samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by wildtsail7
Todd no matter how many times I tell you you don't seem to comprehend that you are not speaking for the majority of F18 sailors when you comment that F18 sailors are scared of scratching the bottom or damaging the boat. In addition, it's not that we're not "bitten by the bug" it's just not our priority and there isn't time or money for all of it.
Catacup is a perfect example, those beaches are not at fine at Florida's yet most of the teams drag their boat on the beach. There are also a lot of breakdowns here, more than I ever saw in Tybee (though there are more boats).
Steeplechase is another example.
The majority of the reason is that we are all focused on the bigger picture which is "marks racing". We all only have some much vacation time and money, we chose to use it for big events such as NA's or Worlds. When we did the Tybee that was our focus for the year, now it's the Championship events.
I would really like to do a Worrell and I think there are quite a few other people from our fleet that feel the same way. It would require enough notice (maybe a year and a half - 2 years) for us to allocate our time and funds to be able to do it in addition to any championships or make a decision way in advance to not attend the championships that year. But then again, how can you guarentee we will all still be sailing catamrans in a year and a half - 2 years.

It's funny that you should respond about scratched bottoms, you were the one that told me that.
Either way the track record of commit vs. follow through is pretty lean. That's why the Tybee is on hiatus.If I was organizing a race I'd be pretty hard pressed to trust that the follow through would be there in 2 years. " Oh cool, worlds are here, screw the distance race" Your remark about the "bigger picture" just reinforces my point(actually your whole post reinforces what I said), the passion is not there for distance racing. You can cry about time off all you want. People made it happen in the past (2 1/2 weeks for the Worrells) and still did their nats and stuff. If it's not your priority, then you are not bitten by the bug. Plain and simple.

I think there is enough momentum to run a Worrell once every 2-4 years. I know a lot of people talk the talk but I'm pretty sure you have 5 boats right here in this thread that will pay the entry fee tomorrow. Sustainability just might not be there.

I haven't heard any rumblings out of the Tybee camp in far too long, any chance of a 2014 comeback?

Scorpion F18
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: ThunderMuffin] #259666
05/16/13 08:15 AM
05/16/13 08:15 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Nothing is stopping a few of you from going old school. Just race the boats up the course the way it all began. You don't need anything but a few commited boats. Agree on the stopping points and keep your own time. This is how most of these races began.

Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: orphan] #259667
05/16/13 08:53 AM
05/16/13 08:53 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by orphan
Nothing is stopping a few of you from going old school. Just race the boats up the course the way it all began. You don't need anything but a few commited boats. Agree on the stopping points and keep your own time. This is how most of these races began.

True, but things aren't quite like they used to be. On many of the Florida Beaches, if a catamaran shows up on a beach overnight without a permit it gets ticketed or worse. Organizers of late spend weeks traveling up and down the coast to get the required permits and every beach / municipality has their own rules. For instance a quick search shows Pompano beach here:

Rules: Boogie boarding is allowed everywhere on the beach, but surfing is only allowed north of the pier. Wrist or ankle leashes are mandatory. Catamarans and sailboards can be launched only at Northeast 16th Street and must stay 200 yards off the public beach. (Boat and jet ski launching is available at Alsdorf Park at Northeast 14th Street and the Intracoastal Waterway).

Other places like St Augustine deem any catamaran left overnight on the beach as "trash" and can come pick it up and chunk it with no notice. It's hard to tell how closely these rules are policed but I'm a little hesitant to risk my racing machine to this kind of end.

Jake Kohl
Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: ThunderMuffin] #259670
05/16/13 09:58 AM
05/16/13 09:58 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I know the first Worrell was a bar bet and done on Hobie 16's, but how many were racing in the first one? Was it just two boats, or was it just one boat, going all the way from Ft. Lauderdale to VA Beach?

Blade F16
Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: ThunderMuffin] #259671
05/16/13 10:48 AM
05/16/13 10:48 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Delray allows cats on the beach. Vero used to allow cats on the beach. No problem at Cocoa. No problem in Daytona. No problem at Fernadina. St Simons has a cat club. Looks like the on problem may be the first stop. I think alot of the permits was because it was an event. It may be different with just some cats sailing up the coast.

Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: Timbo] #259675
05/16/13 03:50 PM
05/16/13 03:50 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Timbo
I know the first Worrell was a bar bet and done on Hobie 16's, but how many were racing in the first one? Was it just two boats, or was it just one boat, going all the way from Ft. Lauderdale to VA Beach?

I believe the first "worrell" went North to South (from VA to FL), but I don't know about the first "official" race...

Jay

Re: Its just about this time of year [Re: waterbug_wpb] #259678
05/16/13 05:10 PM
05/16/13 05:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by Timbo

I believe the first "worrell" went North to South (from VA to FL), but I don't know about the first "official" race...

Si Senor. One boat, Va. Beach to Ft. Liquordale with one hurricane in between, if I recall correctly. They flipped it the following year to take advantage of the prevailing winds.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 680 guests, and 151 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022