02/10/04 01:36 PM
02/10/04 01:36 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Rick - I assumed all along that this would pull in the souped up Wave you've been sailing. You fit the box, so bring it on!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
--Advertisement--
Re: Perhaps a Fleet at Bay Week? [Re: RickWhite] #29450
02/10/04 02:28 PM
02/10/04 02:28 PM
Daytona Beach FL
TheoA Offline
TheoA  Offline

Daytona Beach FL
I want to get Blade or 4.3 T plans and build.

Going to use an A-class main, cut down to fit a 24' mast.
I'd like to get some pictures of the ARC boats, particularly the decks. And a LOOOONG pole w/chute.
8'6" beam to fit a trailer I've already got.

94 N5.5SL
Re: The MASSES have Spoken!! New Rules posted!! [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #29451
02/10/04 05:00 PM
02/10/04 05:00 PM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
In response to Steve Kwicksilver
"Pick a PN number that is a little ambitious for a 14ft boat, but not so wild that you have to modify the hell out of a boat, or overdesign the rig to be competitive. Base it on the average of the 14ft designs that you have sailing currently with added spinnaker / hooter. Good idea to base it on that H14 that is on steroids."

It is a good idea except you can't calculate a Portsmouth # to that level of detail. A Portsmouth corrector can tell you the effect on a boats Portsmouth # of putting a spin on or widening the beam. There is no way of calculating what you have to do to a Mystere 4.3 to make it equal to Bob's H14, for example. I don't know of a way to independently calculate the Portsmouth # of a totally new boat.

The texel system claims to be able to do that. BUT, it has known problems with light boats and it doesn't rate a hooter equal to a spin. There are probably other problems that I don't know about.

IF EVERYBODY AGREES THAT:

1) all of us are sailing light boats so the problem will be EQUAL FOR ALL OF US

2) A hooter and a spin are equal on a sq foot basis (i,e, a 100 sq ft Spin is the equal of a 100 sq ft hooter)

3) Foils (dagger boards and rudders) are NOT taken into account

4) a maximum mast height and all masts are equal

5) Plus some other things I have not thought of

You could generate a CRUDE table that would give you max upwind and downwind sail area for a given length, width and beam.

For example, you would round your length and beam up to the nearest 3 in, round your boat weight up to the nearest 10 lbs, find these values in the table and read off your max upwind and downwind sail area.

You would probably find a Wave would be allowed to run a spin hanging from a helium balloon in addition to a hooter.and still be below max sail area

Any better ideas and who wants to generate the table? I will help but right now I am real busy.

Re: The MASSES have Spoken!! New Rules posted!! [Re: carlbohannon] #29452
02/10/04 05:06 PM
02/10/04 05:06 PM
H
HuntS Offline
stranger
HuntS  Offline
stranger
H

This class sounds great. I have too many boats already but it will be fun to watch. Just a thought from an interested observer:

8'6" beam can be a pain on the road and in transit. A-class are 7'6" I believe. and I don't think you would miss the beam on a 14' boat.

IMHO

Re: The MASSES have Spoken!! New Rules posted!! [Re: HuntS] #29453
02/10/04 06:00 PM
02/10/04 06:00 PM
Bradenton, FL
Sycho15 Offline
addict
Sycho15  Offline
addict

Bradenton, FL
HuntS- Are you from Europe? Most of the sailors in this debate are in the US where we've got nice wide roads and all the 16'+ cats built in the last 15-20 years have been 8'6" wide.

As mentioned above- if we're having trouble with the boat being two wide, a chopsaw and a drill can fix it. Much more difficult to fix a boat that's too narrow.

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T
Re: comparison [Re: carlbohannon] #29454
02/10/04 09:25 PM
02/10/04 09:25 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
The F-16 ht Class and web site did a very nice job of comparing different design variations within Formula classification by using Texel and ISAF rating -
They only take basics of L B W SA plus a few other factors in the design measurement rating to arrive at an average comparison of all types of cats ,--but that is very different from a detailed design annalysis in greater depth on similar designs in a similar classification .

It is ISAF that provides the basic definitions and standard methods of measurement that is the basic language used when defining these types of design measurement based formula classes .-
http://www.schrs.com/schrsdiagrams.asp?id=boat

A detailed design annalysis is not needed ,-no one would agree on its method or relative numeric value placed on numerous varied design features which would then vary in each wind and sea condition .

