Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Righting Pole myths [Re: RickWhite] #37428
08/29/04 11:26 AM
08/29/04 11:26 AM
NW Washington
Danno Offline OP
Danno  Offline OP

NW Washington
Just tried that Rick. Works much better, thanks :-) I thought it might be too heavy for that, but it's not. I used a 6' stepladder for rear support and think I'll use my 8' to get it higher to start with.

The worst part, which ain't that bad, is letting it back down by hand. Walking backward to the rear beam with the mast seeming to get heavier as I go, momentum shifts being important. Only fell off the tramp once, but the mast landed in tree branches...just joking.

My nephew and BIL are visiting. After the little tike's soccer game, hope to get the sails up on the lake for the first time.

Speaking of which, I could use some suggestions about standing rigging tuning. I've got a forestay and 2 shrouds. The previous owner has the shrouds about midway adjusted and the forestay out to max. Gives it aft rake, which is what I want, right? But I don't know what steps or guidelines to use for proper adjustment. How tight are the wires supposed to be?

Time for breakfast :-)

Danno

Danno
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Righting Pole myths [Re: Danno] #37429
08/29/04 03:44 PM
08/29/04 03:44 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Wires should be snug enough that the mast doesn't 'boing' around on land. Mast rake is not that important unless you start racing. Also keep in mind that the leeward shroud will always dangle loose while you are sailing (so don't worry). Now get out on the water!

Jake Kohl
Re: Righting Pole myths [Re: Danno] #37430
08/29/04 04:19 PM
08/29/04 04:19 PM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
Danno:

I just came back from teaching my daughter to right her Hobe 16 with a righting pole. You should have easily been able to pull that mast up, but don't put the weight on the tip; it probably leveraged at 100 lbs. Remember that the wind under the sail helps to lift it. Also, you have to leverage your weight AWAY from the boat.

Remember to loosen your jib and mainsheets; loosen your traveler and let it fall all the way to the end of the boom.

Go back to the backyard. This is a combination of art and science. You'll get it to work with patience.

Wyatt

Re: Righting Pole with Righting Line [Re: Danno] #37431
09/12/04 12:59 PM
09/12/04 12:59 PM
M
marina_menace Offline
stranger
marina_menace  Offline
stranger
M

I have been sailing my G-Cat 5.7 for 20 years and have only been over a half dozen times (either I am good or a wuss). Every time I was able to right the boat using the righting line attached to the base of the mast with my crew. (although once when solo I had help from a passing motor boat).

Get out on the water, you'll learn more in a day then if you study up on it for the rest of your life! I had never sailed a cat when I bought mine and for the first year the definition of a successful sail was no injuries/no dammage!

Also, gotta love g-cats. The forward cross bar and tramp make mast stepping a breeze because you can do it from the front of the boat where I can gain significant advantage by having a partner stand in the bed of my truck thereby geting the mast up pretty high before lifting from the boat itself. If I had a different boat I might consider trailering the cat backwards (eg. stern to forward end of trailer) thereby being able to use the tow vehicle to gain mechanical advantage.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 186 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022