10/10/03 01:46 AM
10/10/03 01:46 AM
C
CT249 Offline OP
stranger
CT249  Offline OP
stranger
C

Australia's Forster regatta this year had only two F16HPs, but they caused a lot of interest. Tim and Gary Maskiell turned up with singlehanded Mosquitoes. For those who don't know them, the Mossie is a late '60s design with a low aspect rig, sailed either 1 up as cat, or 2 up as sloop. The Taipan is basically an updated, uprigged Mossie.

The two singlehanded Mossies dominated the small open class. They also beat about half the As home in some races (maybe most races), and I think at least once only one of the 17 or so Taipan 4.9s (non spinnaker) beat them home. They were as fast or faster than the F18s downwind, it seemed. Most impressive of all was the fact that current world A Class champ Glenn Ashby reckoned the Mossies were clearly quicker downwind that his A.Considering that the Mossies carry tiny rig and rate a lot lower than a "real" F16HP, it was interesting to see how well they went. As Gashby says, a modern F16HP singlehander would be a weapon.

--Advertisement--
Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: CT249] #24965
10/10/03 06:45 AM
10/10/03 06:45 AM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

I couldn't make Forster because of work but I heard about the kited Mossies. It seems like they really did make an impression.

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: phill] #24966
10/10/03 08:10 AM
10/10/03 08:10 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

CT249,

We know of the mossies, actually the South African F16 class has the Mossies as their core. Similar positive things have been reported from there. It is good to see you guys mixing it up with spis there.

I trust that this comparison against 17 or so Taipans will be the end of the myth that a spi makes a Taipan or Mossie slower. I can't really tell wether you beat the F18's home as well or only equalled them on the downwind stretches. No matter which however I bed you had alot of fun chasing down F18's downhill on your 60's design !

Recently I was contacted by one of the organisations that has an entry in the ISAF Youth cat Trails and they wanted to know wether their boat could fall under the Formula 16 framework. It was very comparable to the Mosquito.

Right here in the Low Lands we can welcome another fully optimized F16 owner. We have been saying this again and again. Our growth is modest but it is certain. Interest is slowly increasing and all of who have come in contact with this class are hooked. This class is really viewed as having potential. At my own club I was assured that another crew would go F16 after test sailing the various design this coming season.

With the launch of a fully optimized F16 in Australia not to far away we feel that Glenn Ashby's prediction may become reality sooner than most of us think.

With the F18 class making impressive progress in Australia I feel that the F16 class was right in time to support the 16's against the onslaught of F18's. With shows of performance like the two mossies gave away, the 16's have a bright future.

I was personally hoping to see more F16's at foster especially as this was the location of the F18 nationals. With the Taipans fitted with spis that would have really send a signal that the 16's are to be reckoned with. To both the F18's as the A's.

I thank the mossies sailors for singlehandedly taking up the challenge and giving away a great showing.

My hat of to you.

Wouter

Chairman F16 class.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: CT249] #24967
10/13/03 08:02 AM
10/13/03 08:02 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Well done Tim & Gary, just keep on doing the good stuff !
News from South Africa, we`ve just had our Mosquito Nationals, for moe info see http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/tuffex/index.htm

We have 6 spinnaker boats now, all of which are sailed regularly, albeit at our home base mostly, thought we`re growing the number of travelling sailors, giving more exposure to the class. Good news is that after our nationals another SIX spinnakers were ordered, seems the rest are tired of being lapped ! Tim & Gary, just keep it up & the same is likely to happen in Aus. We`ve adopted the spinnaker as standard, unlike the Taipan class - we had 100% "yes" vote from our class members on this issue.

We`ve sailed against Hobie 16`s & Hobie Tigers fairly often, in some conditions we are equal in speed downwind to the Tigers, although they run away upwind in most conditions, until it gets windy. The Hobie 16 sailors here are frighteningly fast, and I`m embarrassed to say they are as quick as we are in certain conditions, although I think most of our Hobie sailors have been world champ at some time or another, which makes them hard to beat ! On a windward/leeward course we have the edge on them, on a close reach there`s nothing quite like a H16. They are trying out their spinnaker kit with limited success - upside-down Hobies are not that fast !

