11/26/02 02:06 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Hopefully, I can address your concerns.
1. The added rig loads. This is the lesser problem, and while I don't want it on my boat, that's just personal choice. But the fact remains that it takes a LOT more rig tension for every reacher setup I've seen.
When using the boat in normal downwind situations there are no added rig loads, and all the dolphin-striker stuff is unnessary. The only reason for keeping the pole stiff with a Hooter is when you try to point while going upwind -- the luff has to be tight (just as it would be with a jib while going to weather.) But the reacher can only be used upwind in very light winds. Most fleets do not even sail in those conditions.
But, in normal conditions the sail would only be used off the winds and does not require the extra beefing up.
2. Here's the big problem: the hooter is, at least in light air, upwind sail area. The rules have a limit on the size of the jib, and if you're sailing with a big triangular tight-luffed sail upwind, that's called a genoa -a jib. The only solution I could see would be to make some "class rule" limiting the points of sail, which seems ridiculous, difficult to enforce, and meaningless for distance races.
As pointed out in the first answer, the sail only works upwind in very light winds. Most classes do not allow races in under 5 knots. At 5 knots the sail would be tough to use. It could be used, but its usefulness would be marginal. Much ado about nothing.
3. No prob. in the U.S., but since the boats have to be sold overseas as well to be profitable, Texel views problem #2 the same way I just described it, and nobody over there will be willing to take that kind of hit.
Look! We sail in the U.S. and Europeans sail in Europe, and Aussies sail in Australia.., and each area has totally different conditions. I see no reason why each can't use sails that best suit their wind and sea conditions. If and when a World Championship should occur, we will find out which would prevail and in which area.
I really believe there will be no problems in allowing cuts similar to the reacher. I have to again ask: What can anyone be afraid of?
If the reacher is faster, perhaps folks will lean in that direction. If they aren't, then no one will use them anyway, including me.

As you know the NAMSA Nationals/Tradewinds Midwinter Open Cat Nationals is coming up in January and will be the Midwinter Nationals for many classes, including the Shark, A-Class, Wave National Series Championship, and we have heard this will be the first time for the three major Formula Classes to get together in the F16, F18 and F20 Classes.
If this is so, it would be a good time to test out what we have been discussing.
However, I will be running the races and my son Dave will be sailing his Nacra 6.0NA. Hopefully, I can find someone that would like to give my Taipan 4.9 set up a try in the F16 Class.
We will just have to see.
Thanks for listening,
Rick
Click on the following hot link for NAMSA/Tradewinds Nationals
NAMSA Nationals/Tradewinds Midwinter Open Cat Nationals

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
--Advertisement--
Rick [Re: RickWhite] #5067
11/26/02 06:28 PM
11/26/02 06:28 PM
M
michael C Offline
michael C  Offline
M

I know you have really great winds down there, but I race quite frequently in 5kts or less. Probably 1/2 of the regattas I've been at in the last year have had winds of 5kts or less in 1 or more race. Must be nice not to have to race in those conditions... I think you're just spoiled by sailing in the Keys
In all seriousness, I say try them out, boat for boat. That's the only way to find out.
This is all just "might-be's"
Before we talk about changing rules we just finalized, let's see if it's worth it.
Michael Coffman
t4.9 #32

Sailor wanted for Tradewinds/NAMSA NAs [Re: michael C] #5068
11/27/02 01:23 PM
11/27/02 01:23 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Perfect place to try this all out is here in January. Unfortunately I will be the PRO and Dave will be sailing a Nacra 6.0.

I would be willing to allow a good sailor to try it out, if they spend a few days ahead of time learning of the idiosyncrasies involved and the little tricks I have managed to discover.
Sorry I have to work
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022