04/22/05 11:10 AM
04/22/05 11:10 AM
South Florida
SOMA Offline OP
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline OP
enthusiast

South Florida
Where do we pull out our boats once across the finish line? Is there a ramp close by or do I have to turn around and sail back?? (that last part is a joke, of course). But seriously. Where do I tell my wife to pick me up?

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
--Advertisement--
Re: Miami - Key Largo finish line [Re: SOMA] #47866
04/22/05 11:29 AM
04/22/05 11:29 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fred,
Is this the first time you have done the race? There are basically three places where boats pull out after the race -- Rowell's Marina, about Mile Marker 104.5 bayside, Caribbean Club, about Mile Marker 104 bayside, and Gilbert's Resort, mile marker 108.

If you have never done this before, to make it easy on your wife, this is what I would suggest.

As soon as you and your boat are dumped off at the beach, your wife should take the vehicle and trailer to Key Largo -- no stopping to take pictures at the Card Sound Bridge or anything like that. Just tell her to go straight to Gilbert's and go all the way to the back of the property and find a slot to drop off the trailer. And then she can go back to the bridge or go shopping or do whatever she wants. The important thing is to get a spot for your trailer EARLY.

Gilbert's is about Mile Marker 108, right before she crosses the Jewfish Creek lift bridge onto Key Largo.

For the sailors, the race ends at the north end of Jewfish Creek. After you finish, you sail on south through Jewfish Creek until you get to the lift bridge. You wait until the bridge opens and go through the bridge. Gilbert's is a motel on your right side immediately after you go through the bridge. Sail on down to their little beach, and you can pull out there. If that is too crowded, you can keep going around their peninsula to your right and up the lagoon on the back side until you get to their launching ramp, which is up by the front of the restaurant building.

But if your wife follows my directions, your trailer is going to be down by the beach.

Be careful going in to the beach, because there are rocks under the water where it gets shallow.

If you want directions to the other places, e-mail me.

Re: Miami - Key Largo finish line [Re: Mary] #47867
04/22/05 12:23 PM
04/22/05 12:23 PM
South Florida
SOMA Offline OP
enthusiast
SOMA  Offline OP
enthusiast

South Florida
Yes Mary, it's my first time.

If there is a current through the Jewfish creek, is there a place to hold on so I don't hit the bridge? Should I bring an anchor??

sorry if this question is so basic!!

Fred F (ex Hobie 18)
Re: Miami - Key Largo finish line [Re: SOMA] #47868
04/22/05 03:14 PM
04/22/05 03:14 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Those are very good questions, Fred.

There is almost always a current through the bridge, but it is not tidal, it is wind-driven, so it stays the same direction for days at a time. If it is going north, you won't have to worry about the bridge. If it is going south, there is a big open area right before the bridge, with mangroves all around it. You just snuggle your boat up to the mangroves and hang on until the bridge opens.

Now, if the current is going north and the wind is out of the south/southwest as predicted, you might have trouble getting through the bridge against the current, so bring a crew and a paddle -- or hitch a tow from a powerboat.

For a distance race it is always a good idea to bring an anchor.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 326 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022