04/16/04 09:42 AM
04/16/04 09:42 AM
D
dstgean Offline OP
journeyman
dstgean  Offline OP
journeyman
D

moored next to you? I am quite interested in picking up a small cruising cat and this seems perfect for my interests. I am used to backpacking and kayak camping, so keeping it light shouldn't prove to problematic. Bob sent me a bunch of detailed pictures, but it's still hard to get a handle of the boat over the net. Have you seen the condition of the sails? Bob says that the jib is OK but needs a new sun cover for the roller furler. Teh main is apparently "dirty but good". Since I'd either be flying down to check out the boat or driving down to pick it up from Chicago (1000 miles), any information you can give me from your perspective would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

--Advertisement--
Re: Clayton--What's your assessment of the R21... [Re: dstgean] #32405
04/19/04 09:40 AM
04/19/04 09:40 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA

The boat looks in really good shape. Tramps are new I believe and the engine is really clean (dosen't show neglect). I can do an inspection for you if you want and look closer, maybe even get the sails out and get some pics. Let me know what you would like and I'll see what I can do. Having an un-attached pair of eyes is not a bad thing, especially when you're so far away.

For cruising and gunkholing that boat would be great. Lighter than my Stiletto 27 but in the right conditions just as fast or faster. It has plenty of room for misc. gear both on deck and in the hulls. I'll try to get a look inside and get some pics there too if you want.

Clayton

Re: Clayton--What's your assessment of the R21... [Re: Clayton] #32406
04/19/04 03:35 PM
04/19/04 03:35 PM
D
dstgean Offline OP
journeyman
dstgean  Offline OP
journeyman
D

Bobby, the owner has been good about sending me some high resolution shots of just about everything. I havn't seen the sails and am just going on his information so far. He says that the Jib needs a new protective sun cover for the roller furler, the main is dirty but ok, and a new drifter. Not sure exactly what that is...perhaps a genoa, or a asymetrical chute? He has also refinished the trailer. This is one of the most important items for me since I would have to trailer it either 1000 miles back to chicago or 1000 miles down to my in-laws house on Sanibel, FL. I'm trying to figure out if I should fly down and test sail it in May or just drive down with the intention of picking it up and heading toward FL. I'd like to sail it first. Even more than that, I'd like to help break the boat down for trailering so that I might have an idea of how to put it back together later. Any thoughts there?

Re: Clayton--What's your assessment of the R21... [Re: dstgean] #32407
04/19/04 03:37 PM
04/19/04 03:37 PM
D
dstgean Offline OP
journeyman
dstgean  Offline OP
journeyman
D

I managed to repost most of the information from the original. Whoops

Re: Clayton--What's your assessment of the R21... [Re: dstgean] #32408
04/19/04 04:32 PM
04/19/04 04:32 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA

A drifter is a really light reacher/asym. Because of the light material it dosen't take much wind to fill it.

If you could do a test sail (even if you drive down to pick it up at the same time) that would be the best option in my opinion. You get to see all of the systems in operation; sails, engine, blocks, etc. That minimizes any suprizes when you do get it back in the water. Then you would also de-rig it for the road, big help. When I purchased my stiletto, I drove to N.C. to pick it up going on only pictures. The pics were accurate though and I am well pleased. We only motored it a couple of miles to the marina where we hauled it out and de-rigged. While taking down you really look at everything which is a plus.

The 21 is a nice boat, great for traveling and camp/sailing or what ever as take down and setup should be much quicker than my Stiletto. That will make it easier when deciding on a short trip. I will be looking at taking it to Fla. next summer though, do a little cruise in Santa Rosa sound and maybe the gulf. I'll probably keep it there for a month or so then sail back to Miss. keep it there for a while then bring it back to LA.

Good luck, let me know what I can do for you.

Clayton

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 486 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022