Cheers
Steve

Attached Files
Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #24968
10/13/03 08:05 AM
10/13/03 08:05 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
....And here`s the attachment to my post !

Attached Files
Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #24969
10/13/03 05:54 PM
10/13/03 05:54 PM
A
AUS147 Offline
stranger
AUS147  Offline
stranger
A

Hi All,

We had a fleet of 17 Taipans and that's great at Forster. I tried as did many the F16 concept last season. We had a great time however the Taipan is a great boat without a spinnaker and I personally will be pushing to ensure initially we don't split the Taipan class in Australia by having half of us racing with Spinnakers.

The Taipan class is still growing very successfully and much of that is attribruited to the simplicity of the boat. Eg: Why is the Hobie 16 still around... I have had many Hobie 18 sailors whose collegues have gone to F18 say they don't want to sail with a Spi and hoped the Taipan did not go that way however it was nice to be able to sail F16 occasionally.

The 1st Taipan international event will be sailed Sloop.

The F16 is great for distance racing or if you sail predominantly in light winds or have a good crew who has the strength and willingness to sail with a Spi then it is perfect. I know most of the crew's on the Taipan's in Australia enjoyed it, as did the skippers however for most of the racing we do the crews lost the enjoyment they used to have and many of the other crew would never sail with a spi. Hence we started to split the class... Never a good thing.

If I were sailing with another guy I would probably sail with a Spi and race the F18 however we have a great class and that needs to be our primary focus. We need to keep the crews happy. Also sailing Cat rigged I would sail with a Spi.

We seem to be forgetting we are not out there to beat the F18’s but to help the formula concept grow and hopefully create an alternative class to the F18 that people under 145kgs can sail successfully.

I have not seen the results on elapsed time. The mossie’s did create some interested and I am sure a Taipan with a kite cat rigged would have been really awesome. It was not a windy regatta. I would have been interesting watching these guys on the Mossie’s in 15-18 knots with the kite.

We will sail with a Spi in distance races and for a bit of fun sometimes however I don’t think there will be many Taipan F16’s at the major regatta in Australia for a while to come…

However when the first F16 worlds is organised I will be their for sure…..

Cheers Willy

Re: Mosquito F16HPs [Re: AUS147] #24970
10/14/03 08:07 AM
10/14/03 08:07 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Hello Andrew,

>>We had a fleet of 17 Taipans and that's great at Forster.

You had more didn't you ? I saw same 25 named in the sloop section and 8 in the catrigged section. Makes 33 in total.

Great turn-out by the way.

>>The Taipan class is still growing very successfully and much of that is attribruited to the simplicity of the boat.

Humm, we had the simplicity of the boat back in 1998 and springtime 1999 together with the demo's of Jim in US and Greg in EU not to mention great finishings at the Texel race and some US races.

After a long delay Arjan bough the Texel Taipan in 2000 I think, I know because I was involved in that. That was it for the Netherlands, the US saw some 3 to 4 sales in the years after that. Back then simplicity of the boat was not a big selling point.

Then in early 2001 the Formula 16 class was created. We now have 4 Taipan F16 here, 1 Stealth and a 5th F16 wannabee with a preference on the Taipan F16 version and talk of how to progress the class the comming season and reach critical mass. Similar development was seen in the US. All of these boats are fitted / sold / build with spinnaker packages. Just recently Jim did another promo in the US. But the tripling or quadripeling of the Taipan numbers in the US was achieved in the time before this promo.

Going on your reasoning one would expect the sales to decrease as a result of the increase in complexity that the spinnaker package introduces. Still this didn't happen. With this the question becomes wether it is really the simplicity of the boat that is causing its numbers to swell internationally or something else.

Another important consideration is of course why the F18 class was able to grow into a "26 boats attending the nationals in US" within the time span of 2 years when the Taipan 4.9 class did not even have a nationals in the US before 2002 and only after the F16 class had coined the idea of a F16 nationals in the US.

