every owner would have been the one to declare the bits. measure the bits, run the calculator and get the rating.

He can get someone else to man the smart end of the ruler... or even a completely independent team to measure the bits and sign their name.

Everything I have quickly read so far... may not be "fair" but it certainly was legal under Portsmouth.... That is the problem with portsmouth.

crac.sailregattas.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022