07/18/05 08:10 AM
07/18/05 08:10 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
WOW! I finally found some time and extra $$$$ (really only $ 49 on sale!) and replaced my trailer lights with LED's. Holy #$%@ !!!!!
I think the people behind me will need sunglasses. They are some serious bright even in daylight. At night I'm almost thinking tooo bright. Still, I wish I had bought additional kits to replace all my trailers (4) lights with these. I also took Jakes experience to heart and put the whole system on it's own circut....... AND mounted the whole thing up on the guideposts to keep them out of the water........... AND used Plumbers GOOP inside the shrinkwrap. Now, if I could just stop the planes from thinking these LEDS are landing lights for a runway........

Could anyone tell me whether the AMBER RUNNING LIGHTS on the side of the trailer are mandatory or not anymore since the cat on the trailer is over 80 inches wide? I attached them but I'm not sure if I needed to. Seems like just another thing to go wrong and since they are mostly hidden by the hulls I thought about by-passing them. The kit I bought said "for trailers over 80 inches" but then didn't include the amber running lights (I had them on the trailer already) which got me to wondering but they were there (and worked) so I just spliced them in.
Now I'm thinking I didn't have to. A friend, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, suggested putting a length of the blue Painters Tape on the rear beam on top of which he wanted a section of "OVERSIZED LOAD" tape. Not really a bad idea if I was going any distance with the boat and trailer.

Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trailer Lights [Re: Al Schuster] #34208
07/18/05 08:52 AM
07/18/05 08:52 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
Jimbo  Offline
J

Many modern monohulls are now equipped with fiber optic lights. This should be really easy to adapt to trailer lights. The light sources are simply located inside a little box up by the tongue of the trailer and fiber optic lines run to the desired locations. It's really easy to make one little light box waterproof. All the rest of the components in the system are non-corroding plastic. I woudn't be suprised if someone already makes a kit, but it would be an easy DIY project if not. The light sources could be LED's if you desired.

Jimbo

Re: Trailer Lights [Re: Jimbo] #34209
07/18/05 09:36 AM
07/18/05 09:36 AM
Northfield,NH USA
bullswan Offline
Pooh-Bah
bullswan  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Northfield,NH USA
NOW you tell me! Usually I'm behind the learning curve by months but you've put me there in mere hours!
Would be a great idea though. I would have thought the fibre optic cabling itself would be cost-prohitive to use for this kind of situation... or has the price dropped as the technology evolves?

Greg

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. - George Will
"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so" -Ronald Reagan
Re: Trailer Lights [Re: bullswan] #34210
07/18/05 09:54 AM
07/18/05 09:54 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I can just imagine trying to repair a severed or chaffed fiber optic cable...proper installation would undoubtedly be critical to success. I think I'll stick with the 12V distribution system to sealed LED units.

Jake Kohl
Re: Trailer Lights [Re: Jake] #34211
07/18/05 11:54 AM
07/18/05 11:54 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
Jimbo  Offline
J

It's become so cheap and easy it's a joke! The cable is made of special plastic and costs few cents a foot. The only critical thing is cutting it off smooth and square, but they have a special cutting plier for that. Chafing should be no more an issue than for electric wire. If you anticipate chafing, just use braided sleeve or the like.

Jimbo

Re: Trailer Lights [Re: Jimbo] #34212
07/19/05 03:30 PM
07/19/05 03:30 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
I checked Pep Boys Auto Parts last night. They have a 12 white LED insert that replaces a conventional #1157 12 volt double filament bulb for $9 each. These should NEVER ever burn out, and probably run 5 LEDs for the tail light, the rest for stop(?). I'm going to spend $18 to NEVER futz with lights again-- at least if I permanently solder the new bulb contacts to the 12 v wires inside conventional tail light assembly.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Trailer Lights [Re: dacarls] #34213
07/31/05 10:25 PM
07/31/05 10:25 PM
Waterbury, Vermont
paddlerbob Offline
stranger
paddlerbob  Offline
stranger

Waterbury, Vermont
ground, ground, ground wire. 90% of light problems are from bad ground at the light or at the frame. If all else works you should check the ground at the light. I never frame ground anymore, to many problems. I always run a wire to each light on boat and snowmobile trailer and solder then heat shrink the connection.
Good luck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 203 guests, and 239 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022