Similar things are happening in Australia. Let me put it this way in Europe the Nacra 5.5 and 5,8 classes as well as the TheMightyHobie18 classes were succesful. Then along comes the F18 class. Nacra and Hobie classes vote down the spi packages as being to much work for their crews. Within some 5 years the F18 class has grown in a full scale class and was showing continued growth, both the Nacra 5.5/5.8 and TheMightyHobie18 class had to terminate their class organisations and events as no-one was attending these anymore. Where did all these F18 crews come from ? Did the F18 class attract only new members and did they nacra 5.5/5.8 and TheMightyHobie18 sailors all quit because the didn't want a spi package ?

Because make no mistake about; that F18 class is a 10 foot st. bernard k-9 ; It all looks cuddly and harmless enough but when that when that baby decides to go and sit on your lap then you are going to know about it and there is not much room left on the couch. And if you are not careful enough than nobody will see you anymore as the K-9 takes all the attention.

Now if sailors are really in general not interested in spinnaker then how did the Australian F18 class ever achieve to grow into their 27 boat inaugural nationals within less than 2 years ? Where did these sailors come from ? And why did they choose to switch classes ? For now the F18 class did not pick many sailors from the Taipan 4.9 class. How long will that last ? How long till the top sailors of the Taipan class will jump ship ? What will happen when the top sailors start leaving the class ? Can a class survive on the bottom halve of fleet ? Nacra 5.5/5.8 and TheMightyHobie18 sailors thought they could do that. Lets look at the Tornado class, a majority voted down the spi package, surely this constitute enough crews to keep the standard Tornado without a spi alive ? Well were are they now ? Now 90 % of the crews voting down the spi package are sailing with one right now. Their commitment to the spi-less tornado setup was that strong.

It hurts me to say that I am convinced that the choice is NOT between a (internationally) succesful spi-less Taipan 4.9 class or a split fleet of Taipan and F16 sailors but rather between a slow but assured strangling of the Taipan 4.9 class or a continued presence and maybe growth of both the Taipan 4.9 and F16 class by close cooperation and coordination between the two classes.

The path towards continued existance and growth of both classes is found in the spinnaker package. With it the class has a good basis to with stand the attractions of the F18 class as well as the A-cat class. Without it, it will never reach international critical mass as die out as a result.

And Andrew, I've been involved with the Taipan 4.9 class since 1998 and I know what I'm talking about. And I for one am not willing to let the Taipan 4.9 class die and have it replaced by an overweight platform of equal or maybe even inferiour performance because some Hobie 18 sailors do not understand the power of the F18 class.

Andrew, to give you an example. Right now the only classes that mean anything here are :

Tornado
F18's
A-cats
F20's
H16's

The others : TheMightyHobie18, H20, H14 (only one event a year now), H17, Nacra 5.5, Nacra 5.8, Nacra 6.0, Nacra 5.7, Nacra 5.2, Prindle 18, Prindle 19, Prindle 18, Prindle 16 (at one time just as succesful as the H16) ARE ALL DISCONTUED and their class organisations have been disbanded.

I did race committee work (counterstart vessel-course official) for the Hobie nationals in 2000. Only the H16 , F18 (hobie tiger) had races of significant numbers. We had to send away the 1 TheMightyHobie18 sailor, 2 H17 sailors and we did not see any H14, H20 or other hobie boats. The FOX and FX boats were to new to be able to attract any significant numbers.

I can assure you that we too had many TheMightyHobie18 sailors in 1995 who would never let go of their beloved TheMightyHobie18.

Right now even Hobie USA has officially cancelled production of the TheMightyHobie18. The Prindle has been discontinued for several years now (only available on special order with minimum of 5 boats or so) same for the nacra's except the updated (spi ?) reacreational/sail school oriented nacra 570 and nacra 500.

Do you see where this is leading too ?

>>>Eg: Why is the Hobie 16 still around...

Yes, why is it still around ? Does the Taipan class have within it the same reason that the H16 class has so that it can be expected to weather this F18 storm succesfully ?

Hope of the sailors left behind by a majority of their own top crews (Summers ? ex TheMightyHobie18 sailor) will never assure the continued existance of the class in decline.

Don't fall in this trap Andrew, it is an attractive trap but just as in the Tornado class their support will disappear from under your feet like quick sand.

These guys are the followers and once their class has dropped below the critical mass they will forget what they've said and jump ship aswell or get out of catamaran sailing.

