04/17/13 03:08 PM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
Originally Posted by alsail
Apalachicola is to the west and home of the Stephen C. Smith regatta and yes oysters supreme the home of the best in the world and a great regatta if they still have it, all boats are invited check it out the cats and sail boards used to show up but in the later years there were less and less I haven't been there in about 10 or so years but in the 90's it was one of my favorite regattas

Alex

Yup it's April 26-28 just looked it up same weekend as the Dauphin island race check it out it's a great race and the beer used to flow like water as they bring a truck with 5 taps on the side and it's free all weekend WOW

Got a link?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: bacho] #259021
04/17/13 11:31 PM
04/17/13 11:31 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by bacho

Got a link?

LINK IS HERE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: Mugrace72] #259032
04/18/13 09:10 AM
04/18/13 09:10 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I'd have to agree with Jack...

While Mosquitos have been known to carjack the occasional tourist down here (we are in the everglades, you know. There is one species here slightly smaller than your thumb), the nightly invasion of no-see-ums along the beach will reduce the strongest people to tears.

It's almost fun to go to the beach for sunset, and while you're making a hasty retreat at dusk you start to hear the screams of the drunks who are still lying on the beach...

And from what I can tell, there is no really effective pesticide for those thingies (well, besides DDT but I don't think that's legal anymore)

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 04/18/13 09:10 AM.

Jay

Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: waterbug_wpb] #259033
04/18/13 09:35 AM
04/18/13 09:35 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Charleston at sunrise during the summer isn't any better with regards to no-see-ums. While driving out to setup a Hobie 18 one morning (trying to beat the people that park and block one of the few beach accesses on Folly) he told me that we could probably only withstand about 20 minutes at a time before we go "full monkey". It took about 10 minutes before we both were running away while jumping up and down waving our arms over our head as those f'ers devoured us.

Jake Kohl
Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: Jake] #259037
04/18/13 12:15 PM
04/18/13 12:15 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
yeah, whatever blood-thinner /allergen they have in their saliva leaves me with bigger welts than most mosquito bites..

weird little f'ers

Jay

Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: waterbug_wpb] #259040
04/18/13 02:16 PM
04/18/13 02:16 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I'd have to agree with Jack...

While Mosquitos have been known to carjack the occasional tourist down here (we are in the everglades, you know. There is one species here slightly smaller than your thumb), the nightly invasion of no-see-ums along the beach will reduce the strongest people to tears.

It's almost fun to go to the beach for sunset, and while you're making a hasty retreat at dusk you start to hear the screams of the drunks who are still lying on the beach...

And from what I can tell, there is no really effective pesticide for those thingies (well, besides DDT but I don't think that's legal anymore)

I did a little reading on them a while ago and workers in tropical island areas were slathering up with 40wt motor oil. Doesn't repel them but they get caught up in the oil. Avon skin so soft works fairly well if you keep applying it but then they'll start biting your head.

Have Fun
Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: Jake] #259052
04/19/13 08:00 AM
04/19/13 08:00 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

I went to my Navy schooling in Charleston. Occasionally they would take newbies out at sunset and make em stand at attention ... just to see how long they could hold it before they ran away screaming...
Originally Posted by Jake
Charleston at sunrise during the summer isn't any better with regards to no-see-ums. While driving out to setup a Hobie 18 one morning (trying to beat the people that park and block one of the few beach accesses on Folly) he told me that we could probably only withstand about 20 minutes at a time before we go "full monkey". It took about 10 minutes before we both were running away while jumping up and down waving our arms over our head as those f'ers devoured us.

Re: Florida Gulf Coast -(northeast corner) [Re: Mugrace72] #259054
04/19/13 08:02 AM
04/19/13 08:02 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

we get flying, biting ants for a few days early summer.. those things will make you dive off your boat
Originally Posted by Mugrace72
Originally Posted by David Parker

Banjo music is right. The South lives on in this part of Florida. And as for the Swannee, I've done this stretch in a small john boat. The gators here are serious. There are two kinds, big and bigger. I had my dog in the boat (gators favorite food, the dog, not the boat).

This part of the coast has no distinct beach, only a slow transition from mud and mangrove swamp to shallow Gulf. If you've seen the old movie Africian Queen you get the idea.

This part of Florida is very unique, from Cedar Key to St. Marks. Very remote but worth a visit.

I have done parts of this on my Wave and in kayaks.

I wouldn't worry much about gators or snakes. It is the No-see-ums that will take you down in a hurry. They are usually not out over the water, but thrive around boat ramps, mangroves and beaches. They come out in force just before dusk.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 656 guests, and 129 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022