10/14/13 10:30 AM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by brucat
It gets even worse as winter wears on...

What is this "winter" thing you speak of? Our temperatures drop to 59 degrees in the middle of the night for one week every year. Is that "winter?"

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The CAULDRON [Re: Jake] #266226
10/14/13 10:37 AM
10/14/13 10:37 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
perhaps politics and religion are best debated in person? The relative anonymity of the internet seem to generate a race to the bottom...

Ummm...no. It's not.

why not? Do you feel online posting with pseudonames promotes healthy debate?

If you're thinking more of personal conduct being the limiting factor in debate I would agree that many (myself included) probably don't possess the self-control skills needed for such.

Jay

Re: The CAULDRON [Re: hobie1616] #266229
10/14/13 10:53 AM
10/14/13 10:53 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

H, "winter" is a short period where the humidity drops and afternoon rains stop.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: The CAULDRON [Re: pgp] #266231
10/14/13 11:23 AM
10/14/13 11:23 AM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp
H, "winter" is a short period where the humidity drops and afternoon rains stop.

That's why I didn't know what winter is. We either have high humidity or why is your shirt all wet.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: The CAULDRON [Re: waterbug_wpb] #266233
10/14/13 11:50 AM
10/14/13 11:50 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
perhaps politics and religion are best debated in person? The relative anonymity of the internet seem to generate a race to the bottom...

Ummm...no. It's not.

If you're thinking more of personal conduct being the limiting factor in debate I would agree that many (myself included) probably don't possess the self-control skills needed for such.

Pseudonames? no...not helpful. But that's also why I don't use one. I use my name as my username in every forum I participate in. I've had a couple of conversations at work lately that just didn't go well. Everyone (probably myself included) just seems so polarized today that there is little point in debating because nobody is going to change their position. For instance, I had a recent debate with someone I consider extremely intellectual who believes Obama is subversively trying to consume the supply of ammunition in order to control guns so they can take over an unarmed citizenship. I tried to point out that Obama only has a few years left in office so how would he gain from such a slow and obvious move (if that were the case) among several other inconsistencies with the conspiracy theory. Anyway, I digress...it ended with us both feeling differently about the other person and it impacted the personal relationship. I just try to avoid it anymore.

Jake Kohl
Re: The CAULDRON [Re: waterbug_wpb] #266234
10/14/13 11:52 AM
10/14/13 11:52 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn

Ummm...no. It's not.

This community is tiny. We, (or at least I have), know and have met most of the people who post here on a regular basis.

I'm boatless.
Re: The CAULDRON [Re: pgp] #266236
10/14/13 12:13 PM
10/14/13 12:13 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

All three of them?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: The CAULDRON [Re: Jake] #266238
10/14/13 12:32 PM
10/14/13 12:32 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Jake, were you wearing your tin foil hat during your discussion with said co-worker?

if not, he/she probably thought you were under mind control anyway...

speaking of mind control, I'm back to playing the old Command & Conquer series. that Yuri dude reminds me a lot of what you speak of... smile

Jay

Re: The CAULDRON [Re: Jake] #266243
10/14/13 01:03 PM
10/14/13 01:03 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

Ummm...no. It's not.

Pseudonames? no...not helpful. But that's also why I don't use one. I use my name as my username in every forum I participate in. I've had a couple of conversations at work lately that just didn't go well. Everyone (probably myself included) just seems so polarized today that there is little point in debating because nobody is going to change their position. For instance, I had a recent debate with someone I consider extremely intellectual who believes Obama is subversively trying to consume the supply of ammunition in order to control guns so they can take over an unarmed citizenship. I tried to point out that Obama only has a few years left in office so how would he gain from such a slow and obvious move (if that were the case) among several other inconsistencies with the conspiracy theory. Anyway, I digress...it ended with us both feeling differently about the other person and it impacted the personal relationship. I just try to avoid it anymore.

It's not that hard, You either don't want to be friends with someone because they don't think like you do or you look past it. I still consider you a friend and I'd say we are fairly opposed when it comes to views.You are just as polarized as your buddy if you didn't yield. It takes 2 to debate. I prefer to discuss this crap in person it is always much more civil. Then again my folks( as probably most here) said don't discuss religion or politics, I didn't listen, big surprise. If there were not at least 2 opposed views we would be in alot worse shape as a country than we are.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: The CAULDRON [Re: pgp] #266251
10/14/13 03:52 PM
10/14/13 03:52 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by brucat
Perfect response...

Speak to me like you want to be spoken to.

Oh dear, here I was, thinking you were going for humor/sarcasm. This is much worse than I thought...

Mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 126 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022