Andrew I have seen this happen several times before.

>>>The 1st Taipan international event will be sailed Sloop.

Well that would be logical as the Taipan class rules will never include the use of a spinnaker. Part of the reason why the F16 class was created is this certain fact. To give a framework to the sailors who did want to expand the capabilities of their platform by adding a spi. The other reason is to preserve the Taipan class and the potential for ligtweigth 16 footer that she champions for the future. This may sound corny but this is actually true. I've raced F18's and if I had a dedicated crew than I would not have chosen a Taipan spin-off as my new boat. Now I have a dedicated crew again and she is eye-balling the spinnakers on other boats like the F18's; I'm so very happy that I've went for the F16 myself; it will be the right boat for us.

Now she has a bad left hand sue to an sever accident so we decided to swith roles; I do the crew thingy with the spi and she will be the skipper next year. Women are better drivers anyway, right ?

The thought that the spi is too heavy on female crews is actually a very narrow one. It assumes that the man has to be the skipper by definition. Besides, crews on the Mossies and US Taipan sailors are experimenting on their boats with 2:1 spi sheeting systems and are jubilant about it.

Andrew, I see several women crews on 49-ers; how do they do it with that 30 sq. mtr. spi ? Apperently it can be done well with careful thought. Similar to stepping on a cat for the first time and learning to control that beast.

>>The F16 is great for distance racing or if you sail predominantly in light winds or have a good crew who has the strength and willingness to sail with a Spi then it is perfect. I know most of the crew's on the Taipan's in Australia enjoyed it, as did the skippers however for most of the racing we do the crews lost the enjoyment they used to have and many of the other crew would never sail with a spi. Hence we started to split the class... Never a good thing.

The F16 class is great for the Taipan 4.9 class survival !

That light winds argument is nonsense, it didn't hold back the F18 class in both US and AUS so why should it hold back the Taipan class.

No guys really, careful cooperation and coordination between the two classes is key. This way we can preserve the non -spi attractiveness of the Taipan 4.9 class as well as secure its future and maybe we can even attract some TheMightyHobie18 and nacra 5.8 sailors who really don't want that spi. In turn the spi setup will keep the top sailors in both classes and be succesful in attracting new sailors in the weightrange of 110kg's -160 kg's allow both classes to grow internationally. And the spi setup will sufficiently equipe the taipan to weather the F18 introduction.

>>We seem to be forgetting we are not out there to beat the F18’s but to help the formula concept grow and hopefully create an alternative class to the F18 that people under 145kgs can sail successfully.

Indeed, and we will not being doing that be hunkering down withing the Taipan one-design rules and shutting our eye to what happened to the classes that found themself in such situation a few years earlier.

I propose to intensify the cooperation and coordination between our classes and to decide on tactical grounds which events to do in which setup. I strongly believe in this and I hope I have convinced you of this aw well.

regards,

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 10/14/03 08:12 AM.

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: AUS147] #24971
10/14/03 11:51 AM
10/14/03 11:51 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Hi guys, When I wrote the following :
"We`ve adopted the spinnaker as standard, unlike the Taipan class - we had 100% "yes" vote from our class members on this issue." I never meant to make comparison between the 2 classes & the way they do things or offend anyone with regard to that.
The Mosquito class in Australia has not included the spinnaker as standard equipment yet, only the South African Mosquito Class has done so, for reasons which Wouter highlights quite nicely. 5 years ago the class was in major decline, and here we only have H16 & Dart 18 to lose sailors to. By building our boats down to min. weight, new rig design & adding the spinnaker we are growing the class again, with a lot of outside interest.
I believe the Australian Mosquito Class is also in decline, they would do well to follow our example. What we`ve found is that even those who do not want spinnakers have voted for their inclusion, as they see the growth potential for the class.
The Taipan class in Australia is in a very different circumstance : I believe they have some 200 members (correct me if I`m wrong), so getting their class rules amended to include spinnakers would be far more difficult, and may not benefit the class. They may be better off sailing standard, except for open or designated F16 regattas. The danger Wouter highlights is that 5 years from now they may re-evaluate their position, if they face a decline in members to more exciting boats, but this may or may never happen. I think the Taipan is as much boat as most can handle - hat off the Jim Boyer & Greg Goodall. You can`t improve much on the design.
"The F16 is great for distance racing or if you sail predominantly in light winds or have a good crew who has the strength and willingness to sail with a Spi then it is perfect" In my experience we have had more success in course racing with the spinnaker than in long-distance racing, sometimes in a long race you have a long shy reach, and can`t fly the spinnaker, but you`re sailing with it`s handicap - very frustrating. This happened in the last 2 distance races we`ve done. Course racing - round a-mark, up spinnaker & you`re gone.
In response to the spinnakered mozzies beating Taipans, they are just excited about the fact that they could do so, a spinnakered Taipan would blow most boats away, if you can hold it down. That`s where the Mozzie has the advantage - we have LESS sail area than you guys, and put the kite up until about 20 knots. What I`ve found is the boat gybes safer with the kite in strong wind than without.

