05/08/18 01:04 PM
Fulshear, TX
SGalway Offline
journeyman
SGalway  Offline
journeyman

Fulshear, TX
Originally Posted by Jake

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a "string test" being applied that way - do you have a rule reference?

28.2(a) -- A string when drawn taut should pass each mark on the required side and in the correct order

Would Yellow's string be closer to the mark or Green's when passing the mark on the required side? The answer is Green, at this mark she is the inside boat.

Shannon Galway
Fulshear, TX
YoNav! Flying Phantom
www.yonav.net
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rules Question - Downwind Finish [Re: mbounds] #288763
05/08/18 01:26 PM
05/08/18 01:26 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mbounds
After much reflection and review, I've made the determination that I shouldn't comment on fleet racing situations late on a Friday night when I've been studying for team race umpiring the next day. I was completely wrong in this situation. Mea maxima culpa.

Green is the inside boat. Yellow owes her mark room and must gybe when she (Yellow) enters the zone in order to provide Green with sufficient mark room, which includes room to gybe.

Something that's not obvious in this case is that the zone around the RC boat isn't circular, but boat-shaped and consequently much larger than my original diagram. Here's the diagram with the zone shown around the boat (light blue shading).
[Linked Image]

You've got them both gybing a little before they enter the zone and I don't think that's quite right. Yellow would not be obligated to gybe or otherwise avoid green until they were in the zone with overlap. If they can stay out of the zone, yellow can control the gybe back to the mark (as long as she remains on her proper course as the overtaking boat) on the layline and if she can break overlap before/as they enter the zone, yellow does not owe green room. While I'm certainly fallible, pretty confident I have that one right but correct me if wrong.

Supposing they are overlapped entering the zone, both on starboard, you are saying that yellow needs to anticipate green's gybe to port because green is currently the inside boat and yellow should gybe away before reaching the layline to allow green to be inside and have room at the mark - am I interpreting your statement correctly? BTW, I agree with this is how the rules SHOULD be structured in this situation (re; my earlier comment about yellow driving green into oncoming traffic at a gate)

However, I do believe that the word "inside" is very poorly used in this context in this rule with these gybing angles. Green isn't technically "inside" (between yellow and the mark) at the time that Yellow is required to make a maneuver because green is "inside".

Jake Kohl
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 344 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022