Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Hi scooby

thanks for that warning! I think your are right about my block on the top of the mast .

I think the best way to measure the mast bending, is using the sail without inserting it into the leech but attaching the head of the sail at the top of the mast as normal. then connect the cunningham and the mainsheet with the free hanging sail and pull them both tight.
To measure, use a small chord tied to the top and to the gooseneck, and go on as bill described before.

thanks all for sharing your knowledge!

I meant your mainsheet blocks colliding when the halyard breaks - seen in once when a shackle went while sailing and the boom became unattached from the sail - ergo shattered mainsheet triples - V Expensive !!!!!!!!

You could just do it with the sail in and use cotton or 1mm line / whipping twine etc....

Last edited by scooby_simon; 10/02/04 04:42 PM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
-- Have You Seen This? --
Your outhaul to loose! [Re: alutz] #38375
10/02/04 03:11 PM
10/02/04 03:11 PM
US Western Continental Shelf
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

Tension the outhaul. That is my first piece of advice after seeing the picture.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: Your outhaul to loose! [Re: hobiegary] #38376
10/03/04 02:59 AM
10/03/04 02:59 AM
hobiegary Offline
old hand
hobiegary  Offline
old hand

Your outhaul; It is too loose.

I tried to edit my previous post, but this forum only lets you edit a post within mere minutes of posting it.

GARY

Santa Monica Bay
Mystere 6.0 "Whisk" <--- R.I.P.
Re: Your outhaul to loose! [Re: hobiegary] #38377
10/03/04 01:11 PM
10/03/04 01:11 PM
Switzerland
alutz Offline OP
enthusiast
alutz  Offline OP
enthusiast

Switzerland
Hi Gary

It's not the outhaul. the strange thing is, you can pull the outhaul tight and it is still there. now with less prebend, the mast bends more above, and the effect is almost gone.

good sailing

Andi, Switzerland
Team OST
Re: Pictures and review [Re: scooby_simon] #38378
10/08/04 04:38 PM
10/08/04 04:38 PM
S. Florida
BRoberts Offline
enthusiast
BRoberts  Offline
enthusiast

S. Florida
Hey Scooby,
Don't take me so literal. If the halyard is not strong enough to induce normal mast bend, then use a substitute line. Borrow a dock line from a 60ft monohull if necessary. That should be large enough to do the job. Some boats like some A cats don't use halyards. They simply turn the boat over on the beach and tie the sail to the top of the mast.
The important thing is to bend the mast to a point at or near the max bend you ever sail with. Then measure the mast bend offsets every foot or so from the gooseneck to the top of the mast.
Take this data home and make a table. Plot the curve, mast deflection vs luff length, and make sure it is smooth; no bad measurements. Divide the max mast bend offset into the other offsets and express the mast bend data as a percentage of max mast bend. Give a copy of all of this work to your sailmaker and he will fix your sail.
Bill

Re: Pictures and review [Re: alutz] #38379
10/08/04 05:06 PM
10/08/04 05:06 PM
S. Florida
BRoberts Offline
enthusiast
BRoberts  Offline
enthusiast

S. Florida
Hello Andreas,
There are simple ways to connect mainsheet blocks to boom to clew of mainsail and affect mast rotation and there are complicated ways. Simple ways usually work best and they are lighter weight and less expensive. It sounds like you have a complex system with everything interactive. Check out the ARC system, web site, with a very lightweight boom, small Al tube, in a batten pocket along the foot of the sail with a long adjustable clew plate along the foot of the sail at the clew. Mast rotation is affected by what hole in the clew plate you connect the mainsheet to the mainsail with. An aft hole produces more mast rotation and a forward hole produces less mast rotation. This is a very simple system and no gooseneck is required at the front end of the boombatten. Goosenecks are old fashion, parts from the past.
Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 306 guests, and 227 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022