Cheers
Steve

Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #24972
10/20/03 06:58 AM
10/20/03 06:58 AM
East Gippsland, Australia
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

Wow this thread has raised a lot of issues! I was one of those Mozzies at Forster, and it was a great opportunity for us to race against a decent fleet of A-classes and Taipans with some top sailors in the fleet. We have been waiting for some time now to see how the Spi rig performs against other cats. The finishing times weren't posted at Forster but I do have copies of some of the timing sheets which will allow me to get some partial results figured out. Once I'm confident I've done them right I'll post them on the VMCA web site.

In answer to Steve's comment about changing the class rules in Australia, I am confident that it will happen, but right now there is no need to push the class into making a move. The Mosquitos certainly declined badly once the Taipan came along back in the 90s but in the last two seasons there has been growing interest in the class. I believe the growth in the use of the spinnaker rig will only accelerate this. For our National and State titles we will continue to sail without spinnakers, while at every other event we can use spinnakers (the VYC has given us a handicap to sail to which helps a lot). The number using spinnakers will inevitably grow (three more sails have been ordered in the last month) and eventually the majority of Mosquito sailors (if not all) will want the rules to change. Over in SA they have already reached that point, which is just great. We will catch up Steve, don't worry.

With regard to stronger winds, I agree with Steve. Because we have a smaller rig this does help to make the boat more manageable. The obvious downside is that in light winds we don't get on the trap as early. Being such a light boat though, means that against Hobies and F18s we can still perform well in the light stuff. Last weekend Gary and myself sailed our club race right after a front had passed through, in a solid 20-22 knot wind and pouring rain (Victoria !). Gary left his spinnaker in the chute and I flew mine on the three downwind legs. I also find that the spinnaker only makes the downwind legs easier to handle in these conditions, but the big point is that I didn't beat Gary. We have found this every time it gets this windy, that you just don't gain enough distance when the boats are moving that fast anyway, and the race is more often won or lost on the upwind legs. Things would be different in a passage race, but round a course in 20 knots the reaching legs are just too short to make good use of the spinnaker.

We are looking forward to taking our Baby F16s to many more open events around Victoria this season and also the Eden regatta in NSW in February. I'm really hoping we will get to see some of the Taipan F16s in action at some of these events.

Tim

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #24973
10/25/03 11:50 PM
10/25/03 11:50 PM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

Tim,

I've heard a lot about Forster. Damn shame I had to work.

What size kitE were you guys using?

Would you mind posting the Eden Regatta details and I'll see if I have to work that weekend.

Thanks,
Phill

Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: phill] #24974
10/29/03 09:23 PM
10/29/03 09:23 PM
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

Hi Phill

My spinnaker is 16.9 sqm (181.9 sqft) and Gary's is 14.19 sqm (152.69 sqft). I think we've just about established that the smaller kite is slightly faster in most conditions. The next step is to try one a little smaller still. Both have exactly the same luff length. What makes a fast spinnaker is not turning out to be intuitively obvious!

The Twofold Bay Yacht Club regatta is advertised for the 14th & 15th February 2004. There's usually a good fleet of Hobies and some A-classes and Mosquitos there.

I would also like to make it to the Botany Bay Classic at Kurnell the following weekend, but I will have to earn some extra time off to manage that.

