Thank you Rick! #29298
02/08/04 11:55 AM
02/08/04 11:55 AM
Bob_Curry Offline OP
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline OP
old hand

Rick,
I want to take this opportunity to personally thank you for giving the class its own sounding board!

In a few days, the simple class rules will be posted. Please keep in mind this will be a work in progress class! We will start out slowly, taking small steps. The short term goal is to get 5 boats at an event for our own start. The class rules evolved from boats that are already sailing at this time. Since these boats will probably represent the majority for now, we can scrub the rules at annual increments to allow more freedom and possibly an "unlimited" section later on. A small core group has been involved and you should find the rules flattering to the tinkerer in all of us!

Sincerely,

Bob Curry

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
--Advertisement--
Let's pick an event... [Re: Bob_Curry] #29299
02/08/04 12:28 PM
02/08/04 12:28 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Terry, Bob - who else is around that we could get? White or Wheat always seemed to be a good weekend - Don Cook is putting that together this year. If you two could make it over, shall we make that our first attempt? I suspect that other 4.3s will participate in the development of the class as they're able - not sure how many 14s are up in the Ohio area. The 4.3s have been getting together for mostly one-design sailing set within larger open regattas.

I'm stuck doing race management through the ice pick in a few weeks - I planned the Performance Midwinters as my first regatta for the year. Also registered for Spring Fever last night.

Let's keep it going!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Let's pick an event... [Re: John Williams] #29300
02/08/04 12:33 PM
02/08/04 12:33 PM
Bob_Curry Offline OP
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline OP
old hand

I kind of figured here in the panhandle a June event was feasible! Thanx for your support!!

Bob

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Let's pick an event... [Re: Bob_Curry] #29301
02/08/04 12:38 PM
02/08/04 12:38 PM
ms/fl
fuzzy Offline
journeyman
fuzzy  Offline
journeyman

ms/fl
I can and will be ready ASAP.....white or wheat just might be a good one to launch the class.terry

A-class #19
Re: Thank you Rick! [Re: Bob_Curry] #29302
02/08/04 12:49 PM
02/08/04 12:49 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI

second that , and believe you would get a unanimous vote of catsailors that feel the same .

Good on ya too Bob ,--thanks for tackling this F-14 class rules outline ,--you have the right idea in getting just a few knowledgable catsailors together to hammer out the details , class specs and rules. Numerous other Formula type or development type classes of all forms of sailing craft exist and have for some time dating back in history for examples and comparison guidelines.

Think it will be a very popular class over time , and especially great for youth sailors and beginning kids

Setting basic Length --Beam --sail areas -- are easy -
a max mast L is a good idea for safety reasons alone.

The stickiest points seem to be weight ,-
it is a very important factor that effects boats potential speed ,---there are numerous engineering design equations that address this aspect of boat design in consideration of relative performance characteristics between boats
as Bill Roberts mentioned on the other forum in the 14 thread.
Suggest consulting with him on questions the F-14 rules committee may have ,--John P ,-designer of the Stealth cats is also active on the forums and is like Bill genuinely interested in helping, being able to advise by applying practical design-engineering experience they have.

Crew weight is a difficult ,--my 2 cents is have no min. crew weight ,--just require any crew to be able to right the capsized boat and be able to demonstrate that .
If someone is too small {kids} then they team up ,
so crew may be one or more .
{have a race with min 6 crew sometime for fun }

On boat weight ,{boat and crew weight are the most controversial issues} --there are a number of existing types of boats and platforms that will be modified in numerous ways to help equalize their relative potential speeds --max sail area --spin-snuffer systems --hooters -- etc , anything they care to with maximum design measurement rules as outlined for the F-14s .
The one thing that is difficult to change much is basic boat weight as built ,-all these different platforms will have boat weights all over the board ,- all other things can be changed or modified to be equal.

3- potential solutions are possible -
the first two are not ideal-
A- A total min. boat and crew weight -{too complex}
requires adding weights {safety factor}
B- 2 CATEGORIES -lightweight HT types and reg weight
more per development classes like A Class and 18 sq --
or prefered solution -C -
Set min. boat weight at the lightest current type,or just under to allow some development,--
then allow a larger spin sail area for a second category heavier boat weight .
Weight is generally a larger factor downwind on the race course ,-so the theory is a larger spin compensates the heavier boat weight .

Again the rules committee may want to consult active catamaran designers on these types of rules as per specifics of spin sail area to weight ratios to equalize potential performance characteristics.

Good fair practical rules are a difficult task --
The F-14 class is dealing with a variety of existing boat types and existing conditions to attempt to accomodate ,
It is more difficult than just setting a new ideal design spec. for a yet to be built type class .
Individual experiences towards their particular type of boat influence the rule one devises ,--only pure design meaurement type formula and applied proven engineering and design equation will keep bias out ,-that and allowing all boats to modify as they choose to max allowed equal specifications and potential boat performances .
Should be great fun ,-
Looking forward to seeing some great fun F-14 racing

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022