Think your correct that all must agree in principle that all boat types have a reasonable opportunity to modify their boat to potentially be the equal of any other .

check out the F-16 site ,-and its ISAF conparison
plus a really nice basic box rule diagram with basic specs of L B W sail area etc
http://www.geocities.com/F16HPclass/
when you have time

good luck with the F-14 building project
sounds really interesting .

best regards

ISAF, Texel and now NMBR [Re: sail6000] #29455
02/11/04 06:17 AM
02/11/04 06:17 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Carl and others,

Over the years a new measurement based system was worked out. (Carl didn't so I did); It works in a similar way as ISAF and Texel but adresses the problem points of both these systems. Problem points like : light-heavy wind shift, sloop rig cat rigged after adding a spinnaker. Singlehanding versus doublehanding.

This system is currently code named "New Measurement Based Ratings"

The latter system may well function satisfactory in the role proposed by Carl if any of you want to go that way (which I think to be unlikely)

Never the less I wanted to make you aware of the new possibility.

This forum doesn't allow me to post the working excelsheet + tabled input and resulting ratings so any body interested just has to mail me and I will send it to you.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: ISAF, Texel and now NMBR [Re: Wouter] #29456
02/11/04 12:03 PM
02/11/04 12:03 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI

Way to go Wout , it furthers efforts to understand design and helps establish F-type classes -sounds good .

Think the ISAF or Texel are just for quick comparison purposes ,--but not to base a F class on . They should just be used as a snapshot ,-much like a Pn # - and hopefully be within 2 points or so of each other in class when comparing different brand types once modified to max class specs. ,--If not then examine why , often its a clitch in the particular rating system that can only average out numerous vastly different design features --boards to non board types --hi aspect sail plans to low --very heavy to min ht types --etc .

In examining the same types of very similar theoretic designs in a class definition you could actually use existing design software than would examine and compare in great detail the numerous specifics of design and calc. theoretic speed potential in each windspeed then average those in a mid range ---but still an average that varies greatly in conditions ,--also greatly mainly with human ability and other intangables like specialized sailing techniques developed by racing sailors not considered by the programer or designer .--
example --on I 20s many teams will center the rotator on the CF mast w spin up going downwind ,--the rig flexes much more in gusts creating a pumping type action that accellerates faster . This is just one of many , also learning to tune a boat for varied conditions makes huge differences on the race course and in theoretic speed .
how can any equate that?
Any rating "system" is imperfect and an average to some extent .
That is why CLASS racing is the ideal ,-and Formula the best means of including all within a basic box class category .
Concluded that and thought it better to work within ISAF or Texel and just promote Formula type clases .-

A detailed design annalysis would include such comparisons as hull design and form drag with frictional area drag .
Calc the area of wetted surface both static and under various wind strengths and degrees of heel ,-and in seas .The prismatic coeficient ratio of various hull shapes . Volume calc , section comparison ,-stern design and form drag annalysis , then the foils -boards rudders -
hull finish. -weight distribution -moments etc -on to the mast sail plan etc etc etc . It is a very lengthy process full of condition variables compounded by an infinite number of combination design features and new innovation and design add.

It is a fun endeavor , and such a great sport , hope all enjoy the process and appreciate the people involved .

Re: ISAF, Texel and now NMBR [Re: sail6000] #29457
02/11/04 12:56 PM
02/11/04 12:56 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

It is a little simpler than that Carl !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: The MASSES have Spoken!! New Rules posted!! [Re: carlbohannon] #29458
02/12/04 02:41 AM
02/12/04 02:41 AM
South Australia
Darryl_Barrett Offline
old hand
Darryl_Barrett  Offline
old hand

South Australia
An unlimited beam width for a catamaran is fine BUT, the wider the hulls are apart, (assuming the fore and aft position of the mast step position is kept the same), the more prone the cat is to pitch poling due to the increased sail dynamicly generated down ward pressures transfered to the bows. In fact, rather than achieving a more stable base by widening the distance between the hulls, the reverse is always the outcome when the ideal ratio between hull beam, hull waterline length, mast hieght, sail area, and aspect ratio of sails, is exceeded. A very rough "laymans" measurement for this is approx 14' length, 7' beam, upto 25'6" mast hieght, and an approximate sail area of 130 sq ft (depending on the aspect ratio, the lower the aspect ratio the larger the controlable -with advantage- sail area that can be carried. The use of a spinnaker falls outside these dimensions as all sorts of dynamic changes occur to the controlability of the boat with the kite, all of which are able to be comfortably incorporated on the same cat.

Re: The MASSES have Spoken!! New Rules posted!! [Re: Darryl_Barrett] #29459
02/12/04 09:26 AM
02/12/04 09:26 AM
D
davidtilley Offline
davidtilley  Offline
D

Who says the mast and hull positions are staying the same?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 420 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022