Is there a NSW F16 States planned for this season?

Cheers
Tim

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #24975
10/30/03 05:14 AM
10/30/03 05:14 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
what makes a fast genacker.. luff length.. Keep the area behind the fulcrum point low as this extra area tends to "hook" to windward and becomes a large air brake.
have a good talk with Irwin at Irwin Sails. His I14 kites are quick..

Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #24976
10/30/03 06:47 AM
10/30/03 06:47 AM
P
phill Offline

veteran
phill  Offline

veteran
P

Tim,
Thanks for the info on the kites.
Mind telling me the luff length you are using and how high up the mast your gate is for the kite.

Andrew Williams won the last states on 22 Feb last year at Kurnell.
That means he gets to noiminate the venue and date for the next states. There are a couple of provisos, he has to give 3 months notice, there must be at least 3 challengers and it is to take place no longer than 15 months after the last one.
So we just need Willy to let us know.

Regards,
Phill

Isn't he forced to name venue when he's challenged [Re: phill] #24977
10/30/03 10:44 AM
10/30/03 10:44 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Isn't he forced to name venue when he's challenged ?

I mean if Tim were to challenge Andrew for the Cup won't Andrew have to name a venue, (taking no longer than 15 months after the last challenge) OR give up the Cup and not defend it ?

The sailors together need to make sure that at least 3 challenger in addition to the defender show up at this venue to make the challenge official.

When Andrew chooses not to defend it than you Phill, as the class respresentative, can name a venu and put the cup up for the winner of that venue.

I imagine that it shouldn't be to hard to find the challengers when the Gauntlet has been put down by a mozzie sailor. I mean honour of the Taipan class is at stake here.

Personally I would love to see a mozzie crew (singlehanded?) beat the Taipan defender. Talking about claiming your turf as a mosquito sailor. Cool !

By the way I think Tim or Gary may be up to it.

I've just received the elapsed time results of the Wildcat regatta at Foster 2003 and here is how the Mozzies did :

Even without handicap calculations (so taking only the elapsed time finishings)

Gary Maskiell takes 4th place out of 10 bigger boats (4 Tornado, 1 Nacra 5.8, 1 Hobie 20 and 2 Taipan 5.7) while Tim puts in a 7th/10

That is pretty quick sailing.

The excel sheet can be seen by clicking on the attachment.

By the way, Tim, I tried to send you an e-mail last week but it bounched. Can I resend it now ?

Wouter

Attached Files

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: Mosquito F16HPs, Taipans etc [Re: phill] #24978
11/05/03 04:48 AM
11/05/03 04:48 AM
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

Hi Phill

The luff length is 6.9m and the halyard height is set at 6380mm from the main beam (1m above the maximum hounds height).

I'll keep an eye out for the NSW states announcement when it comes.

Tim

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
What pole length ? [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #24979
11/05/03 07:32 AM
11/05/03 07:32 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Tim,

What pole length are you running ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: What pole length ? [Re: Wouter] #24980
11/08/03 05:32 PM
11/08/03 05:32 PM
Tim_Mozzie Offline
old hand
Tim_Mozzie  Offline
old hand

Hi Wouter

The pole is 3 metres from main beam to pulley.

I posted all the important measurements like this on the VMCA web site back in 2001 in the hope that when Mosquito sailors in Australia started rigging spinnakers there would be some consistency, and that we would avoid crazy experiments with the corresponding broken masts (etc) and bad publicity. It took longer than I expected for the spinnaker to take off here (my fault because I didn't push it enough) but now it has, the simple rules about halyard height, pole length and sheeting position are working out well. By an amazing coincidence the South Africans are working to almost the same parameters, except that I think they like to play around with the sheeting position.

Tim

Tim Shepperd
Mosquito 1775
Karma Cat
Re: What pole length ? [Re: Tim_Mozzie] #24981
11/10/03 11:21 AM
11/10/03 11:21 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Tim,

I was sure I had read all teh info on your website and hadn't seen the pole length. Turns out I had read the page but failed to recognize the beam to pully = max 3000 mm as the substitude for teh pole length measurement. Foolish of me.

Thanks for clearing this up. By the way I like you webpage; alot of information and active.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022