04/06/04 06:11 PM
04/06/04 06:11 PM
Miami, Fl USA
Ricky Offline OP
stranger
Ricky  Offline OP
stranger

Miami, Fl USA
On the Harken site there's a link that shows a F-20 w/ a self tacking jib track. Has anyone here tried to do this on a H-14 turbo? If so How? What part's did you use? If you all think that this would be a bad ideah; Would it be worth my while to add tracks on either side of the mast like the aussie do on 16's. All this because i know were gonna have to sheet the jib in super close with a chute up and because i think this would be very cool. Also would it be worth it to invest in a boomvang set up. i have a 3:1 dowlhaul but it doesn't realy get used much, i keep it prety tight most of the time, if there's no wind i don't realy go out. I asked Dave Calvert to Quote me a sq.Top Main he said he'd get back to me/ Does anyone know an approx. cost$$. I'd like to keep with my Hobie Mast and Boom. I'm not too excited about an extra 2ft. And finaly, iv'e read that we can use a "soft" windsurfer mast as a spi. pole. Is this true/ and where can i shop for this?

Thank you
Ricky

Ricky Matos [Email]ricky@jaghtfastship.com">ricky@jaghtfastship.com</
--Advertisement--
Re: Rigging a H-14 turbo [Re: Ricky] #32184
04/06/04 07:21 PM
04/06/04 07:21 PM
Sydney Australia
Berny Offline
addict
Berny  Offline
addict

Sydney Australia
I doubt a self tacking jib set-up could be used with a standard jib, they probably have too much mast overlap. A barber hauler could be rigged quite cheaply to sheet the heady closer inboard.

There's really no use for a vang on a cat unless you plan on sailing very wide angles downwind and need to sheet beyond the traveller, the vang will then hold the boom down but you really should be sailing tighter angles, tacking down and sheeting the main to the traveller. The kite will generate better apparent wind angles and allow you to sail deeper while sheeted tighter.

Your downhaul is an important control, there to alter the drive position and depth in the sail and if you're sailing it too tight you are flattening the main, moving the drive aft which can be slow in certain wind strengths while beating, and definitely slow off the wind.

I'm just now rigging the 430 with a kite using a f/glass w/surfer mast as a pole and it looks ok so far but could be just a tad heavy. I bought the mast s/h in the local trader.
Hope this helps,
Bern

Re: Rigging a H-14 turbo [Re: Berny] #32185
04/07/04 12:23 PM
04/07/04 12:23 PM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
I thought about rigging a self tacking jib, but I thought it was a little expensive and really not worth it. First, you can just measure the front beam and the arc of the clew of the sail to figure out what the radius of the traveler would be as well as the offset from the beam. I think Harken can just make one from your measurements.

The next issue is that the jib would need to be cut down a lot. It overlaps the mast so you would take out a considerable amount. The jib is already small and in some oppinions inneffective, so you could be making a 'bad' design worse.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Turbo and my 14s are rigged with jibs, but I don't plan on sailing with the Hooter and jib. I have rigged them with all 3 sails and you wouldn't believe the mess on the tramp! I just thought it was a lot of work for something that wouldn't pay off as much. Perhaps if I had a self-tacker, it would change everything. I'm all about doing new things to the 14, but this issue is all about money.

On the square top, you should contact Sabre sails about it. They made Bob's and my Square top and I am extremely happy with mine. I'm sure they would work with you on what you want in a sail and what you want to pay. They are very interested in the F14 Hobie thing and are just great people to deal with.

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 539 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022